Electric exhaust cut outs

-

Sparky

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 68 Cuda,340s. I am in the process of updating my car after 21 years and putting in another motor and will be installing my TTI headers. I am interested in putting in electric exhaust cut outs. For those of you using them, what would you recommend I should look at. Are they worth it and do they work good? Power gain? This is a street car but I would love to flip a switch to get that sound and power they provide. Any suggestions or thoughts on the positive side would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sparky

I have the summit ones on my 700hp 470 built. My car never hooks on the street so I can’t vouch for power gains but they do sound bad ***!

youngun's up there sound really good. He has a lot of motor, too. Unless you have a lot of motor like that, they sound like a dang dump truck.

I always wanted to try them out, sounds like a lot of fun scaring pedestrians. Reminds me of the guys who install tugboat air horns in their vehicles. Youtube it, funny stuff right there.

I had them on a fresh build, 383, sounded great and had fun playing with them.
Then they began to leak in a few months and sounded like a bad "ratty" exhaust leak.
Temporarily (probably permanently) plugged them with sealant and freeze plugs to quiet them down.

I bought a set and was going to install them before the x pipe, which I wanted also but with the x pipe positioned up where it belongs, there was really no room unless I cut them in. They do make an x pipe that has cutout flanges also but I didn't purchase that kind.
I decided not to install them and ran 2.5 out the back with tips and glad I didn't. The x pipe was a big plus compared to straight duals tho. I am extremely happy with that and won't install exhaust without it ever again.
If I want open headers, I can just unbolt the flanges. Timing can need changed when cutouts are open also so to me, they are a waste, but to each, his own.
I highly recommend an x pipe tho.

I bought a set and was going to install them before the x pipe, which I wanted also but with the x pipe positioned up where it belongs, there was really no room unless I cut them in. They do make an x pipe that has cutout flanges also but I didn't purchase that kind.
I decided not to install them and ran 2.5 out the back with tips and glad I didn't. The x pipe was a big plus compared to straight duals tho. I am extremely happy with that and won't install exhaust without it ever again.
If I want open headers, I can just unbolt the flanges. Timing can need changed when cutouts are open also so to me, they are a waste, but to each, his own.
I highly recommend an x pipe tho.
Yes for sure with the x pipe, think I am off the cut outs now, do not want problems ewith leaks and timing. Thanks for your input.

I agree. H or X pipe. Whatever works for your car? I went with TTI. The quality is incredible.

20200703_150541.jpg

20200708_203541.jpg

20200703_140509.jpg

And besides, they are IMO extremely slow. You have to open them before you blast off, And I can't wait that long.
From a dead stop most muscle cars will do zero to sixty in 5ish seconds. If you simultaneously hit the switch and gas, they might be open at 60 and then guess what, every cop in the neighborhood will find you. cuz it takes about 45 minutes for them to close again. Well it seems like it anyway.

There was an outfit in Australia a few years ago that was working on some instant open/close valves, but it never got past prototyping. Which is too bad because at the time, I was hot to get me some.
With those mounted, you could run just enough pipe-size to cruise with, and then when you floor it, POW! the valves open, and the instant you lift, it be like .... "who did that?" That would be like having a spreadbore carb, except on the exhaust side. Me likey

Hey guys, I have a 68 Cuda,340s. I am in the process of updating my car after 21 years and putting in another motor and will be installing my TTI headers. I am interested in putting in electric exhaust cut outs. For those of you using them, what would you recommend I should look at. Are they worth it and do they work good? Power gain? This is a street car but I would love to flip a switch to get that sound and power they provide. Any suggestions or thoughts on the positive side would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sparky
I tried them for a bit but like the others I found them to be not very durable. I took them out and just unbolt dump flanges now if I want to run open.

Sparky, these mufflers in my avatar are on my 69 340 S. Not a loud as open headers but sound very nice when open. Very quiet when closed.

We can see the direction this topic is going. Most people are voting No. Save your Money.

Well I'll help change the direction you think that it is going. No experience with them but hope to some day.
Obviously quality is key here.

Well I'll help change the direction you think that it is going. No experience with them but hope to some day.
Obviously quality is key here.
On the street they serve no useful function, except
idling thru the A&W lot, which to me is somewhat gimmiky. My dual 3s with Dynomax 3-pass muffs, are much more pleasant to listen to.
But I guess you could make an argument for a non-streeter. However, my car hits 60 still in first-over and still spinning the tires, still thru the muffs; so, if it possibly could be faster with open headers, how could I ever tell? ; and if I could, how many thousands of a second might it measure? ; ask me if I care; I do not,lol. IMO Dual 3s on a 367 = open headers on the street.

I built a set of vacuum actuated ones for my Father-In-law's street rod. Did not leak too badly and still don't BUT they are behind a mild 327.

IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_1988.JPG

IMG_1989.JPG

fullsizeoutput_194.jpeg

I had 2014 Porsche Cayenne GTS with the 4.8L /420hp power plant a few years ago, it had dual exhaust with factory exhaust cut outs, they would react in seconds on WOT and close up fast, lol I opened them regularly and they never leaked or caused any issues over the 40,000 miles of ownership, wonder what they did different to have them not leak?

Last edited:
-
Back