Engine Compartment

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to paint / freshen up my engine compartment. It will be rattle can job. My question is this.. Do I just "scuff" and spray..? Take down to metal..? If scuff and spray, do I really need to primer..? There are a few small spots / areas that have surface rust or metal showing...but minimal.
This will be a temporary fix as the whole car will get body work and painted by a professional...but I'd like it to look nice and last as I'm not sure how long "temporary" will be. Thanks in advance..!
0304221957.jpg
0304221957a.jpg
0304221957b.jpg

Here's what I did on my ol 66 Sat. De-grease, scuff. Then wash and tack cloth. Then I went to Napa and got the chick to color match my paint. 3 or 4 cans ( they make rattlers in house) mask it off, got my firewall foam kit, and boom, looked 500% better

Last edited:
Here's what I did on my om 66 Sat. De-grease, scuff. Then I went to Napa and got the chick to color match my paint. 3 or 4 cans ( they make rattlers in house) mask it off, got my firewall foam kit, and boom, looked 500% better

I had a local auto / paint store mix up the EV2 I need put in cans.. What's a firewall foam kit..?
I might be a bit dumb, but I'm almost thinking I'd leave the firewall alone.. It still has the factory assembly line "X's".. Kinda hate to see those go... guess it doesn't really matter...lol
What grit sandpaper you use..?

I had a local auto / paint store mix up the EV2 I need a put in cans.. What's a firewall foam kit..?
I might be a bit dumb, but I'm almost thinking I'd leave the firewall alone.. It still has the factory assembly line "X's".. Kinda hate to see those go... guess it doesn't really matter...lol
What grit sandpaper you use..?
It was 20 bucks then. The gaskets for the wipers, steering retainer, ect.. 220, then proceed lighter

In my opinion, take lots of pictures, remove everything you can, then scuff and paint. Also, in my opinion, you should spray some primer. I do a lot of painting, and I don't see this coming out well without primer. The extra few dollars spent on primer, and the extra few hours of sanding will be well rewarded.

In my opinion, take lots of pictures, remove everything you can, then scuff and paint. Also, in my opinion, you should spray some primer. I do a lot of painting, and I don't see this coming out well without primer. The extra few dollars spent on primer, and the extra few hours of sanding will be well rewarded.
I appreciate that info. With some areas surface rust and down to metal, I may as well prime it all..
If you can, lay out my steps, type of primer etc...
Sandpaper grit in the different stages. I've done zero painting and real prep work.

