EFI help

-

mopardemon340

Reaction score
with so any different brands of EFI out on the marker what are the better brands. i was looking at the QF, or holley brands.. but is there others that are better. im looking for something that will me really good performance.

I like Holley, but there is one huge issue, which I wish they would reconsider............the ECU is potted with something resembling JB weld, meaning, it is NOT repairable in any way shape or form

If you are a do-it-yourselfer and can solder, consider Megasquirt.

What is your budget? You looking towards TBI or multiport? What engine is it going on?

Another possibility is the "used" market, if you are careful. I got "in" with a Holley Commander 950, and later upgraded the ECU to the Holley HP series and harness. This saved some money. I could have just continued to run the Commander ECU, but it's not "self learning" and it's difficult for me to tune it by myself. There are no Dyno's around here close, and "they cost money."

with so any different brands of EFI out on the marker what are the better brands. i was looking at the QF, or holley brands.. but is there others that are better. im looking for something that will me really good performance.
I put an MSD Atomic EFI on my big block and so far I really like the way it works. No issues at all.

im considering to put it onto my 408 stroker. i want to keep the look of a stock engine from the time period. my budget will be considered by my options. just want to get good MPG and good power when at the track. self tuning is a must

what kind of power increase can i expect out of an EFI over carb

what kind of power increase can i expect out of an EFI over carb

ZERO

If the carb is properly sized and properly tuned, there is no expectation. "What you get" is stuff like ease of retuning with engine changes, better driveability/ startup, especially when cold, cleaner running even with hotter cams. And depending on the system, can control timing, and better protect the engine in case of trouble. AKA pull out timing in case of a fuel pressure drop, etc

^^That's interesting, EZ must not have much in the way of tuning/ MAP sensor etc. Either Holley or Megasquirt, I don't know about others, can be set up with either "Alpha N" or "Air Density." The Holley can be set up to run at Alpha-N at low speed and switch to the other at some RPM

Be careful with this^ without at least 11"hg vacuum this system won't work effectively (per FAST). If the engine has more than 10" it's great, I found out the expensive way and now have a new ez 1.0 sitting in a box.
I have a 2.0 on my 440/505'' wedge, at times during diff. throttle positions I have 11' or so, my system seems to be adapting to it better than stated above.

im considering to put it onto my 408 stroker. i want to keep the look of a stock engine from the time period. my budget will be considered by my options. just want to get good MPG and good power when at the track. self tuning is a must
I run the Holley Sniper on my 408 and its been great. I had a few issues with an external fuel pump in the beginning but the system itself has been great. Plug and play, very basic set up and you're up and running in not time.

I have a 2.0 on my 440/505'' wedge, at times during diff. throttle positions I have 11' or so, my system seems to be adapting to it better than stated above.
Without knowing the OP's build, I offered up my experience, I only run 9" and the EZ ecu couldn't get any kind of idle. After contacting Fastman (where I purchased the port kit during the build) and FAST they wanted my cam card and told me the EZ systems would never work, I had to convert to XFI sportsman with no problems, just cost.

Don't think too much about the 'self tuning' stuff all those EFI kits mention.
Yes they can get the mixture tuned to be around stoich or some user-entered value, but how do you know that's what your engine wants?
The actual tuning still comes from the knowledge and experience of the owner.

A day on a chassis dyno is about the only quick way to get a proper timing and fueltune in your engine.

Don't think too much about the 'self tuning' stuff all those EFI kits mention.
Yes they can get the mixture tuned to be around stoich or some user-entered value, but how do you know that's what your engine wants?
The actual tuning still comes from the knowledge and experience of the owner.

A day on a chassis dyno is about the only quick way to get a proper timing and fueltune in your engine.
Self tuning gets u in the ball park. Tuning w/ a handheld is kick ***, try it you`ll like it, u can find what ur engine likes easily. They told me my cam was too big, but I`m happy w/ it, seems to be overcoming any roughness, do need a little hotter plug tho. Pretty much down for the winter now .

