Electrical connectors at steering column 70 dart with ignition in column

-

Dartswinger70

Reaction score
I had my Dart out of the garage Saturday and when I went to pull it back in, I turned the key and nothing. Under hood wiring is new, so I started it at the relay with a remote jumper switch. I got it backed in to the garage and sat there for a minute thinking about it. I turned the key and nothing, I then instinctively reached under the dash and touched the wiring at the plastic connectors for the column and it fired up. The connecter felt warm also and I remember the key in buzzer wiring was shorted out when I bought the car years ago. My question is ,does anyone make the wiring for the column? What is the usual repair. Its a 70 Swinger with rally dash. Can I disassemble the connector and clean everything to eliminate resistance?

Had this exact problem several weeks ago with my Duster. I pulled the male side of the main red wire connection out of the plug and cleaned it, spread the "bullet" so it was bigger and squeezed the female side so it was smaller. Still had the problem, so I cut the bullet type ends off and spliced on blade style ends and used a single connection plug.

Wait for it...I could still get the connection to drop out. Turns out it was the blue ignition wire that was the final issue. No idea if both were the problem, but once I did the same steps to the blue wire connections, problem went away and I couldn't get the connection to drop out anymore.

I ordered some MetriPak 630 connectors and plugs and plan to replace the spliced connections very soon. I am collecting parts for a G3 swap and plan to swap to an F-Body ignition switch when I do so I will be replacing the whole plug at that time anyway.

Can I disassemble the connector and clean everything to eliminate resistance?

Resistance is futile....

resistance-is-futile 02.jpg

Give it a shot. Unplug it and clean the connections. You can put a little pinch on the female portion for a more snug fit before putting it back together. A little dielectric grease wouldn't hurt before reconnecting either.

To be clear, I didn't splice new ends on the blue wire, just flared the bullet and squeezed the female side. Could be that if I had done it to both I wouldn't have had to cut the red wire.

Just re-read my post and realized it could have been read as "I cut the ends off the blue wire" when what I meant by "did the same steps" was the steps prior to cutting the wire ends.

I tried that last night and it did NOT go over well!
I’ve had a lot of success with it over the years. Even on my radio control cars I raced as a kid. But if it’s not working for you by all means try something else. Don’t want to damage anything further if you don’t have to.

-
Back