EFI fuel tank module for stock tanks

-

myduster360

Reaction score
Last week I stumbled upon an Spectra Premium EFI pump/sender of an E-body on Amazon too cheap to pass up. Its Spectra pn: SP196A1H ($175 on RockAuto). It comes with a genuine Walbro 255lph pump.

Just out of curiosity, I fished it into a spare A-body fuel tank I had laying around. It sure seems to fit awfully well and could be a reasonable alternative to a TANKS setup.

20180328_193756.jpg

There's still no baffle around the pump, so as it is, low fuel levels may suck air but a Holley Hydramat would take car of that.

upload_2018-3-28_20-9-50.png

Last edited:
By the time you did that wouldn't you be in as much as a Tanksinc tank?

it would be close but, then you would only have a tank. if you have a good tank this would be a cheaper option.

just looked it up, around 150 for a tank, 235 or so for the pump. for a 73 anyways.add 50 for a sender.

just looked it up, around 150 for a tank, 235 or so for the pump. for a 73 anyways.add 50 for a sender.

$150 is a standard tank, NOT an EFI tank($211).

If you have a good tank, you save $135

Spectra SP196A1H($175) + Holley Hydramat($159) = $334

From Summit for Tanks Inc setup = $468

upload_2018-3-29_8-22-28.png

Last week I stumbled upon an Spectra Premium EFI pump/sender of an E-body on Amazon too cheap to pass up. Its Spectra pn: SP196A1H ($175 on RockAuto). It comes with a genuine Walbro 255lph pump.

Just out of curiosity, I fished it into a spare A-body fuel tank I had laying around. It sure seems to fit awfully well and could be a reasonable alternative to a TANKS setup.

View attachment 1715158558

There's still no baffle around the pump, so as it is, low fuel levels may suck air but a Holley Hydramat would take car of that.

View attachment 1715158566

Great pic!

I'm looking at this. I may section out a tank to be able to fit exhaust by passenger side on a mini tubbed car. When im in there i could put in a baffle.

Hmmm, I have that hydramat and was going to try doing something like this myself, do you know if the hydramat will work with that pump? Is the inlet the right diameter for it to fit snugly?

I think holley sells different bung adapters, but will it fit under. The OPs first picture places pump pretty close to bottom. If the OP is listening. .. what's your latest on this?

Does the pump have to be completely vertical? I wouldn't think so but i have only run them vertical.

You may find that the hydramat clogs up quite quickly in a semi-rusty tank like that. Off-roaders have had troubles with that, even using very large mats.

If it clogs up once, you've shot any chance of "saving money" going this route.

no baffle. gonna give ya trouble around corners when low on gas...

and man is that tank ugly inside.

Doesn't have to be a hydramat. The Chrysler OEM setup had a "container" around the pump.

xfp144-a.jpg.pagespeed.ic.JU1XCYhF-D.webp

Was about to order the Tank Inc setup but been thinking of cuting up a fairly new tank in my 66 Dart to section room for duals and mini tub...Will baffle when apart...
Thanks for posting this.

no baffle. gonna give ya trouble around corners when low on gas...

and man is that tank ugly inside.

As I said in the 1st post,, the 15" Hydramat will work very well to keep the pump happy

You may find that the hydramat clogs up quite quickly in a semi-rusty tank like that. Off-roaders have had troubles with that, even using very large mats.

If it clogs up once, you've shot any chance of "saving money" going this route.

lol,,, Guys its NOT RUST! While it does't look that appealing, its not rust, not by a long shot. Its actually a healthy spray of some sort anti corrosion treatment. You can actually see the "runs" of the excess spray on application in the first pic. The tank is pretty clean.

Also Hydramats are 15micron so won't easily have issues with common tank debris.

Kkkkl
Was about to order the Tank Inc setup but been thinking of cuting up a fairly new tank in my 66 Dart to section room for duals and mini tub...Will baffle when apart...
Thanks for posting this.
Hey TXDart
Im thinking Ill cut then have it blasted, then baffle, then put together and pressure test. If I can find the tanksinc pump my buddy gave me then its just the float Ill have to get. I would be interested in what pump you go with. the one the OP mentioned looks like an option, but wonder if it needs to be vertically mounted. Please keep me updated to your progress.

Hmmm, I have that hydramat and was going to try doing something like this myself, do you know if the hydramat will work with that pump? Is the inlet the right diameter for it to fit snugly?

Hydramat 16-111 Features:
  • The TI 450 LPH (F90000267), 400 LPH (F90000262) & GSS342 (and others with the 11mm O.D. inlet) plug directly into this HydraMat

That Spectra pump is a GSS342 255lph pump

GSS342 Looks good, but what about mounting? Do you make your own hard line and fit it into the original round locking mechanism on the tank? I dont see the lines and locking mechanism in the kits being sold.

Thanks.

Last edited:
GSS342 Looks good, but what about mounting? Do you make your own hard line and fit it into the original round locking mechanism on the tank? I dont see the lines and locking mechanism in the kits being sold.

Thanks.

The Spectra pump assembly I posted is exactly as its shown out of the box. No need for any of that. Stock lock ring and gasket/seal fits fine.

Baffles aren't needed either with a Hydramat, but of course couldn't hurt.

-
Back