Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 EFI

-

JoesEdge

Reaction score
Been wanting to go the EFI route and had been looking at this system.

Has anyone else been interested in this too?

This model is pretty new and replacing the Pro Flo 3, obviously.

They start around 1,700 bucks but it's full sequential EFI can comes with pretty much everything about fuel system.

Last edited:

They start around 1,700 bucks but it's full sequential EFI can comes with pretty much everything about fuel system.

I have it in my garage waiting to go on a 68 charger. That car was previously running a previous pro-flo multi-point EFI system. The difference was it wasn't a self tuning setup. After several costly trips to the dyno to try and get a base set up I saw the light...

The Pro-Flo 4 has a LOT of improvements over the pro-flo 3 from what I can tell. It is a very a nice kit. I wish I could tell you how it runs but I haven't had time to install it yet.

There was a big height difference on the manifolds though, so the new kit required a hood scoop to fit the charger. Also something to note, I blew up 3 or 4 of the external fuel pumps that are an option when you buy the kit. Do yourself a favor and spend the money on an in-tank fuel pump setup and you will be saving money in the long run.

I have it in my garage waiting to go on a 68 charger. That car was previously running a previous pro-flo multi-point EFI system. The difference was it wasn't a self tuning setup. After several costly trips to the dyno to try and get a base set up I saw the light...

The Pro-Flo 4 has a LOT of improvements over the pro-flo 3 from what I can tell. It is a very a nice kit. I wish I could tell you how it runs but I haven't had time to install it yet.

There was a big height difference on the manifolds though, so the new kit required a hood scoop to fit the charger. Also something to note, I blew up 3 or 4 of the external fuel pumps that are an option when you buy the kit. Do yourself a favor and spend the money on an in-tank fuel pump setup and you will be saving money in the long run.

Nice! Thanks for your follow up. I was thinking that this system was too spendy for the FABO crew or something because few have chimed in.

So which version was the car running previously? Was it a Pro Flo 3, or something older? Is it running a smallblock or big block?

I did wonder about intake height because I didn't want to cut a hole in the hood if I ever decided to go with this type of EFI.

I talked to the guy who wrote the manual for the Pro Flo 4 and he was very enthusiastic about it. This was at the recent even at the Irwindale Speedway in California.

He told me that they do extensive testing in the winter time. They drive several cars equipped with the Pro Flo from central california down the coast and all the way up to Big Bear (that's about 6,500 feet elevation), again in the Winter time. They leave the cars parked overnight and fire it up in the morning to test cold weather starts (Big Bear is below freezing in the winter). Obviously, going from the coast to Big Bear tests out the self-learning when it comes to elevation changes.

That really got me excited because after having all sorts of problems going up to Big Bear with an Edelbrock AVS carb, I thought it would be cool to have an EFI setup that I didn't have to touch no matter what elevation I'm at.

I'm eager to hear how it runs for you. I'm not looking to make horsepower (well that would be a bonus), but instead looking for MPG and easy driving anywhere I go. My Duster is no trailer queen. It gets driven!

Last edited:

I have very seriously considered this since the prices have come down dramatically.

Nice! Thanks for your follow up. I was thinking that this system was too spendy for the FABO crew or something because few have chimed in.

So which version was the car running previously? Was it a Pro Flo 3, or something older? Is it running a smallblock or big block?

I did wonder about intake height because I didn't want to cut a hole in the hood if I ever decided to go with this type of EFI.

I talked to the guy who wrote the manual for the Pro Flo 4 and he was very enthusiastic about it. This was at the recent even at the Irwindale Speedway in California.

He told me that they do extensive testing in the winter time. They drive several cars equipped with the Pro Flo from central california down the coast and all the way up to Big Bear (that's about 6,500 feet elevation), again in the Winter time. They leave the cars parked overnight and fire it up in the morning to test cold weather starts (Big Bear is below freezing in the winter). Obviously, going from the coast to Big Bear tests out the self-learning when it comes to elevation changes.

That really got me excited because after having all sorts of problems going up to Big Bear with an Edelbrock AVS carb, I thought it would be cool to have an EFI setup that I didn't have to touch no matter what elevation I'm at.

I'm eager to hear how it runs for you. I'm not looking to make horsepower (well that would be a bonus), but instead looking for MPG and easy driving anywhere I go. My Duster is no trailer queen. It gets driven!

Well I just put the manifold on the car last night and I realized I made a mistake in the previous post. I have a pro-flo 3, replacing a pro-flo 2. Shows how long I've had it sitting there...haha! So I'm actually not sure what the differences are between the 3 and the 4. So far its been smooth sailing with the 3.

Well I just put the manifold on the car last night and I realized I made a mistake in the previous post. I have a pro-flo 3, replacing a pro-flo 2. Shows how long I've had it sitting there...haha! So I'm actually not sure what the differences are between the 3 and the 4. So far its been smooth sailing with the 3.
Pictures?

As far as differences go...

The Pro Flo for has a new PCM and from what I've been told Edelbrock is working on new cast throttle body. Basically, what they are trying to do is bring down the cost to make it more affordable. So far, the Pro Flo 4 costs significantly less than a Pro Flo 3.

