Electronic ignition

-

coronet69swede

Reaction score
Hi.
On my 67 dart someone updated ignition to mopar stuff before me. Tryed to find but i turn to you. In the foto i would like to know wich color is + and -.
Can i messure to know. It is the conector clossest to the dist. One is brown with tracer and one is grey with tracer. Thanks from springtime sweden.
Johan.
20180422_152025.jpg

If you are talking about the 2 wire distributor connector it just plugs inot the distributor. It is unlikely, but sometimes rare that the two are reversed, which changes what is called "rotor phasing." Google it

The shop manual in this case is a poor reference because this is added on.

Is your kit a 2 or 4 terminal resistor?

(The deal is, the older / factor ECU was 5 wire box with 4 terminal resistor. The newer and replacement ECU was 4 wire box with 2 wire resistor)

Do NOT go by wire colors necessarily here:

NOTE: The bottom wire YELLOW IS NOT CORRECT. IT does NOT go to the starter relay (which would cause feedback) It goes to the old brown coil bypass wire. IN FACT the factory resistor wiring IS NOT CHANGED from points. The brown bypass should go to the coil + side of the resistor.

moparecu.jpg

To make this "more murky"

YOU DO NOT NEED TO CHANGE the factory resistor wiring, IE to hook up/ replace the points with this:

Remove factory resistor, and plug the new one in its place

"Tap into" the blue switched ignition run wire (top of the resistor) and run the power wire to the ECU as shown

Remove old distributor, and hook black wire from ECU to coil neg, and tachometer at this point if used

Install new distributor and plug 2 wire connector from ECU to distributor

Make CERTAIN ECU is grounded

The point I'm attempting to make.........is that there are actually VERY FEW wiring changes made

IF THIS SYSTEM FAILS and you need to limp home

You can just unplug the ECU and drop in a points distributor and it will run, assuming coil/ resistor/ wiring is OK

-
Back