Edelbrock S.P.-2P. 318 2V Does it even exist??

-

odcics2

Reaction score
Got a friend looking for the 2 barrel version of the Edelbrock S.P.-2P. 318 intake, which I have only seen in the 4 barrel version. He may be wasting his time.
Anyone ever see one?

Owned one , but have never seen one in a 2bbl. SP2P ...Small port 2 plane? Them runners are like 3/4 EMT. Just put a 4 to 2bbl adapter on it or a plate. Supposed to kick *** in a motorhome or truck or other low RPM app like 2.76 geared cars. Use a small carb too.

2v to 4V adapter would be his second choice on a 4bbl. intake.
Yes, a 2.76 geared truck. A stump puller.
He found an NOS 1969 Carter 2 barrel carb already.

I know they made a 2V for the small block chevy. They appear on ebay now and then. Thanks for the reply.

Had one on a sbc...the only manifold I ever used that gave me less performance than a stock piece.

Had one on a sbc...the only manifold I ever used that gave me less performance than a stock piece.

They are built for bottom end torque & mileage.
I think the word "performance" usually is associated with higher RPMs. So, I'd say you are 100% correct.

Put one on my '67 C30 hauler...Edelbrock had a pkg. deal for towing...intake, cam, headers, carb. Bought the intake and cam...used my old headers and 2bbl Rochester. Went from 10 mpg to 6 mpg.... Oops.

Guess it was the Rochester carb! Joking aside,
first time I heard of a loss in MPGs. Bet you were a little pi$$ed off, having spent a few bucks...

IMG_0116.JPG
IMG_0117.JPG

No. I seen it on the internet somewhere. Might have been here, IDK. I just saved the shot for this very day. And later when someone says they never made one. I'll post it back up. I did have the 4bbl. version twice. NOT a performance hot rod part. Good for mileage and towing. Limited RPM range. Very limited.

Nice!

But, what carb fits it? Not a regular, old, Carter, like on an early 70s 318!

Last edited:
I believe that is what was on the 273 in my Dart when I bought it. Definately Ed 2BBL aluminum. Never found out "what it was." Sold it with the 273

Guess it was the Rochester carb! Joking aside,
first time I heard of a loss in MPGs. Bet you were a little pi$$ed off, having spent a few bucks...
Second time...

My buddy did the complete Ebrock system to his 454 dually...I used to haul my dirt car one night and couldn't get 250 miles on two tanks if fuel.

Last edited:
Second time...

My buddy did the complete Ebrock system to his 454 dually...I used to haul my dirt car one night and couldn't get 250.miles out if two tanks if fuel.

Not a good story... =(
My buddy and I got 10 mpg in his 454 dually, pulling a trailer full of parts and the 8' bed had 23 8 3/4 gears in it. (most with Detroit Lockers) His is all stock with a 4.10

I believe that is what was on the 273 in my Dart when I bought it. Definately Ed 2BBL aluminum. Never found out "what it was." Sold it with the 273

Do you remember what brand the 2v was on it? That's a weird bolt pattern for a carb on the photo posted above.

Here's a stock intake - note the 4 carb mounting holes.
Why are the Edelbrock holes offset?
original 318 intake manifold.jpg

Chevy Sp-2P-2v Same carb pattern as posted above! lol...
Possible photoshop? Who has time for this stuff??
photoshopped intake.jpg

Do you remember what brand the 2v was on it? That's a weird bolt pattern for a carb on the photo posted above.

It had what appeared to be a factory stock Carter 2BBL. I did not mess with it much as I knew I would be "moving on"

It had what appeared to be a factory stock Carter 2BBL. I did not mess with it much as I knew I would be "moving on"
I think it used the larger gm 2/barrel but a 360 carb have same bolt pattern

This was either a factory Carter or Stromberg, don't remember. Hell I may still have the carb lying out there!!!

Why would anyone want a 2 barrel version? A 4 barrel will get better mileage every time with careful driving.

I thought they made a 2 barrel version. In 1981 I walked into a transmission shop and damn near fell over one. Since it was 37 years ago I wasn't sure it was a 2 barrel. Evidently it was as I remember it.

37 years ago.......but what'd you have for breakfast yesterday? LOL

37 years ago.......but what'd you have for breakfast yesterday? LOL

That I can't remember. But I remember that intake sitting right in the way in a cluttered up shop. I even remember the layout of the office. Why he had it laying on the floor I have no idea. His name was Leo. If I think hard enough I'll think of his last name. **** everywhere in that place.

-
Back