This is how I would recommend you doing it at your experience level. There are other ways; this is my suggestion.
1. Take lots of pictures, label things like wires with masking tape, and then take off as much as you possibly can. Label all fasteners, clips, etc. with tape so you will know where they go.
2. CLEAN everything thoroughly. Use whatever you like, but all grease, oil, grime and dirt must be gone.
3. Time for sanding. All of the rusty areas need to be prepped. You can use a wire brush to get the loose rust, and then 220 or 320 grit dry sandpaper. When I say 220 or 320 grit 'dry', I mean the kind of paper you might sand wood with. It is completely different than the wet/dry sandpaper you will use later. You can get all the sandpaper you will need at Lowes od a car parts place. Get as much rust off as possible.
4. The look over all the rest of the areas to be painted. If there are any rough areas, smooth them out with 320 dry. Then everything else can be wet sanded with 320 grit wet/dry paper followed by 400 wet/dry. To wet sand, put a few drops of dish washing soap in a spray bottle full of water. Then spray the area to be sanded, and keep it damp while sanding by spraying frequently with the bottle.
5. Thoroughly dry the areas off. Compressed air works great. You cannot spray primer or paint until ALL water everywhere is gone. The rusty areas you worked on in step 3 may get a light coating of surface rust after getting wet. hit them with some 320 dry paper to get rid of it.
6. MASK, MASK, MASK. Anything you do not want paint on needs to be masked off. Overspray goes a long way, so keep that in mind.
7. Wipe down all places to get paint/primer with some pre paint wax and grease remover. Any car parts store that sells rattle can paint should have this. Wipe the wax and grease remover off with a lint free (microfiber) towel. Do smaller areas at a time.
8. Wear a mask and spray in a well-ventilated area! Spray a light coat of primer on all bare metal areas first. Then spray 3 medium coats of primer on the rest. Practice a side-to-side pattern with the primer trying to avoid runs. This will be good practice for when you spray the paint. Heavy coats of primer or paint WILL run. DupliColor high build spray can primer (car parts store) works great. I see @RustyRatRod agrees with me. Follow the directions on the can, but allowing a little more time between coats will allow the solvents to evaporate. Give the primer a few days to thoroughly dry. You want all solvents to be gone.
9. Time to prep the primer for paint. Here you can use scuffing pads. Green ones are fairly coarse. Use maroon (about the same as 400 grit) or grey (about 600 grit) pads if you can. You can do wet sanding here, but then you will have to re-do all your masking. Every square inch of primer must be scuffed. This scuffing gives mechanical adhesion for the paint to stick.
10. Wipe down with wax and grease remover just like above.
11. Spray one light coat on everything. You are NOT going for full coverage here. This first coat is called a tack coat. It gives the next coat something to 'stick' to and greatly reduces running. Follow up with 2 to 3 wet coats (not so wet as to run, but the paint should look shiny). Follow recommended times between coats. I assume you are doing single stage that does not require clear.
12. You are done. Wait at least an hour for the paint to dry enough before CAREFULLY removing all masking. You will know when the paint is dry enough by touching paint on masking tape.

You might try a good wash first. Some Simple Green or other similar cleaner, follow with some detergent and water.

I've never had much luck just cleaning and painting under the hood. The thing I don't like is how bad a quicky paintjob looks just a few years later. I've found the best way is to go ahead and sandblast as needed and then epoxy prime and paint. I hate doing things twice.

I've never had much luck just cleaning and painting under the hood. The thing I don't like is how bad a quicky paintjob looks just a few years later. I've found the best way is to go ahead and sandblast as needed and then epoxy prime and paint. I hate doing things twice.
I won't disagree. I would also strip down to bare metal, prep any pitted areas with some sort of a good rust fix product, epoxy, filler, lots of sanding, high build primer, more sanding, then base/clear. However, my plan, as outlined in post # 8, is anything but a 'quickie' paint job. Notice that I said, "This is how I would recommend you doing it at your experience level.'" It sounds like you know what you are experienced, but the Op is not. If he did what I recommended, it would probably take him several days, and he should come out with a paint job that will look good and last several years. runs in primer can be sanded, but if he can spray the paint without runs, it should look great. The rattle can primer @RustyRatRod and I recommended is actually a very good product.
BTW, @nodemon, feel free to contact me by PM if you have any questions.

I won't disagree. I would also strip down to bare metal, prep any pitted areas with some sort of a good rust fix product, epoxy, filler, lots of sanding, high build primer, more sanding, then base/clear. However, my plan, as outlined in post # 8, is anything but a 'quickie' paint job. Notice that I said, "This is how I would recommend you doing it at your experience level.'" It sounds like you know what you are experienced, but the Op is not. If he did what I recommended, it would probably take him several days, and he should come out with a paint job that will look good and last several years. runs in primer can be sanded, but if he can spray the paint without runs, it should look great. The rattle can primer @RustyRatRod and I recommended is actually a very good product.
BTW, @nodemon, feel free to contact me by PM if you have any questions.
It's true I do have many years of experience but I didn't always. If your doing bodywork and paint or building a motor learning it the correct way, to do it the best you can is something that you should strive for. In this case R and Ring the motor twice sucks along with paint work that doesn't last. Take the time and do it correctly.

