Electronic Dist Install

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Installed an electronic distributor on my slant and now I can get enough advance to set the timing. The bracket with the two slots is at maximum adjustment. Am I missing a blinding flash of the obvious?

Did you mean to say "cannot get enough advance"?
A slant distributor is very adjustable. Before buggering with the lower slotted bracket, try setting it in on a different drive gear tooth. Note that the rotor spins as you lower it down, so apply windage.

Did you mean to say "cannot get enough advance"?
A slant distributor is very adjustable. Before buggering with the lower slotted bracket, try setting it in on a different drive gear tooth. Note that the rotor spins as you lower it down, so apply windage.

The rotor is pointing in the correct position. The car starts. When hit with the timing light the mark is at the bottom of the timing tab about 12 degrees BTDC

There are two bolts for that hold-down bracket. You have the top bolt you use for adjusting the distributor on the motor and then a bolt on the bottom you can adjust when the distributor is out. Pull the distributor back out and adjust the bottom bolt.

There are two bolts for that hold-down bracket. You have the top bolt you use for adjusting the distributor on the motor and then a bolt on the bottom you can adjust when the distributor is out. Pull the distributor back out and adjust the bottom bolt.

So with the bolt on the block bottomed out loosening the bolt on the body will give me more adjustment? I actually need to retard the timing to at least 5 degrees BTDC

I thought from your first post you were "already at maximum" with the combination of the two slots. There's only one way to do this. IF you cannot move the dist. enough in the bracket slots, then you need to move the dist. one tooth. This is NOT a big deal. Figure out which way you need to go, and MOVE it. If the dist. won't sit back down into the oil pump drive after moving one tooth, simply bump the engine on the starter while gently pressing on the dist. After a partial turn, it should sit right down.

So with the bolt on the block bottomed out loosening the bolt on the body will give me more adjustment? I actually need to retard the timing to at least 5 degrees BTDC

The bracket should also be slotted on the bottom bolt too. There is a wrench out there that thay made just for the slant to adjust the bottom bolt with out removing the distributor but I have no idea where to find it.

When I did mine I just made sure the bottom bolt was in the middle point of the slot.

The bracket should also be slotted on the bottom bolt too. There is a wrench out there that thay made just for the slant to adjust the bottom bolt with out removing the distributor but I have no idea where to find it.

When I did mine I just made sure the bottom bolt was in the middle point of the slot.
I was actually about to bring up the distributor wrench. But I can access both my adjustment bolts with a 3/8 ratchet and socket, give or take an extension.

I do agree that if enough retard can't be acheived with both bolts, you need to rotate the distributor one tooth. It took me awhile to find which tooth the distributor was supposed to sit in when I dropped in my Electronic distributor due to 1. the slant distributo has ALOT of adjustment and 2. The motor would start and run even when the timing mark wasn't on the plate :D Although granted, not smooth.

-
Back