Edelbrock RPM head casting flaw

-

Mrpatel

512Dart
Reaction score
New Engine loaded on the engine run in stand and ready to install the headers. We pressurized the system and a small leak appeared in the corner of #2 exhaust port. We poked at it and a much larger cavity appeared. I purchased these new 10 years ago, so I am doubtful Edelbrock will do anything for me. We sonic checked all of the other ports and they we all over .240” thick. Glad it happened on the stand and not in the car on the highway. We will call Edelbrock on Monday and see what they say. I am torn between a weld repair or purchasing a replacement. Andrew

0D407B6A-38CC-448F-B9DB-EAA997790BFD.jpeg

93F289C6-3A25-4664-B449-67DE3C99B715.jpeg

6F9E7A7C-6FFC-4FD9-B8D2-6C1F1B30CD91.jpeg

Slight blend. Not .240” worth of material by any means. All other ports received the same attention and are as thick as .330”. Port openings are the same. I intitially though it was break through until we sonic checked them. You can still see an area of the original cast.

I would say all bets are off on Edelbrock doing anything for you. Try to weld it up.

I agree. Just concerned about blocking the water passage off and how much larger the cavity will get. In the top photo, the grey area is untouched and you can see the wall thickness.

You basically have a junk head now. Try to get it welded up. You got ZERO to lose at this point.

Last edited:
I think the fact that its been ground on puts the nail in the coffin for warranty. A good tig welder should be able to take care of that easily.

I agree. Just concerned about blocking the water passage off and how much larger the cavity will get. In the top photo, the grey area is untouched and you can see the wall thickness.

Ahhhh the benefits of an aluminum head.... Fix it and move on. You will be fine....

JW

The "How its Made" series did an intake from the Edelbrock foundry. It was all scrap Aluminum! Probably just for the show, but it showed a bunch of scrap being melted down and poured/machined into a Performer RPM for a 302 IIRC. I cant find it on youtube, but there is one for Wilson CNC billet intakes. Probably 356

I would just call them and ask and while you have them on the phone tell them what happened...they might not give you a new head but could offer some kind of concession although doubtful. An old timer told me that defects occur more often with edelbrock head than other brands. I run edelbrock heads..came with the engine when I bought it; so far so good.

Anyone know what type of aluminum the heads are cast of?

Not a big deal repair. Cleaning the scuzz out is the biggest part of the job. Hobart has a new'ish filler out that's worked very well on heads and blocks.

Product Details - Hobart Brothers Performance Welding Products

I got a set of ported Stage 6 heads super cheap because a guy's GF attacked them with a welding hammer, and his "buddy" tried repairing them with a MIG spool gun. Unsurprisingly that worked like ****, and he thought they were "unrepairable." Maybe 45 minutes with the TIG and then some time on the Serdi and the Rottler and they're significantly better than new. 50/50 mix argon/helium mix, 3/32" 4943 filler. You can also use 4043 filler, which is common as dirt, just less strength. You're not repairing a combustion chamber or something, so I wouldn't sweat the filler material choice, if they welder doesn't have 4943. S/F.....Ken M

I spoke with Edelbrock, they said they would review my case and went on to say that they have never had a casting void in these heads since relase in early 2000’s. They did mention that they could possibly give me a discount on a replacement blank. They recommended using a 5356 filler rod. I will post any updates.

I spoke with Edelbrock, they said they would review my case and went on to say that they have never had a casting void in these heads since relase in early 2000’s. They did mention that they could possibly give me a discount on a replacement blank. They recommended using a 5356 filler rod. I will post any updates.

Just weld it and forget it. I wouldn't worry about blocking the coolant off. Just weld it and forget it happened.

This is why some guys can never port heads for a living. If that little hole wrecks your day you'll hate trying to make money porting. If you are going to grind on heads and intakes you had better either know how to weld or make a welder your buddy. Or live with your port work running slow.

We managed to get the hole welded up last night and avoided filling the hole to the floor. Water should still flow behind the valve and plug. I figured that I would let my engine builder, finish the blend out as he can monitor the thickness with the sonic tester. We used a 1/16” 5356 filler rod. Finger crossed. Thanks Andrew

3E24A359-1462-4F0E-A47D-F4BECBC1B1D8.jpeg

Just weld it and forget it. I wouldn't worry about blocking the coolant off. Just weld it and forget it happened.

This is why some guys can never port heads for a living. If that little hole wrecks your day you'll hate trying to make money porting. If you are going to grind on heads and intakes you had better either know how to weld or make a welder your buddy. Or live with your port work running slow.
Heard that more than once ,in my life ..
If you wanna beat the competition, you need to find ,it. Mopar needs love (and extra cash ) to make it competition ready.
(Sigh.. )

Heard that more than once ,in my life ..
If you wanna beat the competition, you need to find ,it. Mopar needs love (and extra cash ) to make it competition ready.
(Sigh.. )
I smile and say a well executed plan with superior parts will triumph.

If you have the leak fixed I wouldn't even grind on a repair in that location as it won't make a hill of beans difference in the engines performance, and dinking with it may produce another leak.

If you have the leak fixed I wouldn't even grind on a repair in that location as it won't make a hill of beans difference in the engines performance, and dinking with it may produce another leak.

I agree 10000000% percent. Don't touch it. It won't know that little glob of weld is even there. Just let it be, and don't tell the fence leaning gurus what you did, because damn sure if you did they'd tell you you left 5 tenths in the table and totally screwed up the porting.

It won't make a .0001 second difference.

-
Back