Engine bay J bar

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering and Chassis' started by MoparMic, Aug 4, 2018.

1. MoparMic

MoparMic Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:32 PM
    I’m at the point where I have to decide whether I’m gonna put a J bar in from a Cowell down to the frame in the front of the car it does have fender well header or I wouldn’t even worry about it. What are you guys running or not running

1F0C139B-61E1-43C4-938A-E9414A323A6E.jpeg

2. famous bob

famous bob mopar misfit

Local Time:
    4:32 PM
    I`m running the J bars. I bought a couple of pieces of 1 5/8' tubing and bent them in a big electricians tubing bender, same as the side bars in my roll cage .

3. pishta

pishta I know I'm right....

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    2:32 PM
    The inner fenderwell is an integral support structure of the front end along with the front subframe. Yours seem to be still there, helping to support the front. I removed mine to replace them and the last supporting spot weld went out with a bang and the spotweld went of alignment about 2-3mm. The wall thickness of a j-bar may be a little much for an EMT bender unless you used a hydraulic one?

4. Jim Lusk

Jim Lusk Well-Known Member

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    2:32 PM
    When I removed the left side from my '67 convertible nothing moved when I removed it. The new (it was out of a '68 Dart) dropped right into place. With that said, I wouldn't remove one and keep it out without installing the J-bars.

5. famous bob

famous bob mopar misfit

Local Time:
    4:32 PM
    Was a hand cranker, no problem for elec. tubing, but took a helper for the thicker steel tubing. Had a gauge on it so that duplication could be made.. Where I screwed up on my j bars was I built them before I had a big block installed , or the bigger crossflow rad., I almost got them in the way of my motor plate brackets, not wanting them up to interfer w/ the wider radiator. ''Dumb now that I look back!" But it`s all good tho.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1