Empty FuseBox Terminal

-

Xtreamist

Reaction score
Does anyone know what wire is supposed to go to the terminal circled in green with the arrow to the fuse box for a 67 Barracuda? It had a connector attached to it but no wire. The one right next to it is empty too. I cannot figure it out from the schematics.

FuseBox.jpg

Fuse Box.png

The shinny one in your picture is the Black just above the word Fuse, the Dk. Blue output.

Alan

The shinny one in your picture is the Black just above the word Fuse, the Dk. Blue output.

Alan
Nice, I'll have to trace that, the dk.blue goes to the tachometer. Only issue I see is there is a dk.blue on the upper terminal.

These are confusing to me, the schematic shows them across from each other and in the actual panel they look diagonal from each other.

Last edited:
Nice, I'll have to trace that, the dk.blue goes to the tachometer. Only issue I see is there is a dk.blue on the upper terminal.

These are confusing to me, the schematic shows them across from each other and in the actual panel they look diagonal from each other.

Okay let's try this.....
Across the top going right to left in order we have, red with trace, black with trace, dark blue, two pinks on the same terminal, and orange.
Across the bottom going right to left in order we have, black, black (jumper to black), red with trace going to the next two terminals (this goes to the fused splice factory wires), then tan.

Now, I have two open terminals I cannot figure out what the are for. All my wires seem to be in order....

Last edited:
That's not a factory wiring diagram. It may be correct, or it may not be.
Factory diagrams usually have the wire coded with a circuit identifier and wire gage as well as the color.
The 1967 Barracuda diagram is in the 67 Shop Manual supplement.
I think it was Alan who had this available as scan years ago. I think you can download it from the Hammtramck Historical (maybe under TSB) or maybe mymopar.

Let me see what I have that might help you through this part.
edit.
See if this helps.
Red with white trace is a feed from the main junction. It is always hot.
The second terminal on that feed is not used.
upload_2018-12-27_18-18-1.png

The black 14 gage wire is the "accessory" feed. It is hot whenever the ignition switch is in run or accessory. It looks like the second terminal to the middle should have a jumper connecting them.

Last edited:
upload_2018-12-27_18-30-18.png

The dark Blues are rear window defogger and tach. If your car doesn't have those, then no obvious need for the jumper.

Last edited:
That's not a factory wiring diagram. It may be correct, or it may not be.
Factory diagrams usually have the wire coded with a circuit identifier and wire gage as well as the color.
The 1967 Barracuda diagram is in the 67 Shop Manual supplement.
I think it was Alan who had this available as scan years ago. I think you can download it from the Hammtramck Historical (maybe under TSB) or maybe mymopar.

Let me see what I have that might help you through this part.
edit.
See if this helps.
Red with white trace is a feed from the main junction. It is always hot.
The second terminal on that feed is not used.
View attachment 1715267181

The black 14 gage wire is the "accessory" feed. It is hot whenever the ignition switch is in run or accessory. It looks like the second terminal to the middle should have a jumper connecting them.

Yea, that was from MyMopar. I have the supplement manual just didn't use it for the post.

Last edited:
View attachment 1715267183
The dark Blues are rear window defogger and tach. If your car doesn't have those, then no obvious need for the jumper.

Not sure if the car has rear defrost but it does have a tach. I do have a black jumper (pretty sure it's black), it goes from the second terminal from the top left to the third on the bottom. It's the wire that has a bit of white paint on it.

Last edited:
Got it. Then there should be a dark blue wire with a going to the tach from that exposed terminal.

Not sure if the car has rear defrost but it does have a tach. I do have a black jumper (pretty sure it's black), it goes from the second terminal from the top left to the third on the bottom. It's the wire that has a bit of white paint on it.
Something way wrong with that statement.
The top of the pic... that's the line in side of the fuse box. Each buss bar should need only 1 supply wire. The bottom of the pic is branch circuits out. The only current path from top to bottom or in to out should be through a fuse. So like the drawing above jumper from one buss bar to another labelled 14-BK is more correct. Line out to a tach or anything else would be at bottom, after the fuse.

