electric fuel pump install question

-

63dartman

Reaction score
I got a summit fuel pump kit and have some questions about the install.
It says the fuel must be gravity fed to the pump(fuel cell?) Can you run it with the stock tank with out damaging the pump? In the install guide it says that pump could be damaged as it will not stay primed....I really don't want to use a fuel cell but if I have to, What is a good choice for a fuel cell? (20-25 gal). I'm sure once I get this ironed out I will have more questions about the install. Thanks.

Eh, there are lots of guys running pumps with stock tanks. I just put my holley blue pump in with a stock tank. Seems to work ok for me. Fuel Cell is ideal, but i think what i have is ok..

I dont think you'll fit a 20 or 25 gallon cell in the trunk of an A body. I have a 16 gallon and it takes up a lot of room. If I were to do it over I would use a stock gas tank with a sump welded in it.

So, from what I've heard here on the forum and locally is that the pump will work. It may shorten the life of the pump but a guy I talked to has been running his off the stock tank with no issues for two plus years.(I may want to have a spare handy) I think What I will do is mount it with the stock tank for now and when funds are available I will invest in a replacement tank and have the sump welded in on the new tank before install.
Now If I could just figure out where to mount the damn pump! Not alot of room in my early A. Wish me luck .......I will try to post some pics of the install when I start it. I just purchased a new 3/8 sender and hate to not use it, that's why I don't want to run the fuel cell. Thanks again.

I have a Carter Street/Strip 72gph 7.5psi mounted in the rear axle well above the right side fender tube. It's currently plumbed into the stock tank, but I'd like to get an after market tank eventually (I like Don's with the sump).

I also have 3/8 line front to back. It all seems to work fine.

There is no need for fuel cell, but location is very important when mounting the pump.

A 3/8 size fuel system is not nesc. in most cases, what kind of engine are you running?

Heres where we stuck mine. Small rubber lines to keep from vibration the entire line. Lots of insulation, i stuck some 3/8" rubber line with a slit down it everywhere the line came close to metal, really cut down on the noise. I dont really care about the noise, just something simple to do. passenger side of the car

100_1046.gif

The 2 biggest things are to keep the pump as low as possible and as close to the tank as possible and you shouldn't have a problem.

ok well here is a question for some of you guys.... i have been told that if you keep the manual fuel pump on there and just add the electrical fuel pump for that added bit of gas when really needed ( when you are at the track etc.) that this will work... is that true.... is it bad to run a manual fuel pump along with the electric or how can that be done

Toby

DdgeDartboi said:
ok well here is a question for some of you guys.... i have been told that if you keep the manual fuel pump on there and just add the electrical fuel pump for that added bit of gas when really needed ( when you are at the track etc.) that this will work... is that true.... is it bad to run a manual fuel pump along with the electric or how can that be done

Toby

Think of what would happen if the diaphram in the mechanical pump were to fail. (which has happened to me) the electric pump will fill the crankcase full of gas... :wack:

Ok I have a question along these lines. I just purchaced a 438 stroker small block from Shady Dell Speed Shop, with out listing the specs off the top of my head its basically a 600 + hp motor. Will I need a 1/2 inch line to supply the fuel to this motor ? Itll have an 850 demon on it btw. Id hate to go through the trouble of redoing the whole fuel system and then finding out the motor is starved for fuel at high rpm. But anyways if I went 1/2 inch is there anybody who makes 1/2 sending units for stock gas tanks or would I be better off investing in a fuel cell ? Since the pump is gravity fed logic would dictate that a fuel cell would be much better since its mounted higher in the trunk of the car right? This is a Dart we are dealing with so the trunk is quite large so I wouldnt have any issues with sticking the battery in there too would I ?

I have the Holley red pump on my sons Dart with the stock fuel tank and the stock 5/16 line and sending unit. The pump is mounted in front of the tank above it. Been there since 1997 and the car runs 11.50's @ 116 with no problems. We do plan to change it but the car does not starve for fuel as it pulls good all the way thru the traps. I used 3/8 line on my 63 and ran it in the stock location with a 3/8 sending unit in the stock tank. Again I have the red pump mounted above the tank with zero problems. Yes 1/2" line will feed your 438 stroker best and if you are running new line and ever plan for more hp I would go with the 1/2". But 3/8 should work fine for your setup. I hear guys say they run 10's with stock 5/16 line but thats pressing it to me. Ron

