engine identification

-

partsman1965

Reaction score
this number is on right front of block of 1970 340 FW340P32320228 with iron cross after it. Does this help with what car it came out of? Is there a decoder for these numbers?

this number is on right front of block of 1970 340 FW340P32320228 with iron cross after it. Does this help with what car it came out of? Is there a decoder for these numbers?

The last 8 digits for the VIN that the engine was in from the factory are on a pad on the right side of the block above the oil pan. Those 8 numbers should match up with the last 8 digits of the VIN of your car if it is the original engine. The right side that I'm referring to is the passenger side of the block.

the right hand side you refer to in the original post is the driver's side.

I have engine upside down on stand..OOPS.

Or you could have been standing in front of the car facing rearward.

That's why I had to clarify which right hand I was referring to. Too easy to confuse depending on which way you are standing...

Also on the left (driver's) side of the block are numbers cast into the side. They are the casting number, the engine size, core number, and date the block was cast.

F = 1970
W = Windsor Canada Engine Assembly plant
340 = 340 CID
P = premium fuel
3232 = Wednesday, June 3, 1970 (date engine assembled)
0228 = 228th engine assembled that day
Maltese cross is a factory symbol for undersized crankshaft. If there is a number after that is would represent what specific journal. If none assume all probably .001.

I would guess a 70 swinger but should be a vin, or partial vin, on right side of block along oil pan rail.

I have motor out of car on stand with heads off. re-assembling. car is 1974 dart sport. I will need to get the vin off the right side of block so I can see what it came out of.. date is 5/6/70 so assembled in june makes sense.original crank is long gone. The crank in it looks to be 318 new replacement when rebuilt in the mid or early 80's. Thanks everyone for info!

unless a full vin is on the side of the block is acquired then at best can only give a probable on what car engine came from.

unless a full vin is on the side of the block is acquired then at best can only give a probable on what car engine came from.

Yes, the VIN above the passenger oil pan will tell you model year and what plant the vehicle was assembled at. It can't tell you any details on model and body style, or engine size....

But you should know the engine size if you have the block... LOL!

What cars in 70 came with a 340 though - Duster, Swinger, b-cuda, Challenger?
So depending on what factory he may get lucky, but since it is not original to the car it is kind of an irrelevant quest. But if it is 0RXXXXXX it was from a swinger. lol

B = Hamtramck - b-cuda, Duster 340, Challenger
R = Windsor - Swinger 340 (only)
E = L.A. - b-cuda, Challenger

It really does not matter what it is from I'm just happy to have a good 70 340 that came in the 74 dart sport I bought instead of the original 318. I'm just trying to document as much as possible about the car. It will get passed down to my grandson some day and want to teach him as much as possible about old Mopars.

So depending on what factory he may get lucky, but since it is not original to the car it is kind of an irrelevant quest. But if it is 0RXXXXXX it was from a swinger. lol

Duster 340's were built in Windsor as well. Not many.

So because this motor has a W what kind of car did it come from as you only list B, R, & E? Or am I confused?

yes and understandably your confused as cars and engines were given different letters for assembly plants.
There is ENGINE assembly information the FW340P. The W on the engine assembly info is Windsor Ca.
Then on the oil pan rail there is CAR assembly information. If there is an 0RXXXXXX on the pan rail the 0=1970 and the R= Windsor built CAR the last 6 is the last 6 of the CARS vin.

-
Back