Electric fuel pump blowing inline 30amp fuse

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
So i have a quickfuel 230gph continus duty pump, but recently took for a drive and the pump shut off, checked fuse and it blew. So i changed it, started pump and it blew again, and again 10 times after checking all connections. When i turn it on and gets to 6psi where i have it set, it pops, so any ideas?

If fuse pops immediately check for debris in impeller, cut wire or shorted motor winding

If pump runs for awhile then pops I suspect pump bearings or brushes going bad

Should mention I am runninf a dead head system, there is also a filter before the pump. Took car for run earlier last week and was fine. This pump is only a few months old. Less than 500 miles. Thinking the dead head system might have done it

Wow i just read the install instructions for it, you need to have a minimum line size of #10An with full return line. Says it only draws 5.5 amps at 7 psi. I know my SX fuel system was very fussy about line size, i had a 10 feed with an 8 return.

My dead system was recommened by the carb builder. I had a thread asking about it and was told to do what he said. I did that and now my pump electirc motor is toast, melted to ****. I just ordered a new pump and will be runninf it like they said to. Fees to front of fuel log and return line on back of log to tank. That should keep my pump alive!

Sucks about the pump, a return line system is nothing but a bonus, keeps fuel cooler and extends fuel consumption a bit i think. I know I have a aeromotive a2000 pump on my 72 and hooked up the return to their bypass port for a complete fuel circuit , little did I know that was wrong, had to run a y block and have the return connect to it and the bypass on the pump which then returned to the fuel cell. Fun things you learn.

Thats how mine is set up, pump has external bypass to pump but had to order separetly to run like that. With this pump they want me to run a circuit woth bypass regulator on end of fuel log. But i listened to carb guy instead of pump company and im out a nice stack

-
Back