Electric powersteering?

-

65PlumCrzy

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted or successed in install an electric powersteering into anA-Body? I purchased the manual steering setup from RMS and I really like it, opted for the manual due to issues of trying install a powersteering pump on the big block, lack of room.

From what I've read there is a interface controller available on eBay that allows you to use the power unit from s Saturn Veu . Sounds like a good solution and assist rate is adjustable. First look up the controller as it tells you what ,"motor" to get.

There's quite a few options. The Saturn units are popular, as are the MR2 units. From there it's a matter of feeding it proper power and a speed signal. That last part would be the tough one, since our cars wouldn't have them standard, but there are plenty of ways to install one. A signal generator could be used in place of a speed sensor, but you'd lose the variable assist that comes from the speed sensor input.

From what I've read there is a interface controller available on eBay that allows you to use the power unit from s Saturn Veu . Sounds like a good solution and assist rate is adjustable. First look up the controller as it tells you what ,"motor" to get.

Very cool...power steering for less then $150, and no pulleys or hoses? Count me in!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the powered steering column from the saturn would replace your manual steering box, right? If so, would you be able to still use a fast ratio steering arm such as the one below?

http://www.hotchkis.net/product/66-...an-idler-steering-arm-for-a-b-or-e-body-cars/

EDIT: I just realized that the steering box also determines steering ratio, hence you can buy fast ratio steering boxes, so I wonder what effect the Saturn box would have on your ratio.

I also wonder how the saturn steering box would adapt to an A body steering column?

I wonder how the saturn steering box would adapt to an A body steering column?

I would think this a major change. You'd have to cut the column down to a stub, and then it would no longer have support at the floor plate. That is a MAJOR part of the support for the column, considering the two tiny bolts that hold it on the top end.

I would think this a major change. You'd have to cut the column down to a stub, and then it would no longer have support at the floor plate. That is a MAJOR part of the support for the column, considering the two tiny bolts that hold it on the top end.

Ok so it seems like the way to go would be to use the entire saturn steering column and adapt the a body's collars, steering wheels etc to it.

What about on the other end? Think and a body pitman arm would fit the output shaft?

That's not how these work. The unit goes under the dash, and "is" the column. You still need a steering box. These are an electric version of what is sometimes called a (hydraulic) torque amplifier, that is "shaft in" and "shaft out"

The steering booster is the electric motor "mess" in the middle

47841d1376696458-100-power-steering-yes-you-can-use-column-electric-power-assist-system-epas-20130816_190706-copy.jpg

Here's one under a Mustang...

electric-power-steering-conversion-modified-column.jpg

electric-power-steering-conversion-assembly.jpg

Wouldn't it be easier to use an electric hydraulic pump (MR2 unit) and a borgeson PS box?

Very cool, so then its just a matter of mounting the unit, and adapting the saturn shaft to the mopar steering box?

I appreciate the input, I found the controller, don't care for the idea of it coming from Portugal, but will make life very simple. I have a power steering unit out of a Polaris Ranger, wish I could find a controller for that thing. lol. Thanks again for the information. This is gonna happen and there'll be pics of the progress. Right now, working on the AC set up.

Wouldn't it be easier to use an electric hydraulic pump (MR2 unit) and a borgeson PS box?

Assuming the units are actually practical and work well "in this application" it might be way cheaper that a Borgeson box and depending on your fab skills

How about posting a link for these controllers?

Thanks, Del. I originally wanted power steering on the rat truck but ended up not having the room on the Hemi. This "might" be an option.

Also, there's another option that might or might not be workable. It's an inline hydraulic amplifier. I guess some guys use 'em on off road stuff. It's simply a round cylindrical object, shaft in and shaft out, and hydraulic fittings from the pump. It also goes right in the column. Tractors, notably IH (Farmall) use 'em, also called a "Char lynn" or torque generator or torque amplifier

Here's one all taken off. The actual booster device is the object at far right

49.jpg

What this might do:

You would of course still need some sort of pump. But if you have header, etc problems, and don't want to spring for a Borgeson, you might get lucky and score a fast ration manual box.

Then you can stick this up under the dash. Yeh. It'd be a lot of work.

Has anyone attempted or successed in install an electric powersteering into an A-Body?
I purchased the manual steering setup from RMS and I really like it, opted for the manual
due to issues of trying install a powersteering pump on the big block, lack of room.
HemiDenny has an electro hydraulic rack out of a new Challenger in his shop courtesy
of a customer who wants to try it. It is all built into the rack and it is extremely compact.
No pictures/price/results yet but it looks very promising.

As far as "no room" for a pump with a big block? HemiMark's new Demon currently under
construction has a 426 Hemi with A/C and power steering under it's flat hood with a new
compact pump. easily fits. Ask Mark or Denny for details on the pump.

PA042015%20048_zpsopxkaotn.jpg

PA042015%20047_zpsuzrngaht.jpg

I haven't had the time to try it, but I'd love to play with a ford focus power steering pump. It looks like its just the right size to where you could place it away from the engine:

Cheap-Electric-Power-Steering-Pump-For-Ford.jpg

A John Deere Gator has a electric power steering available from the factory. There is also a kit available to add it to a Gator that was ordered without factory power steering. I dont know if they would be workable on an A Body but I have had them installed and they work well.

A John Deere Gator has a electric power steering available from the factory. There is also a kit available to add it to a Gator that was ordered without factory power steering. I dont know if they would be workable on an A Body but I have had them installed and they work well.

That appears to be a variation of the ION etc steering unit. That might be another alternative But new would be cost ridiculous, LOL.

I have a powersteering unit out of a Polaris Ranger, but tricking the unit with a speed signal is impractical. I work for Polaris and there's no way around it. I found the controller for the Saturn kit, and going this week to pick up a unit out of a junk yard. The controller is coming from Portugal and I haven't found one any where else. As for any hydraulic systems, that's out for me, the rack is a manual steer and not gonna change that, lol. Once I get it together I'll post pics. right now the AC has taken priority.

Attachments

• IMG_1669.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_1666.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_1665.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 517
I have a 2014 mazda 3 with electric steering. It works well. The rack and pinion is sleak, the power motor is under dash. The first 2 min of this video shows major components on bare chassis, with comentary.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the unit we used on the JD Gator was an after market unit that cost $1000.00 or so. not installed. It took maybe an hour to install and did not take up much room.

I think the unit we used on the JD Gator was an after market unit that cost $1000.00 or so. not installed. It took maybe an hour to install and did not take up much room.

I attempted to test fit a unit used on dirt race cars.....besides the room and mounting challenges, the price tag ($800-$1000) sent me back to the power rack and pinion (new $229) plus a p/s pump.

Interesting concept. Next time Im at the pick n pull, Im going to see what one of these units cost.. Might be a good project down the road.

-
Back