Edelbrock Performer RPM on a '69 Cuda 340 Hood clearance???

-

RealWing

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone installed one of these on a 69 Cuda? Did you use a lowered air cleaner to ensure you could clear the hood? Looks like it is about 1" taller than a stock CI manifold. If so, what air cleaner drop did you use??
Thx
Jim

Used Mancini’s dropped base. It clears the hood insulation as well on my 68 dart.

Thanks guys - Looks like Mancini is the best option for use with the stock 13" air cleaner lid. Only final concern is that using a drop base results in a restricted flow area between the base and lid.

I just put one of the Mancini drop bases on the cuda. I ended up using a 3/4 inch taller filter which put me back to roughly the same hood clearance. Jim, I could make some measurements for you if you like, I still have the stock filter as well.

Bingo! New air filter measurements are now in order. I used a wix filter with some room left over before it hits the insulation pad. Hey don’t have the number handy at the moment though.

If you have clay (so damn handy that stuff) assemble it all up and make a tower of clay for up top the lid in 5 spots. Middle, fore and aft, left and right. Open & close the hood and presto, now you now how much more you can go.

I was reading somewhere that the carbs likes a min. of 2-1/2 above the choke tower before the performance becomes hindered and bad. While more above the choke tower the merrier, I do t think a hole in the hood is what I would be doing! LOL

I have done the clay with the old filter. I could try it again as well. My setup is completely different, but could show the difference in clearance using the two different bases.

IMG_3984.JPG

IMG_3983.JPG

I checked the air flow space between the base plate and cover on my stock air cleaner assembly with a 2.75" K&N filter in it. The gap is 2" at the closest point. I wonder if it is less with the mancini drop base??

IMG_5415_1280x960.JPG

Yes it will be because the filter itself hasn’t changed but only the height where the filter sits on the base. Mancini says iris a one inch drop, (if accurate) then you’ll have an inch more clearance which can be added to what you have now.

The only problem is accuracy on the drop base. Then adding that to the new filters height. It could leave some room on the table, or worse yet, but the hood.

Now that I can check.... WIX 42044
2-11/16 in height.

0E764BF6-2A3E-4F61-B4E3-7E7720F1A765.jpeg

Last edited:
Jim

I tried the same method of measuring and I got 1 1/2 inches for the stock baseplate and 1 1/4 inches for the drop base. Mine is a MP replacement filter assembly, if that makes a difference. I was also using a K & N replacement air filter. The drop base as you can see has a flatter approach to the carb, so not sure what that does to air flow. They call it a 1 inch drop, but I measured closer to 7/8 inch.

drop base 1.jpg

drop base 2.jpg

drop base 4.jpg

drop base 3.jpg

For others that may be interested, here is a comparison of the stock filter with the stock base and the new 3/4 inch higher filter with the drop base. I get 2 inches of clearance inside, and also a bit of extra clearance around the bottom, which should allow more airflow into the filter. Hood clearance remains about the same.

drop base 5.jpg

drop base 6.jpg

drop base 7.jpg

For others that may be interested, here is a comparison of the stock filter with the stock base and the new 3/4 inch higher filter with the drop base. I get 2 inches of clearance inside, and also a bit of extra clearance around the bottom, which should allow more airflow into the filter. Hood clearance remains about the same.

Thanks!!!

Exactly what I was looking for
Jim

My above posted edited for filter height of 2-11/16.

-
Back