Electrical connections

-

Mojoe9955

Reaction score
I'm trying to source the female harnesses match these, I know the white on the left is for the turn signal switch coming from the column. These are available new online but finding the one one the right is proving elusive. In lieu of them a source for the female connectors would help to get me going temporarily. Some one cut them off to put in an after market harness. If anyone has tips on a source for decent heat shrink tape and shrinking tips would be help too. My propane torch is too much and a lighter is not enough. Thanks

20220623_120803.jpg

Buy a heat gun at the hardware store or Amazon. Works great for heat shrink sleeving. A hair dryer will work, but take a lot longer.

Some possibilities for those terminals that people have tried scroll through here Sources for Chrysler type wire terminals
its seems the ones made by Molex may be the closest. Mate-n-lock is another possiblility.

Heat shrink.
Look up Mcmaster-carr.com even if you dont buy from them, it provides a wide range of typical products.
In the engine compartment I tend to use oil and fuel resistant heat shrink. It's made by Ray-Chem even though McMaster doesn't say that in the catalog.
Occassionally I use other heat shrink and so forth depending on what I think is most needed characteristics in that location.
Some are more flexible than others and sometimes that's really important, sometimes not.

A butane lighter or match will work.
I've used the side of a small soldering iron.
Most often I use the open tip of a butane powered soldering iron. Mine was made by Power Probe but there's several decent ones available.
upload_2022-6-25_9-11-31.png

Last edited:
Hair dryer (on high) will work if you don't want to buy a heat gun.

What I have used for both soldering and heat shrink is the Bernz-O-Matic butane iron. You can remove the tip and turn it into a micro torch, which is adjustable. they don't work too bad for that. I've found them at either Lowes or HD for under 30 bucks.

So far as a heat gun, there are "budget" choices I have a yellow one made (branded) "Wagner" or some such They have one model showed up on Amazon for 25 bucks

I'll get a heat gun. Thanks
My main focus of the post was the electrical portion. I visited, the Chrysler and Molex site, but haven't really hand much luck. What I came came up with was from Molex would require cutting off the 8 pin male factory plug and splitting it up into two 4 pin Molex connectors which is a lot of work. I'm not a stickler on keeping if factory, but in this case I'd like to maintain that.

I'm sorry I'm not much help, but someone at one time posted a source for those terminals. My 67 uses them, but in my opinion they are an inferior connector, and I plan on "using something else" I believe the later cars at some point got away from them, not sure what year

I'm sorry I'm not much help, but someone at one time posted a source for those terminals. My 67 uses them, but in my opinion they are an inferior connector, and I plan on "using something else" I believe the later cars at some point got away from them, not sure what year
When I bought the car there was no dash panel or real factory wiring in the car. In the trunk though was another complete dash with the main wiring and dash panel. There were also 3 other dash panels in trunk as well. They all have something broken worn out or missing on. Today I'm working on trying to make one complete dash panel and while looking at them one had all the connections on the switches but we're cut from their main harness. Why someone would do that is beyond me, but right there was the solution I needed. The the round main connector has the female connectors and enough color coded wire to splice into what I have. Although not perfect it will work for now. :thankyou:

20220625_145943.jpg

View attachment 1715946929

View attachment 1715946931

Although pricey the repop harnesses from year one are really nice. Unless you're doing a lot of custom stuff (switches, lights, stereo stuff) I personally find nothing wrong with the factory harnesses. Jeff

Thanks Bill, I'm going to redo my steering column wires in our 67. I dont like the looks and going to tuck the splices under the oem bracket on the column.
Thanks!
When I re-did the wiring on my old Mopars, I was unable to find the original type of connectors for the turn signal switch and steering column harnesses, so I used Molex Mega Fit SR "free-hanging" 8-pin plug and receptacle connectors:

0766500187 Molex | Kits | DigiKey

20220625_223300.jpg

Amazon has a bunch of waterproof GM style connectors that I have used. You can buy them with or without wires already attached pretty cheap.

D4BCC9BB-CF41-40EA-895A-ABE9FB234569.png

I'd do weatherpacks on the round dash connector pigtails.

Do a flip flop. on the connector side, put a male and female 4 way. Then on the harness side you do the other side. You can't hook them up wrong.

I do that system on MSD boxes for quick change in case of failure. Used to have both males on one side, females the other. Got crossed up once when it was dark. Have the opposites on each side, never happened again.

I made some connections with yellow butt connectors. I took off the insulation and made a little crosscut in the center to relieve some pressure with my Dremel then a cut perpendicular to that and then massaged it around the little Phillips screwdriver to make it a snug fit with my crimping pliers. A crimp, some shrink tape and now I have a make shift harness. I used my cool new heat gun on the job, much better than a lighter.

20220627_105059.jpeg

20220627_104726.jpeg

20220627_105601.jpg

I love heat shrink! I have bought it in large sizes and have packed a bunch of different things in it.

-
Back