end of kid's sledding

-

moparlover

Reaction score
it seems that successful lawsuits against cities for people injured when downhill sledding, and "concerned" insurance companies are causing sledding to be banned more and more across the country.

really? how in the hell are people winning lawsuits against cities when someone hurts themself on a sled?

oh well kids, i guess you should just sit in the house and play video games today

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...awsuits-some-cities-just-say-no-to-sleds.html

Another reason this country is going "down hill"!

Selfish greedy parents is the problem. They see an opportunity to make money by forcing their overweight kid to go outside and get on a trash can lid and be sent down some sketchy hill. He gets hurt....go figure and the end result is inevitable. Injured kid, overly dramatic parents who set him up, greedy attorney friends/ambulance chasers who convince them to sue and a bunch of pussy city leaders who cave into the demands rather than balking and making the parents responsible for their own stupidity.

Lawyers is what is wrong with this country.....too many, so they have to get creative to make a living. :wack:

Always thought a scar was a reminder not to something stupid a second time.

This totally sucks!

WTF is happening to this country. People can't take responsibility for themselves???

And the courts can't ENFORCE IT????

As parents you accept the risk when you take your kids to one of these hills and let your kids sled. Most sleds can't be steered, and the kids go wherever the ride takes them. You have to teach them to look out and then get back up if/when they do get hit.

I've ridden on the hills with my kids. I've been hit, and hit others on accident. It's part of sledding. If you see you're going to hit someone, you yell to warn them so they can hopefully get out of the way....

Just like the guy that robbed a house, fell through the sky light in the kitchen onto some kitchen knives and then sued and won for getting hurt. Why didn't the judge tell him it was his fault because he had criminal intent and deserved what he got and threw it out??? He had no business trying to break into someone else's house and that's the risk that he assumes by breaking in.... {hit the road jack....}

I live less than two miles from Swallow Cliff. It is a forest preserve built on a hill where they built some toboggan slides back in the 20's (I think it was to practice for an Olympic event back then - google Swallow Cliff forest preserve in Cook County, IL).

It was a HUGE toboggan slide built on the side of a hill. We walk there some times through the horse trails in the forest preserve next to our house.

If you had your own tobaggon, you could sled there for free. If you didn't have one, there was a log cabin at the bottom of the hill where you could rent one and had a fire place to warm up at.

It was run by the Cook County Forest Preserve. There were 6 lanes and there was a control tower at the top where they controlled the gates to let you down the hill. The slides were wood planks on the bottom which would get covered in snow and ice, with cement walls to keep you in the lane. Then at the bottom you would go under a bridge, where after you came to a stop could walk between the lanes and up stairs to get off the "field" so the next people can go.

I remember going on them when I was a kid and in high school. They were a blast. Best hill around.

Now since I moved back in 08, they have taken them down. There was a fundraiser group that had raised half the money needed to restore them, but they weren't allowed to do that because of the liability....

So they destroyed the slides, and then planted trees on the top half of the hill and then allowed sledding on the bottom half (still a great ride). My youngest son used to sled there.

As of last year, they are closed and won't let anyone go down there. They just use the stairway for exercise. The workout guru's say that it's better than a stairmaster and free... they like to carry pebbles up the stairs to keep track of how many times that they made the climb. There are 124 flagstone steps to get to the top of the hill - quite a workout.

Here are some pictures of when the slides were there:

Here's from the bottom showing the bridge and stairs and you can see the control tower at the top of the hill if you look...

