Electric Fuel Pumps?

-

coalman

Reaction score
Does it really make any difference where the fuel pump relay is installed? Thanks

As long as the wire size supports the draw / load you can mount in a trailer behind the car.

Most people mount it under the dash or on the firewall.
the mounting as long as its secure and tight from vibrations again with proper load sized wire its were ever you want it.

Most people mount it under the dash or on the firewall.
the mounting as long as its secure and tight from vibrations again with proper load sized wire its were ever you want it.

Thanks for reply..

Does it matter, no. As mentioned, as long as wire sizing is appropriate.

I like to have the relay close to pump in case of any issues or testing for trouble. Fuse the supply side line going into 30 terminal on relay near the power source and go from there.

Fire wall is good spot because you want it convenient if it craps out. You'll also be able to jump easily it if it does quit.

Fire wall is good spot because you want it convenient if it craps out. You'll also be able to jump easily it if it does quit.

No gas lines or pumps on firewall according to nhra , ''bad idea ''. I have had elec. pumps 4 diff hotrods , never had a problem w/ any of them ---------all behind the gas tank.

My relay is on the passenger side inner fender, right out in the open.
The wiring for it follows the insulated fuel lines.

And put the fuse/ breaker physically close to the power source. You don't want to burn down the supply wire with the fuse at the "wrong end" LOL

Someone is going to have to reference the NHRA rule on relays on the firewall?

Does it matter, no. As mentioned, as long as wire sizing is appropriate.

I like to have the relay close to pump in case of any issues or testing for trouble. Fuse the supply side line going into 30 terminal on relay near the power source and go from there.

I like running it like this ^^^^^ too. This way, you don't have the high amperage wire running a long way. You simply have the 12V "trigger" for the relay which is very low amperage.

Anyway you feed the pump you have to run a large wire to it, whether its from the relay under hood or straight to relay in rear of car. Relay under hood keeps it clean and accessible. Unless you have battery in trunk long wire is still needed.

-
Back