Holley Sniper is a great product with good bang-for-the-buck. Lots of other benefits that people don't know about such as you CAN manually tune the Sniper if you had to. Most other "self-learning" systems can't do that. Example is a radical cam that doesn't produce consistent vacuum at idle of if you have open headers. Tune the idle manually and pick the RPM for learning to kick in.

wht ever you do avoid the ms ultimate, mspro and gold box stuff right now. they are having massive issues and people are being lied to about them.

holley all the way. potted or not. they stand behind their product. only con with holley is dont let it autotune for ever. it allows 40hrs and then locks out and is a dead ecu.

wht ever you do avoid the ms ultimate, mspro and gold box stuff right now. they are having massive issues and people are being lied to about them.

holley all the way. potted or not. they stand behind their product. only con with holley is dont let it autotune for ever. it allows 40hrs and then locks out and is a dead ecu.
Turbo freak can you explain more about this locking out. So how long are you supposed to let it self tune ?

only con with holley is dont let it autotune for ever. it allows 40hrs and then locks out and is a dead ecu.

You are going to have to post "where you got this" because I can guarantee you it IS NOT TRUE

No, I don't work for Holley.

if i can remember it is 40 hours of self tuning. you can allow some safety margine without being in self tuning.
go to holley.com and click the forums section for the efi. sign up and there is some excellent content about that any many other things holley related.
i have an hp with dash but i intend to switch to a dominator before i even get it running

You are going to have to post "where you got this" because I can guarantee you it IS NOT TRUE

No, I don't work for Holley.
i have already seen it happen more than once to professional tuners i know personally. that is how this undisclosed info is available now.

i have already seen it happen more than once to professional tuners i know personally. that is how this undisclosed info is available now.

If you can't do better than that it's horse ****. NObody is going to pay good money for these and "undisclose" that they "lock up and die" If this were true I could type "dead Holley EFI" and get more hits than "general motors"

If you can't do better than that it's horse ****. NObody is going to pay good money for these and "undisclose" that they "lock up and die" If this were true I could type "dead Holley EFI" and get more hits than "general motors"
it doesnt die it just locks it out. was suppose to be fixed with a software update as it does ruin the entire ecu. you can give holley a call amd see if it still is limited to 40hrs of self tune before it locks. it is or was in the instructions at some point but i dont remember where it was found or seen. most just never use it for 40hrs of self learn. mow they just use correction factor percentages to keep it safe. as to avoid that crap all together.
if you want to know the exact details. kcmax tune is one of the few that has had bis dominator ecu do this. the guy with the twin turbo bbc black firebird. ryan michell is his name amd owner of kcmax. he is an efi tuner and has 1st hand experience on this matter.
or like i said holley.com forums and find it. im not looking it up for you but it is there.

Self tuning gets u in the ball park. Tuning w/ a handheld is kick ***, try it you`ll like it, u can find what ur engine likes easily. They told me my cam was too big, but I`m happy w/ it, seems to be overcoming any roughness, do need a little hotter plug tho. Pretty much down for the winter now .

By the way, mine is a fast 2.0 , no extra stuff to buy, or gathering up parts. Fantastic customer help over the phone. No problems that weren`t because of my own doing. Before I decided to go to efi, I put in a new fuel tank w/ outlets welded in the bottom back corners, and plugged the 3/8" new pick up inside and out. When I switched to efi , I used the original p/u for a return, and forgot about the inside plug where I cut the sock off, and couldn`t get fuel pressure till I was asked by Dave at fast (compcams) if I was sure my return line wasn`t plugged> then I remembered plugging it. Would buy from them again! They seem a little high to start with, but by the time u round all the extra stuff for the others up, to have full timing control, probably not that much higher, and no hassle of trying to come up w/ the right parts. O ther opinions may vary, this is mine. 440/505" wedge , 68 fastback.

-
Back