The top of the pic... that's the line in side of the fuse box. Each buss bar should need only 1 supply wire. The bottom of the pic is branch circuits out. The only current path from top to bottom or in to out should be through a fuse. So like the drawing above jumper from one buss bar to another labelled 14-BK is more correct. Line out to a tach or anything else would be at bottom, after the fuse.
That's what had me fooled.
But looking at his photo again (actually the one I spin 180 to match the diagram), I think that's right.
It looks like they crimped on the bottom and used a terminal on the top of the jumper.
huh-gif.gif

I understand how and why fuses work, this is why I'm so confused. All I'm saying is there is a black wire going/jumped from one side of the panel to the other. Just doesn't make sense...

That's what had me fooled.
But looking at his photo again (actually the one I spin 180 to match the diagram), I think that's right.
It looks like they crimped on the bottom and used a terminal on the top of the jumper. View attachment 1715267315
That's exactly how it is. That can't be right can it? Here is the photo again w/o the arrow blocking it.

1226181529~2.jpg

It doesn't matter because that fuse doesn't share a bus connector.
So its like this.

upload_2018-12-27_22-15-31.png

This might be an important lesson about factory service manuals. I've often directed folks to MyMopar, telling them about the factory manual downloads, as well as the "aftermarket wiring diagrams, which are often incomplete, not quite correct, but sometimes easier to read"

The fact is the factory diagrams are bad enough!!! There are some mistakes and omissions over the years LOL They are however, "the best you can get!!"

It doesn't matter because that fuse doesn't share a bus connector.

If it didn't matter, this thread wouldn't exist. It is/was just as easily done correctly, per the factory diagrams. Not every owner can finger out WTH is what. How many times have we seen, "This car I just bought is a wiring nightmare! I'll have to buy a whole new harness to sort and correct it."
And by the way... Have another look at the very first pic at top of thread. At upper left corner there is a fuse clip with a wire for a branch circuit yet I do not see a supply or buss bar segment w/terminal below. That's not exactly what we're focused on in this thread but maybe we will eventually. Good luck to all

Last edited:
If it didn't matter, this thread wouldn't exist. It is/was just as easily done correctly, per the factory diagrams
What I meant is functionally it doesn't matter if that jumper feed is lined up on the tabbed side or not. Those sure look like original factory connections. The shop manual wiring diagram shows the relationship, but its not that surprising if at the production stage it was decided to do it as we see in the photo.
At upper left corner there is a fuse clip with a wire for a branch circuit yet I do not see a supply or buss bar segment w/terminal below.
It's there. It's hidden under the wire bundle. The instrument feed wire is underneath that bundle and looks to be just visible peaking out behind the yellow wire.

Last edited:
Yeah well the add on tach harness also came with a fuse clamp on the end of a wire to be placed where the standard fuse box didn't get one. The fuse box shown does have a fuse clip at branch circuit side in every port. My standard 67 fuse boxes are missing the one clip. No add on accessories. We can't know how the factory installed both of these accessories unless we find a factory example.

Here is factory schematics. 1st schematic shows DK blue wire and gray wire from tach. Look at 2nd schematic and dk blue wire(7th wire up bottom left) goes to fuse block.
Hope that helps.
So it sounds and looks like my tach is supposed to plug into the "shinny" terminal?

67BarracudawiringA.jpg

67BarracudawiringB.jpg

Here is factory schematics. 1st schematic shows DK blue wire and gray wire from tach. Look at 2nd schematic and dk blue wire(7th wire up bottom left) goes to fuse block.
Hope that helps.

View attachment 1715267645

View attachment 1715267646
That's NOT a factory diagram. I don't know where its taken from since mymopar never credits their sources, but probably Haynes, Motor or Mitchells.

Here's how to read one, as well as how to create a schematic.
Electrical Wiring (Session 247) from the Master Technician's Service Conference
or watch the accompanying filmstrip.
1968 Electrical Wiring from The Master Technician Service Conference Series (Session 247)

There's more if you want down in 1973
Master Technician Service Conference - Chrysler's Training for Mechanics

-
Back