Edelbrock Pro Flow 2 EFI system for Dodge 360

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
My room mate used to work at a speed shop and recomended this as the BADDEST manifold set up made. Is this true?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-35260/
Shoot for the money it better be bad ***.

Has any one used this? Just how tuneable is it? Is detuneable enough to drive to the strip and retune? I've been looking at carbs and manifolds and this thing looks plenty bad.

I also noticed the "Green Brick" is running a similar set up so it cant be that bad? ( I would like to build my car in a similar road race/ Drag fashion)

As far as induction goes would I do better to dump the 3,500.00 on some other type of set up? ( supercharger, Nitrous is out and turbos seem complex and expensive.)

This is a very large chunk of change for me so before I go do something stupid please chime in.

I'm not looking to buy the unit right away, but I do have some cash set aside from selling my truck. I was thinking why not go and buy something expensive and just get it out of the way. VS nickel and dimming the money away.

Thanks for looking and you're thoughts.

But the holley projection i do have lots of experience with.The 950 unit is good up to 1000 hp,and every parameter is adjustable from the drive seat.I put it on a 70 340 dart a while back,and it was awsome!You can check it out at summit racing

I haven't seen the Holly one yet, I'll check it out.

Thanks for the heads up.

My room mate used to work at a speed shop and recomended this as the BADDEST manifold set up made. Is this true?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-35260/
Shoot for the money it better be bad ***.

You should have seen the price tag on what Edelbrock started with. The Pro-Flo is built by EFI Technologies, and it appears to be stripped down compared to what these guys sell under their own name. (By "stripped down," I mean it's still a pretty competant drag racing setup, just not something you'd use on an IndyCar.) The manifold itself is a Super Victor reworked for multi-port EFI. Interestingly enough, the injectors in that particular kit would be maxed out at 400 hp.

Has any one used this? Just how tuneable is it? Is detuneable enough to drive to the strip and retune? I've been looking at carbs and manifolds and this thing looks plenty bad.

A Super Victor on a stroked smallblock making 400 hp might seem like too much manifold, but multiport designs often given you a bit more low RPM torque than a carbureted equivalent. However, not everything you know about carbed manifolds goes completely out the window with EFI; a manifold that makes good low end torque on a carb will do the same with EFI. It depends on the rest of the engine combo. However, if you can't make a port injected V8 purr like a kitten at idle on 29 lb/hr injectors, something is very wrong. That goes for any remotely decent EFI controller.

Generally, with EFI, you can get the best results if you hire a competant dyno shop to spend 3-4 hour dialing it in, and then don't retune it unless you start changing your engine combo. While retuning your EFI is pretty easy, once you tune a good system, it stays tuned.

I also noticed the "Green Brick" is running a similar set up so it cant be that bad? ( I would like to build my car in a similar road race/ Drag fashion)

IIRC, it was running Accel DFI with a Holley manifold when they first went injected. Similar setup but parts from very different brands.

I've done some tinkering with Pro-Jection hardware - not the controller, as we were using a MegaSquirt-II controller, but the throttle body. It appears to be a close relative of the TBIs on late '80s 318s. Fuel distribution wasn't any better than with a carb. Went to one of Holley's multipoint manifolds and it was a lot better.

There is a Summit 10% discount code. I haven't used it personally but have read it works. It would be a huge savings when used on that EFI

10% off for $75 or more til 8/19/2010. Code 2RETYV

Good info there Mat. Thanks for the breakdown on EFI.
One quick question, How do you know the injectors are only good to 400 HP?

If that won't build in excess of 400 it seems kinda useless?

I'm sure I could order it with different injectors?

Would you mind linking the set up your running?

Thanks again.

Good info there Mat. Thanks for the breakdown on EFI.
One quick question, How do you know the injectors are only good to 400 HP?

Back of the envelope calculation. Start at eight 29 lb/hr injectors. That's 232 lb/hr total. Injectors don't like to be held fully open, so aim for having them open 85% of the time at peak power. That's around 197 lb/hr worth of flow left. A typical naturally aspirated motor needs around 0.45 - 0.55 lb/hr of injector flow per horsepower. Divide your flow by 0.5, or multiply it by 2, and you've got a decent estimate of how much horsepower the injectors will flow.

If that won't build in excess of 400 it seems kinda useless?

I'm sure I could order it with different injectors?

It does depend on the motor, but if that's a built stroker, I would get it with different injectors. They're a standard size so larger injectors aren't too hard to find.

Would you mind linking the set up your running?

Thanks again.

I've got a complete build diary on my blog; the car is quite a hodgepodge. My Dart is using a MegaSquirt controller. The other parts came from all over the place - Supra Turbo injectors, a Ford 4.6 throttle body, the fuel rail is a 1" square structural aluminum tube, there's an OEM Carter fuel pump on there and an MSD fuel pressure regulator that's actually a Bosch part originally made for an unknown European car. There's a good chance once I get my new turbo install that I'll rip out the cobbled together fuel supply side of things, go with some larger injectors and an SX Performance fuel pump (the guys that build Edelbrock's larger fuel pumps).

I wrote a tech article for my current employer on how to get the MegaSquirt computer working with stock Mopar ignitions based on my experiences with setting up the ignition on the Dart. One of my other future plans on the Dart is to set up a more powerful, crank triggered ignition.

Short version - they're repackaged 5.0 Mustang computers, apparently with a slightly modified tune. It's possible to have a Mustang still run with a lot of modifications and a stock computer, but there's a reason there are so many hacks out there for Mustang ECUs too: Modify a Mustang enough, and the stock calibration won't give you the best power or drivability compared to what you can get with tinkering with the fuel and spark maps.

Wow Mat. Thanks a million. I can't thank you enough for the advice.

I would have gone ballistic had I ordered this only to find I could build more power with a simple Holly 850 DP.....

I have not written off the unit yet, But thank you thank you for all the incite.

I may have to do some more research before I spend my cash.

You're welcome. I'm guessing Edelbrock may just be expecting people with more heavily built motors to spec out the components of their EFI system individually rather than buying a ready to run package. The pump in that package may be somewhat on the small side; it doesn't say what the specs are, but it looks like it may be some sort of Carter or Walbro instead of the SX pumps that Edelbrock sells for very large horsepower applications.

check this one , i think its a very cool and simple way to go EFI if you run a carb , just bolt this on and let it tune itself

0905clt_02_z+ez_efi_system+fast_ez_efi_fuel_injection_system.jpg

-
Back