Edelbrock metering rod trashed

-

HTMLmopars

Reaction score
Had some good weather and a bit of time, so I pulled my carb apart to put smaller jets in it, its been running rich for a while, thought it was the elevation I gained on my way back to school, so I finally went to the smaller jet that I know will work perfectly fine for me here. Anyways, I went to pull the metering rods out the top of the carb before I pulled the cover off, and one didn't want to come out. I pulled the other one, then pulled the top, and sure enough, the bottom of the rod was bent at a right angle. Had to bend it back to get it out, but I have no idea how that happened. Is it possible for that to happen in the carb, or was it just a sloppy assembly the last time I put it together, bending the rod on its way in. I test fit other rods and ran the throttle through to WOT and everything seemed fine, so I figure it's probably just sloppy assembly, but I also don't want to risk destroying my other rods.

Had some good weather and a bit of time, so I pulled my carb apart to put smaller jets in it, its been running rich for a while, thought it was the elevation I gained on my way back to school, so I finally went to the smaller jet that I know will work perfectly fine for me here. Anyways, I went to pull the metering rods out the top of the carb before I pulled the cover off, and one didn't want to come out. I pulled the other one, then pulled the top, and sure enough, the bottom of the rod was bent at a right angle. Had to bend it back to get it out, but I have no idea how that happened. Is it possible for that to happen in the carb, or was it just a sloppy assembly the last time I put it together, bending the rod on its way in. I test fit other rods and ran the throttle through to WOT and everything seemed fine, so I figure it's probably just sloppy assembly, but I also don't want to risk destroying my other rods.
Unfortunately, I don't see how it could happen except by careless reassembly. Sorry.

well the bright spot is that those rods are still easy to replace. I don't think anybody makes replacement 3step TQ rods anymore.

Honestly, I'm not that worried about the careless reassembly, I have a kit, so I put different rods in, not the ideal tune up, but she runs better than before. Just glad the carb isn't eating rods on its own, that'd be more concerning than me being an idiot on reassembly

Pulling the rods before you put the top back on will keep that from ever happening again.

If that 90 degree rod wasn't inserted in the primary jet that would be your rich condition. A wide open primary jet without metering rod would run extremely fat. You may not need smaller jets.

Jerry

If that 90 degree rod wasn't inserted in the primary jet that would be your rich condition. A wide open primary jet without metering rod would run extremely fat. You may not need smaller jets.

Jerry
You're right, but I have seen pretty decent fuel economy with the jets I just put in, I don't remember why I stepped back up to the bigger ones that just took out. Just need to get my A/F gauge installed and then actually tune the thing

-
Back