Electrical Problem?

-

eric22

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can help me with this???
In order for me to start up my 75 scamp I have to run a wire from the battery positive terminal to the coil and then start it from inside the car.
I changed the ignition switch but that did not help out.

white ceramic thingy on the firewall is called a ballast resistor. It limits the voltage to the coil. Probably burned open. You can test it with an ohm meter. A mopar coil wont live long on full 12 volts from the battery.

hi, having similar probs, what ideal voltage should i have on coil +? its running through a ballast ,when you rev it does go up to 12v,normally sits at 6v...have mopar orange box / no points and accel coil,car does cut out after 20 mins,guessing somthing getting hot! ps, what ohm should ballast read please? have spare,thankyou, nathan.

The orange box uses the P5206436 ballast. It is a 1 ohm resistor and costs less than 10 bucks.
If the ballast is bad, you should get 0.0 when you put a ohm meter accross the terminals. If it is on it's way out, it won't be long before it no longer starts.

Mallory part #700 is a variable resistor (.75 - 1.5 ohms) that is supposed to help with cold weather starts.....just another option. I've seen them for around $15.

I can't remember what the voltage is stepped down to but 6-7 volts sounds right.

-
Back