Edelbrock Performer Heads

-

Jim Kueneman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if there is water in this area on these heads? How much can I remove?

88D89B17-896D-444F-A91A-D214886956B2.jpeg
C61909D3-067B-45CF-8869-D5EE0D9A336B.jpeg

How about a metal shim like a header flange and gaskets to push it out?

You should be safe with a "little" clearance work there.
But a spacer is definitely a safer option.

I have several sets of those heads.
I am pretty sure no water near there = But
it does not hurt to Sonic test them.
I would not be concerned with taking .250 off them
but could it not come off of the manifolds at least part of it

I have several sets of those heads.
I am pretty sure no water near there = But
it does not hurt to Sonic test them.
I would not be concerned with taking .250 off them
but could it not come off of the manifolds at least part of it

some but they are thin there. I’m picking them up Friday to work them this weekend. Ordered those flanges too.

That's the catch, at this level ...they expect you have some headers.

I'd grind as little as possible and look at stacking gaskets, percys, a thin header flange by itsel and thin gasket on each side.
If I was intent on using those 340 hp manifolds.

That's the catch, at this level ...they expect you have some headers.

I'd grind as little as possible and look at stacking gaskets, percys, a thin header flange by itsel and thin gasket on each side.
If I was intent on using those 340 hp manifolds.

273 Early A manifolds. Agree and plan on doing just that.

We have machined .150 off the exhaust on the Edelbrock Heads
without issue in Stock/Superstock as well as the Iron "X" heads.

You can probably guess why if you know us.

Get ahold of Steve Dulich & ask him.... He found water... I used an old header flange as a shim...

I don't know how much can be removed, but I bolted a set of 340 manifolds to the Eddys on my 340. Found the driver's side down pipe hit the head, so I ground the head until it cleared. Didn't hit water. Have headers on the car now, but the ground-on head is still the same and has not leaked in the couple of decades I've run it since I ground on it.

I probably would not have had the nerve to grind on the head if I had had access to forum discussions of the issue, but sometimes one survives being ignorant.

I am only going by the pics, but I doubt there is water therte, two resasons:
- that ridge is part of the deck strength to seal the h/gasket, so would not be weakened with a coolant jacket along the edge.
- nearby h/bolt hole, will be solid area for strength.

Aren’t you concerned about port mismatch using those manifolds with those heads?

Aren’t you concerned about port mismatch using those manifolds with those heads?
Nope. Only reason I went aluminum was because it’s my daughters car and I wanna make sure it doesn’t overheat i.e. better cooling and that it doesn’t detonate i.e. I get a nice 0.035 quench plus it removes about 50 pounds of weight. that’s the only reason I want aluminum on the other daughters Duster and it’s worked out perfectly Car can run the AC all day and 110 and run perfectly cool, doesn’t detonate with spark advance that the engine really wants. None of my cars of really ever been over probably 3500 RPM.

-
Back