Empty 727

-

dstan

Reaction score
The 727 in my truck blew the front main seal a while back. I am about to overhaul the engine and fix the tranny but I've run into a small problem. I had the tow guys park my truck at the top of my hill. I need to get the truck down the hill to work on it. I was planning on just starting the truck so that i would have power brakes, putting it in neutral, and rolling it down the hill. However, i just remembered that while in neutral the tranny will be trying to pump fluid. How much damage will i be risking by having it empty and in neutral for about 5 minutes or so. Or will it not matter since I'm not trying to drive the car? Any advice is appreciated as I hope to begin this evening.

It will be running the pump with no fluid, If it's pumping a little fluid even if it has air in it you might be o.k. but if it runs dry and gets hot you got more problems like pump, housing, convertor could take them all out, your call.

Have a good look at the converter snout when you have it apart. They fracture from the corners of the oil pump drive slot and allow fluid to bypass the front seal.

If it is empty I wouldnt run it. Your brakes will still work without running.......just have to press harder, LOL

Could I remove the driveshaft, leave it in park and have it running? Or will that still engage part of the transmission? The hill is really steep with a 25 foot deep ditch at the end of my driveway so I'm not wanting to chance the it without power breaks.

NO.
Do not run the engine at all as it could very easily run the trans pump dry and burn it up.
The trans pump runs in direct relation to the engine, same RPM's and all.

If you have a portable vacuum pump, it could be hooked up to the brake booster. Then you wouldn't need to run the engine.

Could I remove the driveshaft, leave it in park and have it running? Or will that still engage part of the transmission? The hill is really steep with a 25 foot deep ditch at the end of my driveway so I'm not wanting to chance the it without power breaks.

Why not get a tow strap and hook it to another car with good breaks and "walk" it down the hill????

-
Back