View attachment 4c028dd3d5fc81dde933ee65719dc631.jpg

Here's what it looks like from the top just off the side of the steps:

View attachment 19120281.jpg

Here's looking up from the bottom:

View attachment 2420600273_ca75a4de49.jpg

Here's a side view of the starting gates at the top:

View attachment 2512834368_a2369e347d_m.jpg

Here's the control tower at the top:

View attachment 5b0d3fa0c5be5a29554b631310012c66.jpg

Here's a helicopter view of the top of the slides and control tower (not my helicopter):

View attachment 6066604_600x338.jpg

Here's another view from the bottom from behind the bridge:

View attachment Swallow Cliff Toboggan slides_2.jpg

Here's looking up from in front of the bridge:

View attachment Swallow Cliff Toboggan slides_3.jpg

Here's one in summer looking up the hill:

View attachment tobag1 (1).jpg

Here's a perspective of looking up the stairs to the top:

View attachment 5834775_V3DBxRVdX4sJbDPH0_X1BsCubMy29pXsew9r95kSj94.jpg

Here's what they did to it:

Tearing up the bottom:

View attachment 2493299800_fc332d94ef (1).jpg

From the top:

View attachment 2492454537_74461dce16.jpg

Very sad view looking up:

View attachment dt.common.streams.StreamServer.jpg

Probably one of the last shots down the slides:

View attachment Swallow Cliff Toboggan slides2.jpg

The pictures above are from the internet. Here are some of my kid sledding a few years back. Even as a sledding hill, it was still a great hill....

View attachment swallowcliffsledding.jpg

View attachment Keegan A2.jpg

View attachment Keegan B2.jpg

View attachment Keegan C2.jpg

View attachment Keegan E2.jpg

What a freakin shame....

Swallow Cliff has a long history of entertaining local residents, as a ski jump as well as for toboggans.
A 1927 article from the Palos Journal describes the site:
"One does not need to go to Banff, to Norway, to Switzerland, or to Lake Placid to
enjoy tobogganing and skiing; one can enjoy these sports right in the Forest Preserves
of Palos. Here are ample facilities, in the high ski slide, and the toboggans, which may
be rented, for enjoying these invigorating exercises in the open air."
In 1923, the first toboggan slide was erected at Swallow Cliff. The following year marked
the opening of the ski jump.
In 1929, the site was host to an international ski
jumping tournament that drew 45,000 spectators, according to the Palos Journal.
The original slide was replaced with three safer wooden slides, and in the 1930s the
Civilian Conservation Corps added the final three slides, a control tower and earthen
troughs, which slow tobogganers when they finish their run.

http://www.gromak.com/r/roseland_area/Palos Park/slides/Swallow Cliff Toboggan slides2.html

Some great history:

I love how they say that visitors were dwindling, but the last day that swallow cliff was open, they had 6000 people show up and wait to go down the two only safe lanes left to run. Sounds like people would come and enjoy it to me....
http://www.chicagolife.net/content/chicago/The_Demise_of_the_Toboggan_Run

Yelp review:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/swallow-cliff-woods-north-palos-hills

How much of a workout it is for you:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...-stairs-20111130_1_stairs-tobogganers-workout

Another stair review:

http://southtownstar.chicagotribune...-exactly-a-walk-in-the-park.html#.VKqjNyvF_mc

Here's a cut and paste from another site:

My brothers and I grew up in Orland Park and Lockport in the 70s and went to the toboggan slides every winter. We have the best memories of those days. I remember the free fall, you couldn't scream. My brother put his hand out one time to slow us down and skinned his knuckles through his gloves because of the concrete walls. We live in Colorado now and was surprised to see it was closed. What memories!!!!!

http://marathonpundit.blogspot.com/2013/05/photos-former-swallow-cliff-toboggan.html

it's probably because the sleds are made in china, so they cant sue the manufacturers.

so they go after city funds.

THIS is the reason so much industry left north america. for instance there are NO LADDERS produced in north america now. they are ALL made overseas. the reason was because of so many lawsuits by people who fell.

try suing a chinese company. they will laff at you.

it's no wonder industries go overseas. our judges here in the good old USA have lost their balls.

As bad as the parents are for the lawsuit it's the douchebag lawyers talking them into it and the asdhole judges that allow it in the courts and rule in favor of these idiots. Not gonna be able to leave the house soon.

And since our country is run by a bunch of politicians who are also lawyers(or were),
this will explain everything.

it's probably because the sleds are made in china, so they cant sue the manufacturers.

so they go after city funds.

