Engine dress and hose clamps?

-

phaelax

Reaction score
Been doing a little searching around the internet and haven't found much in the way of alternatives to the standard hose clamps. Only thing I've really found was this kit:
http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9203170/237/

But I can't find a place that sells pieces of the kit individually. What else is out there? What are my options?

If you want to dress up a standard hose clamps, think heat shrink tube. Just cut a piece to fit, heat shrink it on leaving enough of the slots open to tighten the clamp. Place the screw part of the clamp toward the bottom of the hose so it's not so visible.

Of course that doesn't help with the hoses, but it does help the clamp blend in with the hose.

My options would be not to used that dumb lookin stuff on my car, but if you like it....

Like was said, use heat shrink tubing. One more step could be paint the clamp black so is doesn't stand out so much.

My options would be not to used that dumb lookin stuff on my car
You're one of those hardcore "everything must look original" guys ain't ya?

Not at all. There is an area between real stuff and fake stuff that's no man's land.

In other words, go with real aircraft fittings and braided hoses or be ready for failure. That stuff you linked to is total junk. I would much rather have something that looks plain and WORKS than something that looks good and leaves you on the side of the road.

Triple R as has a way of using the word dumb and or stupid to describe things which in turn is interpreted as calling you dumb or stupid, but that's just the way he talks. While I agree that those braided fitting kits are kind of cheesy looking. it's not because they're not good looking, it just because people have been using them to dress up turds for a long time. Brand new hoses with a little shiny dressing look nice to me. when it comes to aesthetics, I'll see if I can find something that looks better and get back to the thread.

I am not talkin outta my ***. We have one of those exact kits on the shelf. It's the cheapest crappola money can buy. That's the kinda stuff everybody laughs at at all the car shows.

I used the heat shrink too. I didn't want the hose clamps to stick out, so I made them go away :)

Attachments

• Demon AC Install June 2012 105.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 140
I am not talkin outta my ***. We have one of those exact kits on the shelf. It's the cheapest crappola money can buy. That's the kinda stuff everybody laughs at at all the car shows.

I never could understand people that used that junk. If you want stainless steel braided lines, get some REAL ones!

Over the weekend I came across a local car show. From rat rods to dusters (well, one), several Chevys, and an R8 and Mclaren. Lots of those Chevys appeared to use those types of kits. Looked good in some, others reminded me of a honda.

I guess I don't see how they would be considered junk. I mean inside it's still a rubber hose being clamped so wouldn't it be just as secure against leaking?

If I could, I'd like prefer to have some kind of AN fitting on the end of each hose.

I guess I don't see how they would be considered junk. I mean inside it's still a rubber hose being clamped so wouldn't it be just as secure against leaking?/QUOTE]

Try rolling up a regular radiator hose, like those ones in the link. Betcha you can't.

The rubber is much thinner on those and it's relying on the weave around the outside to hold it together.

If you only drive your car short distances, they "might" work.

If you like driving your car, I would look at another option.

-
Back