electric fuel pump

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
I am going to put an electric fuel pump on my 65 Barracuda Furmula S. The car has a stock 273 with a 4 barrell. When I was looking at them I see there there are more than 1 options. 1 options is 2.5to 4.5 pounds and the other is 5 to 9 pounds pressure. Which one should I go with?
Thanks

Edlebrock makes one that puts out 6 psi. This would be a real good one for your car. Even if you decide to race it, the fuel pressure is always right.

Thanks for the advice. I have no plans to do more than a daily drive or local show.

Let it be known almost all cheap ($120 or less) electric fuel pumps sound like a freaking chain saw running. I had a Holley blue pump on my car at first and even though I had it mounted on a thick piece of rubber it still drove me crazy. I could hear it over the headers with dual cherry bombs. After that lesson I only run a georotor style pump or a mechanical pump. As for pressure anything between 3 and 6 is perfect. When you get much over 6 psi it can over power the needle and seats on a AFB causing flooding. Holley's seem to handle more but Carters and Eddy's don't care for it.

Let it be known almost all cheap ($120 or less) electric fuel pumps sound like a freaking chain saw running. I had a Holley blue pump on my car at first and even though I had it mounted on a thick piece of rubber it still drove me crazy. I could hear it over the headers with dual cherry bombs. After that lesson I only run a georotor style pump or a mechanical pump. As for pressure anything between 3 and 6 is perfect. When you get much over 6 psi it can over power the needle and seats on a AFB causing flooding. Holley's seem to handle more but Carters and Eddy's don't care for it.

I had a Blue pump on the Dart back in the day and it drove me nuts, I run a BG with a return line on the Cuda and it works great.

I personally wouldn't run an electric on a driver or stock engine, unless you're having vapor locking issues, a mechanical works just fine and is more than adequate.

As far as fuel pressure, you don't always need 5+ pounds, you just need to make sure you have the volume, you can get by with 3 pounds with some electric pumps.

I was working on a 96 Jeep Cherokee and found it has a single fuel line from electric pump mounted in the tank. It's pressure regularter in mounted on top the pump sender assembly and dumps excess back into the tank. The only drwa back is that tank is 12 inches deep. I dont mind loosing the spare tire well since the spare doesn't fit in it anyway but, even that isn't enough space. The trunk floor would need to be raised 3 more inches. So close and yet so far. :(

-
Back