Engine Mount Differences?

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
1964 Valiant 2 door seedan originally a 170 three on the tree, now a 68 225 and late A230 but still thee on the tree.

Seems I remember reading somewhere these cars have different engine mounts from the 170 to the 225. Is that right, or am I imagining things? I got the engine in the car and it's sitting on the 170 mounts. It's level.....for a slant six. lol Does the 225 require a different mount? If it does, what's the difference? Thank you drive through.

Seems to me I remember the FSM listed different mounts for some 170 applications. I have no idea what the difference is. I have never seen "aftermarket" listing for the different mounts. My cars are all 1964-1966 "A" bodies, and I run 170's, and 225's. All use the same "K" member, engine bracket (metal part), and insulator (rubber part)

I believe they are the same, we have reused 225 mounts on a 170, I think the only differences are, that the 170 has a little shorter alt v belt, difference in muffler head pipe. Also slant six 1963-1966 oil pans and pick up for that body style, and 1967-1972 different oil pan and pick up tube. Ask me how I know

'62-'66 A-body Slant-6 engine mounts are all the same size, shape, and configuration (lefts are different to rights). There's a different set of mounts called out for 4-speed cars (any body style) and convertibles (any transmission), but they're still the same size, shape, and configuration. Probably just a different rubber stiffness, which doesn't matter any more now if you buy the good ones.

Thanks yall! I don't know why I was thinkin they were different. Muchas grassy ***.

My 1964 225 seemed too tight against the inner fender based on photos of others. Only thing I could figure is that the R motor bracket was bent. I think they normally have a slight bend, but mine had overbent. Anyway, I bent it straighter on my 12-ton shop press, which gave more clearance for the carburetor. I recall verifying that the top of the valve cover is now horizontal left-right, i.e. "sitting straight for a slant".

-
Back