Electrical Help LED Lights

-

jonn6464

1970 Duster
Reaction score
Hey FABO,

Here's my issue, as best as I can describe it, and in the order of events.

1- This morning I had incandescent/filament style H4 headlight bulbs and 1157 parking/turn signal bulbs. All were functioning properly. Parking lights came on at first pull stage of knob, headlights came on at second pull stage (parking lights off) and dash gauge lights came on. Front & back, right & left signal lights functioned.

2- I swapped out the H4 headlights for LED replacements. Incandescent parking lights came on at first pull stage of knob, LED headlights came on at second pull stage (parking lights off) and dash gauge lights came on. Front & back, right & left signal lights functioned.

3- I swapped out the 1157 parking/turn signal bulbs for LED replacements. I knew this would most likely require a change to LED compatible flasher, but thought I'd see if it worked. No parking lights, no LED headlights, no dash gauge lights, no turn signal lights.

4- Swapped out 2 pin flasher for 3 pin LED compatible (box says it'll also work with incandescent) and added ground wire to pin 31. Battery power to pin 49, turn signal wire to pin 49A. No parking lights at first pull stage of knob, no headlights at second pull stage, no dash gauge lights. But, front & back, left & right turn signals DO work.

The only thing that stands out in my mind is that when I was swapping out the flasher, the battery power wire and the turn signal wire touched briefly and there was a very small "bzzzzt" and slight spark. No burning smell at all.

Now I have no parking lights, no headlights, and no dash gauge lights.
What am I missing?

Thank you for any info.

There are members here who will ignore your post because you didn't state what model/vehicle it is.
There were models that didn't run the front park lamps along with headlights but for the vast majority.... Park lamps and interior illumination come on with first stage of headlight switch and remain on with headlights at second stage of headlight switch. I could guess that there was a preexisting problem before you started this LED change but honestly... I'm clueless. Good luck with it.

The 3 wire flasher has a printed circuit board inside it. Mine has a know that controles the speed of the flasher. It does not take much to fry the circuit board. I would swap it out and try again. I always keep spare flashers on hand as they sometimes blow for unexplained reasons

i installed LED rear bulbs. Looked great, worked just fine. Installed the front LED bulbs. Now LEDs all come on solid no blink. No problemo I say, just needs a handy dandy LED flasher. Installed that tonight. No affect. Bulbs still on solid. I caught a thread on another board during a search that mentioned that the DASH turn signal indicators if still incandescent can be affected by lower voltage and relay wont see it. Another input was an LED Flasher can handle either style bulb w/o issue.... Signals worked perfectly with OEM bulbs.

So after double checking installs and grounds, Im thinking about the dash lights. They said removing 1 bulb and then if they start working will confirm the solution.

Looks like a real pain getting to them though..

Thoughts?

Not sure what your'e working on but the cluster removal isn't too bad. I hope you disconnected the battery unlike the PO who blew something that could've been averted if they had disconnected the battery.

Not sure what your'e working on but the cluster removal isn't too bad. I hope you disconnected the battery unlike the PO who blew something that could've been averted if they had disconnected the battery.

Thanks for responding... Adding LED turn signals to my 64 Dart. Im working with SuperBrightLEDS who think my LED flasher may not be up to snuff. I have read that replacing the actual directional bulbs in the dash with LEDS as well, & it should correct my issue. I just dont want to go in blind. So does dash have to be pulled or can they be accessed from underneath?

I would not think cluster/ indicators would make a bit of difference. The reason LED's cause flashing problems is for the same reason that a flasher will be fast/ slow/ not when 1 bulb is out.........the flasher is designed to work against a certain load current provided by the bulbs. Indicators are a tiny part of that total

When stuff like this happens to me, I usually put everything back to the way it was and start over. You can tell if it is the new parts or you did some damage that wasn’t there to begin with.

-
Back