Well I finally got my pump, line, filter, regulator all plumbed up to my stock tank and new 3/8 sending unit. (my gas gauge works for the first time since I purchased this car) . I sure do love those an-6 fittings and the braided steel line. I must have tried 5 or 6 different ways to cut that line. Finally went with a very thin cutoff wheel and masking tape, duct tape and electrical do not work......I still don't have my engine in yet so the only test done so far is knowing that gas is flowing since I didn't cap off the regulator when I was testing the electrical connections. When I got around to the front of the car there was gas all over the fenderwell:) oopps.at least I know it's flowing. I also had to pull the sending unit out since it leaked on first install. I didn't notice there is a locating tab to center the unit, guess I had it up on the face of the tank, once it was located properly no more leaks. I wired the pump in through a relay mounted in my trunk next to my battery. Ignition source is fused and the pump is on a 40 amp circuit breaker. The relay was picked up at yearwood for 12$ It's a fan relay, The owner told me alot of guys use these for fuel pump installs. Now all I gotta do is drop in the engine and plumb the regulator to the carb. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Do you guys have any recommendations for fuel lines? Is there an aftermarket company who produces prebent 1/2 or 3/8ths lines ready to put in place? What about pick ups and sending units? I probably dont plan on running 10s with this motor so if I can get away with it id like to run a a stock gas tank, I plan on replacing the original one with a reproduction just for good measure. I have been told that the braided steel lines are quite expensive and just getting a roll of aluminium line and bending it or having it bent myself would be more economical.. what do you think?

dust said:
A 3/8 size fuel system is not nesc. in most cases, what kind of engine are you running?

I have a .030 over 360. I know, the fuel system is overkill, but the factory line needed to be replaced, and it was only a few dollars extra to step up to 3/8 line and guarantee I had plenty of fuel.

I recommend using a roll of aluminum line. It's easy to bend, the flaring kit and bending tools are cheap. Bought mine at Harbor Freight. I got the whole system installed in a day, just took out the old line, and installed the new in it's place.

I have always heard it's best to get the regulator as close to the carb as possible. So, I made a bracket and mounted it right in front of the air cleaner, directly above where the mechanical pump would have gone. The line is solid, one piece, except where it comes off the frame by the alternator. I installed a glass filter to be able to SEE the fuel, plus it doubles as a flex point for motor twist (I also have an inline canister filter before the elctric pump).

You can run both, but why? The electric pump will just push the fuel through valves in the mechanical pump but the mechanical pump now becomes a restriction to the electric pump.

superdart said:
I installed a glass filter to be able to SEE the fuel, plus it doubles as a flex point for motor twist (I also have an inline canister filter before the elctric pump).

NEVER run a glass filter. If you install one, make sure to install a fire extinguisher as well..if you need to see the filter, run one of these. plastic..
100_1032.gif

and if regulator mount ideas are needed. heres mine.

Doneeddie.gif

Are you running a dual feed carb on a 318? Or are those return lines?

Guess I could always switch to a plastic..or maybe mine IS plastic...I can't remember. I'll have to check.

superdart said:
Are you running a dual feed carb on a 318? Or are those return lines?

Guess I could always switch to a plastic..or maybe mine IS plastic...I can't remember. I'll have to check.

Yea its a dual fed eddie carb..

So, now that my engine is installed and running, why does my fuel pump sound like a small aircraft getting ready to depart the runway? I have a 3/16 rubber pad behind the fuel pump to absorb some of the vibration but it does not seem to be doing much good. Any ideas on how to quiet my pump down? I tried turning up the radio but, that only helps for a little while.

What pump are you running?

I run the infamously loud holley blue pump. Its not too bad, in my opinion. I have a few inches of rubber line on the in/out of the pump to help keep the entire line from vibrating. Also I took 3/8s rubber line (using 3/8ths hardline) and everywhere the hardline comes close/touches the car itself, i slit the rubber line length wise and stuck it over the line to keep the line from rattling against the body of the car.

Actually I'm going to buy some little sandwich isolator mounts from McMaster that have built in studs, like a mini motor mount, for the pump and see how that does. Doesn't really bug me, but that won't hurt.

-Mike

I am running the summit brand pump that came in their kit. Looks very similar to the holley pumps. Those isolators your talking about from Mcmaster, Is that Mcmaster Carr? Where could I find those?

One thing you guys may have missed here, i only discovered it by accident on a big block, a return line smaller that your feed line, reason being is that the pump at low engine speed is working against itself, thus creating heat, they all are or have a built in thermal protector, they will shut down, it happened to me, by adding a return line instead of deheading the line to the carb the pump will not work against iself and will also run quieter.....Rick

-
Back