EDELBROCK PRO FLO 4

-

GMachineDartGT

Reaction score
Does anyone have real world experience with the Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 Injection kit?

I ran the Fitech kit for 2 years and after working out initial bugs from Fitech's too fast to market glitches, it was pretty good. However, after an issue with the ECU that turned out to be warranteed, I sold the unit after the repair. I simply lost confidence in the unit and have zero tolerance for that as the Dart has always been a reliable hot rod. Losing a tach driver signal at Lime Rock didn't help...
I replaced the unit with an AVS2 with electric choke and an Edelbrock mech fuel pump and its been as good a carb can be, but its not EFI.
For the features and cost, I'm not sure why the Edelbrock system isn't more popular. Multiport with sequential fuel injection with timing control is a huge leap forward over and electronic carb for under 2k. Besides, there is residual money from being able to sell and carb, intake and distributor afterwards.

Hey Boss! Long time no see.

Over at FABO there is a fella or two that have this system up and running. If you do a search here, you should find the same guy that started the thread over at FABO.

Results were encouraging. I may very well do it on a future mill.

I bought one a few weeks ago, it's my winter project. I came to the same conclusion you did, for all the features it's substantially better priced vs the competition.

I'll be posting info and pics as the project progresses.

I'm most likely going with the same unit as well. I've joined the Edelbrock forum, and a lot of great information over there. The general consensus it that it is a great unit. The gentleman that rumblefish is referring to is on that forum, and goes by the name Dennis H. The only person that know that has used one is my engine builder. His comments were that it was well built, and fairly easy to set up. The only complaint is that the instructions sucked, and that it was shipped with a Chevy firing order. He called the tech line to help him get it going. He only dynoed with it, but thought it made great power. Long term reliability is the only question now. I have linked a thread from a few users talking about the system so far.

Any 1 year owners here? - Edelbrock Community Forum

I've eyeballed this as well. I think it's pretty trick but the Super Victor they use has a RPM range from 3k-7k and I'm not quite sure how well that would work on a mild engine like mine.

Last edited:
I've eyeballed this as well. I think it's pretty trick but the Super Victor they use has a RPM range from 3k-7k and I'm not quite sure how well that would work on a mild engine like mine.
Since the intake is only flowing air not fuel, the single plane intake is not as much of an issue as it is when it’s wet.

Curious also, as I just got one also for a winter build. Following. Also still waiting for the fuel sump that was part of sept. promotion. I will say I am surprised at how small the ports on the super victor are.

Last edited:
Pro-flo 1 user here....not really a 'user' but an owner. Its still on the mill ready for its debut. Got it with its matching RPM cam and chip so I just need to richen the mix globally to feed +43 more inches than stock. May ditch the controller altogether and MS2/DIYEFI the hardware but itll probably do just fine on the stock firmware.

Extra bit of info/heads up for anyone who bought one recently.

They had a previous issue with distributor clearance that seems to be fixed, they've started machining the pocket, however they apparently had a few recently made kits where they forgot to drill/tap a second coolant port, so it only has room for the temp sensor for the controller.

I ended up fixing my own, vs sending it back. But be sure to check immediately
IMG_20191009_153414.jpg
IMG_20191010_074959.jpg
IMG_20191010_103347.jpg
IMG_20191010_103721.jpg

Last edited:
You drilled and tapped a hole, just to plug it? :poke:
At least you did it the right way, in the mill.

You drilled and tapped a hole, just to plug it? :poke:
At least you did it the right way, in the mill.
Lolol. Not really. I have a sending unit for my dash temp gauge. I just used a plug to check my tap depth.

A friend of mine is ready to order a ProFlo-4 for his 360.

I had a look at the software upfront and it seems nicely layed out, although the ignition advance options are limited. You can only do basic 3-point 'advance', just like with a regular distributor and 3 steps of 'load'.
Having experience with MegaSquirt with it 16x16 field ignition map, I think it's kinda lame in an otherwise full EFI-system. I would've at least expected something like a 12x12 field ignition map for instance.

A friend of mine is ready to order a ProFlo-4 for his 360.

I had a look at the software upfront and it seems nicely layed out, although the ignition advance options are limited. You can only do basic 3-point 'advance', just like with a regular distributor and 3 steps of 'load'.
Having experience with MegaSquirt with it 16x16 field ignition map, I think it's kinda lame in an otherwise full EFI-system. I would've at least expected something like a 12x12 field ignition map for instance.

Is that something that can possibly be updated to later? Seems like they have already done a firmware update already, so it is an updateable system. I do like that it has a CAN Bus output. I'm talking to the manufacturer of the shift controller that I plan on using about seeing if they can upgrade it to work with the CAN imput.

Extra bit of info/heads up for anyone who bought one recently.

They had a previous issue with distributor clearance that seems to be fixed, they've started machining the pocket, however they apparently had a few recently made kits where they forgot to drill/tap a second coolant port, so it only has room for the temp sensor for the controller.

I ended up fixing my own, vs sending it back. But be sure to check immediatelyView attachment 1715411277 View attachment 1715411276 View attachment 1715411278 View attachment 1715411279

Wild tap holder/driver !!

The tap guide grew legs, so I improvised. I was only using the head to keep the tap aligned with the hole, I drove the tap by hand.

Helps if you have a lathe or a buddy with one. I have probably a dozen 60 degree center pilots of various diameters and lengths turned from drill rod. The different diameters help keep from having to change the collet diameter and different lengths help keep from having to crank the table up or down if you run out of spindle travel. I've been meaning to build one of the spring loaded ones but other things keep taking priority.

Hey Boss! Long time no see.

Over at FABO there is a fella or two that have this system up and running. If you do a search here, you should find the same guy that started the thread over at FABO.

Results were encouraging. I may very well do it on a future mill.

Don't you mean FBBO (B Bodies)?

Let’s see how many responses I get. I already have an advantage over summit as I don’t have to charge tax due to my low volume.

Ok, count me in on the group buy. Also interested in the fuel system too.

A second issue, one that is common to all of the kits from what I can find, is that on iron heads, the injector bosses hang over the valve cover rail far enough to keep the covers from bolting on. I plan to upgrade heads, but for now the J heads will.be staying.

Two options to fix are to either notch the valve covers, or take some material off the intake. I went with option two, I marked off where the gasket clears and took that off plus another .040.

IMG_20191101_095636.jpg
IMG_20191101_095626.jpg

-
Back