Edelbrock TR5

-
This one? Never got a chance to run it myself.
A5539514-3D79-456F-BB90-F9C16847D2C7.jpeg
CC938A1C-B00B-41CC-938D-40EC4E2B4453.jpeg
5C68B5E2-DB8C-4F47-A96D-55ACE9E646F2.jpeg
20BDEDFB-9B89-4048-8709-6AE7A2C3D2FE.jpeg
F27E123E-F3D0-43CE-83FA-6C3B000386DF.jpeg
E48360EA-C43B-4A6C-9F98-DBC68A83742A.jpeg

the 318 i'm putting in my valiant has a tr5 intake and the valiant (coincidentaly) it came from ran a 13.2 second 1/4 with a 4 speed. i'm told it's 'the' tunnel ram to have for a small block mopar, if you can find one.
neil.

318 engine.jpg

the 318 i'm putting in my valiant has a tr5 intake and the valiant (coincidentaly) it came from ran a 13.2 second 1/4 with a 4 speed. i'm told it's 'the' tunnel ram to have for a small block mopar, if you can find one.
neil.

View attachment 1715586345
The car it’s going on is shooting for 125mph. I’m just trying to figure out the best design whether it’s modern or been around for years. Maybe I’ll just try the weiand.

That’s a good question. The one I had (pictured above) is required (unless you drill the top section) to use Holley carbs sideways. The top is a TRY1. The plenum is small/thin unlike the other bath tube type of looking one.

I think you’ll find this one very capable since it was the choice of the “Legends of Pro Stock“ in going fast. I have no insight of the Weiand. We will need a “Been there done that” guy for his thoughts on it.

In speaking with various owners/users of tunnel Rams in general, no matter what intake they were running, they loved them once they sorted them out. Some where not even running big cams. I can’t remember exactly but there was a guy running a tiny 230 or 236 @.050 cam and he loved it. Spoke volumes on how well it worked.

The real secret is the fact (most) T-rams have long runners, which equal torque. There high rpm capability is due to the straight shot the air and fuel have to the intake port/back of the valve.

While these M1’s are more race oriented....
They can work on the street....
C869922D-D83F-4E9F-92BE-6AAAED3F7368.jpeg
AF09CD73-F58A-4290-A80B-4AF3298082C1.jpeg

As well as this Holley....
(Intake, Courtesy of my buddy Mark)

AB69450D-88ED-4729-A43F-8F6C93BF5481.jpeg
60096DE4-26C2-4E79-80FA-B1EC967B1914.jpeg
157308EB-4C5E-45D3-A3A3-4F1BAEC98A0C.jpeg

There are a couple different ones with the same part number. The best one for the street is the one in post #9 that looks like the top was blown up like a balloon. That extra room in the plenums adds a lot of bottom end torque and makes those tunnel rams hands down the best ones for the street. I had one on a stock stroke 327 with two 660 center squirters years ago and it was easy to tune and stayed there. Rock solid.

As well as this Holley....
(Intake, Courtesy of my buddy Mark)

View attachment 1715586476 View attachment 1715586477 View attachment 1715586480
Rumble you have quite the TR collection. I might run a MP TR because there is one local for $250. Either that or I’ll put it on my shelf to look at. The weiand I’m not sure, I’ve heard they make good power but so do all gunnel rams. The TR5 I’ll grab as long as they are a decent plenum and runner design and make power.

But that's the best damned street tunnel ram ever made......That's why Edelbrock called "Street Tunnel Ram". They were badass.....and still are when you can find them.

I just have a pair of M1-TR’s. 1-W2, 1 standard port I’m going to mod for my W5 heads. The Holley is my buddies and I sold the STR to a member here.

Id like to get back into purchasing intakes for dyno testing fun. Now is not the time though.

I just fired up a 340 with that tunnel ram and the top rumble posted. That is a very good TR for the street.

Over 7000ish RPM with a 340 it’s going to struggle. On a 400 plus inch engine it will have issues above 6500 RPM.

Us the top rumble posted and turn the carbs sideways. Make sure you use carbs that have changeable brass, or you will have to do it yourself.

If you are going to tune the carbs yourself, make sure you pin EVERY hole, write it down and take some fuel away at idle.

That’s a very good street intake.

I just fired up a 340 with that tunnel ram and the top rumble posted. That is a very good TR for the street.

Over 7000ish RPM with a 340 it’s going to struggle. On a 400 plus inch engine it will have issues above 6500 RPM.

Us the top rumble posted and turn the carbs sideways. Make sure you use carbs that have changeable brass, or you will have to do it yourself.

If you are going to tune the carbs yourself, make sure you pin EVERY hole, write it down and take some fuel away at idle.

That’s a very good street intake.
Know anything about the weiand? This is a 7k+ engine that will also be street driven. Just looking for the best tunnel ram for the combo.

Know anything about the weiand? This is a 7k+ engine that will also be street driven. Just looking for the best tunnel ram for the combo.

Look at the length of the runner compared to the Edelbrock. I believe they are pretty close to the same. That and cross section is the RPM limiter.

You can fully port the intake. It’s definitely worth the work. The cross section is pretty small on those intakes, so anything you can do to correct increase the cross section area, and get the correct taper, the higher the RPM will be.

Cam selection is also important. Getting enough cam timing to make the RPM you want without killing the bottom end and the gear changes can be tricky.

Look at the length of the runner compared to the Edelbrock. I believe they are pretty close to the same. That and cross section is the RPM limiter.

You can fully port the intake. It’s definitely worth the work. The cross section is pretty small on those intakes, so anything you can do to correct increase the cross section area, and get the correct taper, the higher the RPM will be.

Cam selection is also important. Getting enough cam timing to make the RPM you want without killing the bottom end and the gear changes can be tricky.
Cam is a custom grind from racer brown 254/254 575/575 on a 106. Really fast lobe. Trick flow 190 heads. 10.5 comp .038 squish.

the only way i got mine was the guy had another the same to fit on his 408.
neil.

Yup and you can tell people till you're blue in the face which one is better but they never listen. Oh well. Their loss.

-
Back