Electric Oil pressure gauge

-
I have used them and am running an electric oil pressure and water temp in my Cuda now. I used to be an "all mechanical" guy, but have now changed my thinking on it and will be running electrical gauges in my current and future builds, the reasons are really pretty basic, first I have never liked the idea of a pressurized oil line running into the car despite having done it many times. I have only ever had one issue with a line breaking but once was enough. Second, the water temp gauges have like 4' of capillary tube line which is a pain to run, not hard just requires a large enough hole and then having to make it look decent (not a huge issue). Given that pretty much every new car since probably the 70's used electric gauges, I figure the modern gauge manufacturers have it down.

I believe the electric gauges are as accurate as mechanical in most cases and more accurate in other cases. Point-in-case, my 52 Dodge PU has mechanical gauges in it as well as a Fitech hand held controller which monitors engine temp. My mechanical gauge was showing 220 degrees and I freaked out, but then the Fitech controller was showing something like 180, so I got my heat gun out and the Fitech was correct. Granted, the mechanical gauges are not high quality, but still...

Sorry for the long explanation..

Only thing I dont like about that gauge is the degrees of sweep
Seems like it could have been more clear with a wider sweep on it

Have used electric gauges for years. As talked about above, I had the nylon line break on me just above the connection at the engine probably 35 years ago. Luckily I caught the problem prior to burning up the engine. Did not have such great experience with Auto meter but have used VDO cockpit series electric gauges since with good results.

I have AutoMeter Z-Series electric gauges (tach, oil pressure, water temperature and voltage) in my Dart GT. I figured the oil pressure gauge is better than the factory "idiot" light.

-
Back