THIS is the reason so much industry left north america. for instance there are NO LADDERS produced in north america now. they are ALL made overseas. the reason was because of so many lawsuits by people who fell.

try suing a chinese company. they will laff at you.

it's no wonder industries go overseas. our judges here in the good old USA have lost their balls.

I was rear ended real bad many years back (by over 90 mph on the highway). I had to see a chiropractor for a while to get twisted back into shape again. This guy specialized in football and sports injuries and had 3 patents. (not patients - LOL)

One was for the "cleats". His design replaced the old metal "spikes" from the 60's and 70's. He said that the spikes plant the feet too well and cause the leg and ankles to get twisted and injured because the feet are planted too solidly. It would be better to let their feet come out from under them to save twisting pressure on the ankles and knees.

His new design had seven cleats, some longwise some sideways and he said that only 4 engaged at a time, so that the feet can come up if they need to when they get a low hit. He sold that patent to a sports shoe manufacturer and it was produced.

He also had a patent for a helmet design to reduce neck injuries. It was basically using gel sacks to absorb the impact in the helmet instead of styro-foam type products of the day. Like those Dr. Shcholl's shoe inserts placed between the inner and outer shell to absorb some of the impact like a folding bumper on a car. He said that there were 7 companies making helmets when he got the patent and tried to sell it to them to produce. None of the companies could/would buy it as if they did, it would open them up to lawsuits implying that the older designs were too dangerous and they could get sued.

But the point is that his design could prevent injury, and they can't make it due to "legal issues".... WTF???

The laws that allow this to happen are hurting us, not helping us....

Why can't we say that it was the best that we could do at the time and we need to move forward without the companies getting sued for making progress???

What if this is the difference where someone could walk again, instead of get paralyzed??? We are sacrificing them now, for something that already happened in the past and we CAN'T CHANGE.... We can't undo the injuries that already happened, but why can't we go forward to try to prevent some of those injuries in the future???

High school, college, and young adults being able to walk again.... With their whole lives ahead of them....

A city I live close to, closed a hill off to sledding due to lawsuits, but now someone left a bunch of money to the city, so now they are going to build a winter park for sledding and snowboarding.

We used to sled every hill we could find, on real sleds and old car hoods. We came close to seriously getting hurt a few times, but honestly I would love to do it all again.

Everyone is looking for the "get rich quick" scheme. If the city would have interfered before the injury, they would have been mad. Nobody wants responsibility for their actions, and the courts back this trash up.

I've said it my entire life and if I could get away with it..........

Take half the shyster pieces of **** out into the street and put
a bullet in thier brains.

Ultra liberals, the UCLA and shysters are the harbingers of the downfall
of the United States of America.

Of course civil liberties must be protected at all costs but these
asshats have no concept of moderation or right & wrong.

Am I hardcore against these bastards? Yes I am.......you hearing me
NSA? Your time is coming.

Ever seen the movie on Netflix called Rampage: Capital Punishment?

I like it! I'm currently trying to find a
"Support Law Enforcement" bumper sticker.

It won't be pasted to my bumper either,
It'll live on the back window of my truck.

To any LEO's on this forum, thank you
for doing a thankless job. The majority
of us have your back.

Aren't scars like "natural tattoos"???

Yes they are and chicks dig scars !
as for the lawyers if you grab 1 skinny little bastard by the ankles and use him to beat the other to death there won't be any murder weapon , just saying eh ! it's like the perfect crime , " hey Joe looks like we got us a high speed pedestrian accident right harr yep indeedy "

This guy walks into a bar and shouts out real loud, "All lawyers are @ssholes!"

He looks around for anybody to disagree with him, and nothing... Finally someone from the back speaks up and says, "You better take that back!"

The first guy asks, "Are you a lawyer?"

The other guy replies, "No, I'm an @sshole..."

I wonder how much money exchanges hands on these rediculous verdicts

-
Back