electric choke wiring

-

searcher1990

Reaction score
just finishing up my stuff a 340 in a 66 barracuda project and have all new wiring harnesses and need to feed a wire to the carb. carb is a holley demon 700 with electric choke. My question is where should I feed power from to choke without having to splice my new wiring harnesses. if I have to splice where should I get it from so I don't have to cut twice trying to figure it out.

I ran mine from my key on power to my wiper motor. The choke doesn't use much current and won't affect the wiper motor wiring.

Kept my original single feed alternator set up, after installing a new harness so had an extra hot right there to connect to choke.

There is only one "run" power source into the engine bay and that is the IGN1 "traditional" dark blue wire which feeds the ballast resistor, VR, and any other underhood loads, depending on year. It is NOT fused. It is also the most likely source of OVER charging because of UNDER voltage to the VR, AKA "voltage drop." You might consider cutting the wire, using the firewall end to trigger a relay, and feed the engine bay end off the contacts of the relay. Feed it power from a fuse/ breaker off the starter relay 'big stud.'
CHECK it for drop...........

Turn key to "run" with engine stopped. Measure --one probe at ballast, other probe on battery POS post. You are hoping for a very low reading, the less the better. Anything over .3V (3/10 of one volt) you want to investigate. That voltage reading is ADDED to the set point of the regulator.

Screenshot_20211117-222501_Gallery.jpg

I have mine hooked to the 12v. side of the ballast. No issues for a few years now.

I ran mine from my key on power to my wiper motor. The choke doesn't use much current and won't affect the wiper motor wiring.

And the wiper switch generally has a circuit breaker built in. This IMO is the smart way short of the newer switched thermostat mounted on intake. This only works in appearance for 70? Up. Not 69 down!

I dislike tying anything to my ignition circuits!!

I loose my choke to short and worst my wipers stop. Unhook and cycle the Ignition and back going!

Last edited:
I would agree the best way would be through a relay with fused power.

I too connected mine to the 12V side of the ballast resistor. I found a nice "Y" connector that plugged onto the resistor, and the other wire went to the electric choke with no splicing. Add a 2-amp inline fuse if you're concerned about smoking the circuit.

Thanks for all the input. going to think about all this for a few days and wire it up one of these ways thanksgiving weekend. Seriously, thanks fellas.

I have a 30 A relay for engine bay IGN in my 3 1960's Mopars. Indeed 7 relays in a 1990's Jeep Fuse/Relay box. Other relays are for starter, headlamps, horn, AC clutch, ..., replacing the separate factory relays on firewall.

-
Back