ehrenberg's high rev ecu module

-

72Dinger

Reaction score
Anybody have experience with the HiRev 7500 ecu module Rick Ehrenberg sells on ebay? Any input on performance / reliability over the store brand ecu? Looking at it for street application, bone stock to lightly modified 318.

Just my 2 cents-
A bone stock 318 with hydraulic lifters / springs will float around 5500-6,000k rpm.

Just out of curiosity- did you do something else to this engine to make it spin to 7,500rpm?
Joe

My parts store ignition box would break up after about 4500 so I installed the Hi-rev box from Ehrenberg this spring. It cured my problem and I can shift at 6000 again. Not saying there isn't something better but it will work for you.

Cley

I replaced the orange box with the Hi-rev module and it made a huge difference. No more stumbling north of 5k rpm. I can shift at 6k rpm and she doesn't skip a beat! I'll be buying another for the 440 I'm currently building. 65'

I bought one, no issues so far. Been on the car about 3 years....

Just out of curiosity- did you do something else to this engine to make it spin to 7,500rpm?

I don't have plans for it to spin that high. I'm only planning on mild modifications for street cruising. I'm trouble shooting a miss and a stumble and by process of elimination I'm down to the voodoo electronics. I've seen a lot of guys fix mystery misses with an ecu swap (here and on roadkill!) and just wanted some insight on this particular box for a street (non-race) application.

Thanks all for the input.

I don't have plans for it to spin that high. I've seen a lot of guys fix mystery misses with an ecu swap (here and on roadkill!) and just wanted some insight on this particular box for a street (non-race) application.
Thanks all for the input.

In the 66 I just built I used a 74 318 that I used a new electronic distributor and under my coil bracket I mounted a heat sink and a 4 pin Gm HEI module. It’s all hidden and looks like I’m running a points dist. A good eye can spot the two wires but not the module. Anyhow it will rev to 5500 easily super clean and no miss. Stock plugs opened up a bit more. I’m amazed how easy it was and you can get these modules from Summit with built in rev limiters for cheap money. Best thing is you can hide them in plain site! I’m not a GM guy but they definitely got this right.
Joe

I've never had issue with a good, well adjusted single point type distributor seeing 6000 plus RPM. I also have my doubts about Rick's "stuff" bein the end all be all.

Points are good up to 7K if they have a good spring pressure above 22 inch pounds. After that usually get point float unless it is a dual point.

4 pin Gm HEI module

I really like the idea of this due to the parts availability and getting away from the ballast resistor and suspect quality of the aftermarket ecu.

well adjusted single point type distributor

Have given serious thought to taking it "back" to breaker points - the car is factory electronic ignition.

Points are good up to 7K if they have a good spring pressure above 22 inch pounds. After that usually get point float unless it is a dual point.

Yeah but you caint tell anybody that. They slap don't believe it.

Mice to have a Distributor machine that goes 8K on the crank. Don't usually go that high except for the few custom ones. I get all the time why I use older parts I will not put new in at all, they all suck except Accell$$$$$$

I really like the idea of this due to the parts availability and getting away from the ballast resistor and suspect quality of the aftermarket ecu.

Have given serious thought to taking it "back" to breaker points - the car is factory electronic ignition.
Easy to do and leave the ecu in. use the right ballast and get rid of the power to the ECU. Only real visible thing will be the one wire from the distributor. Points usually last 10,000 miles.

Mice to have a Distributor machine that goes 8K on the crank. Don't usually go that high except for the few custom ones. I get all the time why I use older parts I will not put new in at all, they all suck except Accell$$$$$$

If I can make my machine work it goes to 10k. One of the reasons I bought it. That and I want to test complete ignition systems and supposedly this machine will do it.

-
Back