The new PCM is fully potted and weatherproof. Although, I was told it's not waterproof, just splash resistant. Not sure if the software is much different, but you can actually download the software for the Pro Flo and run it in demo mode so you can see what it looks like.

So you have the Pro Flo 3 working on the car? I think we all would love to see some videos off it running and driving too. Also, what's the hood clearance like? Thanks!!

Last edited:
I think I attached them to this post but it’s been awhile since I uploaded to forums.

0BFAA64F-CDB7-44B6-B2DF-AE3E5881E44C.jpeg

AFE5055F-606D-4AC3-BCAB-5FF127569D9C.jpeg

The hood fully latches but there is no way to fit an air cleaner unless you make it custom. There is only about an inch of clearance with this new manifold. I put the distributor in last night. Ended up having to grind off a molding flange at the front of the head. It’s been awhile (years) since I had installed the distributor from the pro-flo 2. After grinding the flange to fit the new distributor I remember that I had called Edelbrock and they sent me out a skinnier Mallory unit that cleared the head. I probably could have just kept using that one but you know...shiny new parts...

To clearify the two photos above, the one on the shelf is the pro-flow 2 (make me an offer lol).

@Finn

Hey Man! That is pretty cool. Thanks for the posts and pictures. Best of luck with the system. I hope it all goes smooth for you.

Like I said earlier, since the cost of the system came down significantly in price, this has tweaked my eyes to look at them. I love the look of the system a lot. Really bad *** IMO.

As for myself. Not having been down this road, besides what you have mentioned, upgrading to a in tank fuel pump, is there anything else you would recommend?

(I wonder how this would do with boost?)

Can someone send a link to where they found the Pro Flo 3. I have only been finding stuff for chevy or ford motors.

For those looking to make the jump to Multi-Point EFI, this kit is a great option. However, any aluminum manifold can be modified to use with this system if hood clearance is an issue. Wilson Manifolds can install the injector plugs, port your manifold and add upgraded fuel rail mounting brackets.

Instead of just buying this kit, you can easily put you own even higher performance kit together using either the Edelbrock or Holley computer and wiring harness, a dual sync distributor from either manufacturer, a throttle body from either manufacturer or a very high flow throttle body from Wilson, some injectors and there you go. There are only so many components to these kits to make the system work.

The availability of distributors that provide both cam position and crank position sensors is a huge help for retrofitting EFI on older motors. Self-learning, easy to program software and computers and EFI pressure level fuel systems were the largest hurdles to overcome when trying to modernize our old Mopars. These hurdles have been reduced to mere speed bumps with this new technology.

Better components and an intake that fits cost a bit more, but not that much more. This kit is limited to only 600 HP, but that is mainly due to the intake they use in the kit. The computers can support much more.

As far as fuel systems go, using either an in-tank or external mounted pusher pump with a surge tank set-up will out perform any in-tank system unless you build a custom road race tank with multiple snowmobile pick-ups. I'm not talking about just the volume of flow out of the tank, but how air free the fuel is when the fuel level is low and high G-forces are at work in the tank from driving.

From all I've heard from every tuner that works with this stuff daily, the Holley computers are the way to go as far as self-learning, ease of programming and performance, but for those that want an easy to install, plug and play Multi-Point EFI system; this is a great price with promising performance potential.

I'm bookmarking this thread and following it too.
I am going to be building a 318/390 stroker in the near future and I've been SERIOUSLY looking at these...

Jeff

Ooh, jealous! I got their Gran Daddy, the Pro-Flo 1! The beauty of this system is, they program it for you! Lasted all but 6 months until they came out with the Pro-flo 2 and left all the 1 owners holding the empty sack. They did dangle an upgrade option that sold you the new programmable ECU but it was a pretty sour pill to swallow. Send in the cam card and motor specs and they send you a GMish chip. Of course you change anything and your SOL unless you send them $$ for another burn, probably get a PROM burner and figure it out. I bought it with the plan to MS the hardware anyway. It uses a Magnetti Marelli CPU.

IMG_1796.JPG
Hello: Refugee here from FBBO. Purchased the Pro Flo 4 for the 69 Coronet R/T for the same reasons as the OP. On back order until 10/26/2018. Looking for better performance in hot weather and high altitudes. Car is a driver. Runs perfect here at home at sea level. 4200 feet Reno @101 dgrees not so much. Got a million dollar tank from rickstanks in El Paso, and an access door for the trunk floor from Detroit Speed. Also,looking to extend fuel range from about 200 miles to 250 or more. 850 Demon works good, but ethanol causes heat soak fuel boil at 172 etc. Will be watching this thread. Thanks.

I’m following your thread over there.

We did a SBC Pro Flow 4 in my shop reciently. The truck had the original Pro Flow system on it (with some issues) when it came in. One of the reasons the Pro Flow 4 is less expensive is they deleted the fuel pressure regulator from the system. Not a big deal, but if you don't have one handy it will slow your installation progress.

So that’s an extra part to get before it runs?

-
Back