engine high on driver side

-

D.Coulter

67SuperFish
Reaction score
Question: My 67 barracuda has a rebuilt 73 front end to include the k-member (SPOOL TYPE). It appears to be high on the drive side by .5 inches. Is it possible that the motor mount for a 340-360 (NEW) will cause it to sit higher on that side or could it be the frame horn pushed up. I guess what I'm really asking, is it typical for that type of motor mount to lift the driver side if all other things are correct.

Last edited:
I would check that the motor mount through bolt is all the way down in the slots as far as it can go. Don't just come back and say "yeah it is", go look and verify.

I would check that the motor mount through bolt is all the way down in the slots as far as it can go. Don't just come back and say "yeah it is", go look and verify.
Ok, so it appears that the bolt is well seated in the K member. I feel like there is something going on with the frame. I had to replace the core support during this build. But, prior to this complete rebuild my old motor mounts (same set up ) the car was doing the thing.

340 mount is different than a 318 / 360. You either need to shim the low side or get the correct mount.

Only 1 mount is wider but you can make what you have work with washers and a longer bolt. Do you have the mount bolted only to the bottom ear on the block? Lifting that side up? Just throwing that out there.

20220915_162543.jpg

I cant seem to find the correct 340 mount anywhere, I don't think that make it.
They don't reproduce the 340 mount that I'm aware. You have a mismatch of parts. 67 A body, 73 K member. What motor mounts are you using?
We just worked with a friend that has 318 mounts on a 71 E body with a 340. It was low on the passenger side. We used body shims between the mount and the insulator to level it. It can't be seen once installed and tightened.

I
They don't reproduce the 340 mount that I'm aware. You have a mismatch of parts. 67 A body, 73 K member. What motor mounts are you using?
We just worked with a friend that has 318 mounts on a 71 E body with a 340. It was low on the passenger side. We used body shims between the mount and the insulator to level it. It can't be seen once installed and tightened.
Have a 73 spool style k-mem. With spool style mounts it's not the biscuit rubber style . I'm not sure how I could shim it up . That is definitely an idea...thanks for the insight

I understand if I had that type but it's the spool style the passenger side is about 3/8 to .5 of an inch low ....could it be that mount

Did you replace the mount inserts, or are they used and possibly worn out, causing the tilt? Fresh inserts could cure your issue, poly inserts even better.

Ok, so it appears that the bolt is well seated in the K member. I feel like there is something going on with the frame. I had to replace the core support during this build. But, prior to this complete rebuild my old motor mounts (same set up ) the car was doing the thing.
Are you SURE the mounts are on the correct sides and not swapped?

I understand if I had that type but it's the spool style the passenger side is about 3/8 to .5 of an inch low ....could it be that mount
I wonder if it sits to high on that side of the engine ..it's a 71 340 , are the mounting ears the same on 318, 340 and 360

Yes they are on the correct side, I'm not sure if I could screw that up...lol
Chit man. I've been at it since 1974 and I'm here to tell you I can still screw up a wet dream. lol With spool mounts, I don't know what else it could be. @Jim Lusk is DA MAN at this kinda stuff. I tagged him so hopefully he'll chime in here in a bit.

I leveled the car today, the best I could and ensured the garage floor was level-ish but close. by using a 6 ft. Level and measured from the k mem. Bolt to the top of the level that was on the floor and my findings are the driver side frame rail is 3/8 higher then the passenger side ...I'm not sure if there is tolerance built in to the car for that , being that it's an all steel car

Thanks yall for the insight with this dilemma. Rusty I'll send you an up date as I dig into this issue further.
Thanks again

No problem. If I had to GUESS, if your frame rail measurement is accurate, I'd say that's an issue. Someone with a good frame rack can probably straighten it up. @67Dart440GT is really good with this stuff. Maybe he can give you some pointers. Hay goat boy, you out there? lol

340 mount is different than a 318 / 360. You either need to shim the low side or get the correct mount.

Pair 1967-72 318 340 Motor Mounts for Mopar A-Body Plymouth Duster Dodge Dart SB. 360 Motor mounts are different but not 318

No problem. If I had to GUESS, if your frame rail measurement is accurate, I'd say that's an issue. Someone with a good frame rack can probably straighten it up. @67Dart440GT is really good with this stuff. Maybe he can give you some pointers. Hay goat boy, you out there? lol

I'm still here!
Still here!

billy.jpg

-
Back