Electronic Voltage Regulator Upgrade

-

Rustyfish

Reaction score
Looking for ideas here. If you've done this, did you put the new on in the stock location on your ride, or did you relocate and to where.

Thanks

Looks like you have a 66 Barracuda. It is possible to buy an electronic replacement that looks like the original, mounts and connects the same too.

I've added 1 screw hole and a small spacer to put the OEM isolated field regulator in original firewall location of my 67s.

Thanks for the replies, anyone have any pics of the relocation?
Here is where I put mine...

20170626_220904.jpg

So I've already upgraded to the square back alternator. If I were to install the new electronic voltage regulator directly to the alternator when mounted on the fender as above, what should I do with the original voltage regulator wires at the firewall?
elec voltage reg upgde.jpg

That looks really nice and clean. Good job with the wrap. What did you do about the original holes in the firewall, anything?
Thanks. That is actually the project I am just finishing as I am having to add a few new circuits for my electric fans and water pump. Previously when I rewired the rest of the car I welded up all the holes on the firewall and also welded the space where the bulkhead connector came through.

20170626_220914.jpg

20170624_211343.jpg

So I've already upgraded to the square back alternator. If I were to install the new electronic voltage regulator directly to the alternator when mounted on the fender as above, what should I do with the original voltage regulator wires at the firewall?
The same 2 wires ( a blue and a green ) will route to the regulator and alternator regardless where those components are located. My preference is "high and dry" locations for electronics. Not that I plan to go splashing through large puddles, just retaining the ability to.

The same 2 wires ( a blue and a green ) will route to the regulator and alternator regardless where those components are located. My preference is "high and dry" locations for electronics. Not that I plan to go splashing through large puddles, just retaining the ability to.
So
1. What do I do with the old wire ends from the original vr location if I relocate near the alternator and
2. Should I remove the alternator jumper wire and discard it from when I upgraded to the square back unit.
Thanks

1) tape them off or put them into an insulated plug and leave them there, in case you go back to that location for some reason!

2) remove the grounded jumper and run the 2nd field wire to the blue side of the new VR. Make sure the alternator you are running has both fields isolated, and not the common "grounded spade" remanufacturers technique of making the jumper for you by grounding one spade to the case!

Is there a way to make sure the alternator is not "common spade?"

Thanks Cosgig, as always!

Looks like you have a 66 Barracuda. It is possible to buy an electronic replacement that looks like the original, mounts and connects the same too.
Yes in fact most of the replacements are electronic and look like the old point type. Just make darned sure you have a good ground to the regulator case. They control the circuit through the ground side of the circuit and will overcharge if not grounded properly.

Is there a way to make sure the alternator is not "common spade?"

Thanks Cosgig, as always!

Yep, look at both spades! If they are isolated, they will have a ceramic shield around the terminal, if the remanufacturer has grounded the 2nd field, it will look like a flat brass spade riveted to the housing!

Look at the pic here, the top spade is clearly grounded to the housing, the bottom is shielded with an insulator! This is how the reman houses do it, just rebuild them all the same, isolate on field and drop it in the 69 and earlier box, isolate both and throw it in the 70 and later box!

IMG_3786.JPG

In my 65 Dart 273, I used a square-back alt and mounted later Vreg nearby on side of inner fender. Wires are thus short and simple. Posted photos years ago.

Yep, look at both spades! If they are isolated, they will have a ceramic shield around the terminal, if the remanufacturer has grounded the 2nd field, it will look like a flat brass spade riveted to the housing!

Look at the pic here, the top spade is clearly grounded to the housing, the bottom is shielded with an insulator! This is how the reman houses do it, just rebuild them all the same, isolate on field and drop it in the 69 and earlier box, isolate both and throw it in the 70 and later box!

View attachment 1715063590
I believe I have the correct one.
IMG_0321.JPG

Where is the best place to get the electronic voltage regulators with the wiring for it included?

Where is the best place to get the electronic voltage regulators with the wiring for it included?
Rockauto for the Vreg. They match your factory connectors.
Always describe your car when asking such questions.
If your wiring is bad, you could crimp/solder new wire to your existing connectors. In early cars (1970-), those are fairly standard "Packard terminals" or "spade", even used in home appliances. Later cars used a triangle connector, and I recall seeing those at rock. You can buy a new "engine harness", but pricey (>$200).

-
Back