In my opinion I would clean it with simple green and a pressure washer. Remove everything and then scuff it with grey or red scotch bright. Use grease and wax to thoroughly clean the surface area and tack and epoxy prime and paint it. I would use a cheap harbor freight hvlp spray gun. It does not require a ton of technical knowledge to lay a nice slick coat of single stage paint.

1BEE1385-9DE8-4266-BD7A-2415D34D8A5F.jpeg

650D1E3C-1785-4915-B93D-2F8CE2A8D564.jpeg

B6C2AA56-A5EE-424B-B882-332FDB1A6840.jpeg

07537773-F58D-4733-8882-CC804618B6A9.jpeg

In my opinion I would clean it with simple green and a pressure washer. Remove everything and then scuff it with grey or red scotch bright. Use grease and wax to thoroughly clean the surface area and tack and epoxy prime and paint it. I would use a cheap harbor freight hvlp spray gun. It does not require a ton of technical knowledge to lay a nice slick coat of single stage paint.

View attachment 1715884822

View attachment 1715884823

View attachment 1715884824

View attachment 1715884825
Very nice. I agree that a cheap gun can put down a decent job. I have used Harbor Freight guns before, and they worked fine. I have been painting for 40 years. I have a Devilbis SRi Pro touchup gun and an Iwata LP400 for a main gun. I used cheaper guns for years and got good results. That green looks great. If you can do that with a HF gun, you may be ready for a better gun. I highly recommend the Devilbis FLG4. It is a great mid priced gun with lots of tips available. You could get a 1.8 and 2.2 tips for primer (it does a great job on primer), and a 1.3 for base, clear and single stage. It is a great all around gun.

View attachment 1715884822

View attachment 1715884823

View attachment 1715884824

View attachment 1715884825
That looks super nice. I hope you're right. I intend to do that with Vixen before too long. It'll have to be that simple for my stupid *** to get it to look good.

I own the FLG4 and that is what I used to paint the exterior of my 72. I also own the 3M Accuspray 2.0 which I love due to the easy clean up and light weight design. I am a self taught do it yourselfer and I really enjoy body and paint work. I bought the inflatable paint booth that fits inside my pole barn and figured it was a good investment as I wasn’t paying someone to do my paint and body work which is very expensive and to me can put a car outside of the realm of reality of restoring. My intention of my reply was to encourage the OP to step outside of his comfort zone and watch a few YT videos and he will surprised on how nice of results he can achieve.

A03AC4D5-1D07-4C37-9FA1-F95BB8EAC2A0.jpeg

When I did the engine compartment on my 69 B-Cuda, anything that I did not remove, I wrapped with aluminum foil. Aluminum foil is a lot easier to remove than masking tape. it works good.

Dave

I'm wanting to paint / freshen up my engine compartment. It will be rattle can job. My question is this.. Do I just "scuff" and spray..? Take down to metal..? If scuff and spray, do I really need to primer..? There are a few small spots / areas that have surface rust or metal showing...but minimal.
This will be a temporary fix as the whole car will get body work and painted by a professional...but I'd like it to look nice and last as I'm not sure how long "temporary" will be. Thanks in advance..!View attachment 1715881929 View attachment 1715881930 View attachment 1715881931

A dozen donuts says that "temporary" will be at least 10 years...
any takers?
:lol:

I bought the inflatable paint booth that fits inside my pole barn and figured it was a good investment as I wasn’t paying someone to do my paint and body work which is very expensive and to me can put a car outside of the realm of reality of restoring.

View attachment 1715884963

Which inflatable booth did you get? Are you happy with it? There are a lot of differnt china brands out there.

Mine is a Chinese made booth. It was like $800 pre-covid. It is 23x10x13 I believe. I don’t remember any brand of It. eBay purchase.

2CE9A1BA-9413-41F6-8CBD-A89CA25B4E14.jpeg

CE8DF6E8-D5FF-4006-B8F2-57B7AFB3007F.jpeg

B51E9371-0961-4A39-9C95-6B78362B0E50.jpeg

-
Back