Engine Oil 360 LA?

-

coalman

Reaction score
Anyone run conventional oil, if so what weight oil do you like, 10w-30, 10w-40 or straight 30 weight? Car is just street driven. Thanks

Anyone run conventional oil, if so what weight oil do you like, 10w-30, 10w-40 or straight 30 weight? Car is just street driven. Thanks

Run a cleaning oil instead of one that actually causes a waxy sludge.
Castrol GTX 20-50 is what I would run in Texas.
Actually about any common 20-50 (except Pennsludge):D

Wow 20w50, I will have to look that up! Thanks

Back in the 80's I worked at a 10 minute oil express... We used to put 10w-30 or 10w-40 in during winter and 20w40 or 20w50 in summer and some people ran straight 30 in the summer also...

I tried 5w30 in a 318 once and it seemed too thin....

Back in the 80's I worked at a 10 minute oil express... We used to put 10w-30 or 10w-40 in during winter and 20w40 or 20w50 in summer and some people ran straight 30 in the summer also...

I tried 5w30 in a 318 once and it seemed too thin....

I think 10w30 is a little thin down here in Texas also. Thanks

Last edited:
Wow 20w50, I will have to look that up! Thanks

Let me explain a bit in more detail.
I live in AZ and used to use Castrol 20-50 in everything including my 80's Honda XR.
My Magnum motor is machined for a thinner synthetic so I run Castrol Syntec 5-30.

This is how I decide on an oil for any motor.
First obviously decide on a good brand. (Castrol and Valvoline are two of the best conventional oils I have ever used that are comparably inexpensive and readily available anywhere)

I note my maximum cold start oil pressure and the weight I decide on is the one that is just under that cold pressure when out on the road running at hiway speeds.
This means the oil pump is supplying every bit of volume it can without bypassing any.
Oil volume is just as important or more so than pressure, because flow volume cools the parts it runs over, and the more that flows over the parts the better it will cool those parts.
This is why we don't just throw 90wt in everything to get maximum oil pressure.

I might have said 10-30 in the winter and 20-50 in the summer, but opted for a good year round weight for use in conditions very like where I am. (cept for the humidity):D

Using the same method with my Magnum motor I have 60lbs cold maximum.
Out on the hiway at full temperature the oil pressure is 55 lbs.
(this tells me I am flowing as much oil over the bearings as the pump can pump, and as hi a viscosity as it can take without bypassing any.)

You want something with the zddp. I use Lucas 10w40 hot rod oil. Valvoline Racing is also good

I've been using Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil 10W-30 with High Zinc. Best I've found for my '70 340 flat tappet cam.

You want something with the zddp. I use Lucas 10w40 hot rod oil. Valvoline Racing is also good

I've been using Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil 10W-30 with High Zinc. Best I've found for my '70 340 flat tappet cam.

I have never in decades run a high zddp oil in a stockish engine and lost a cam.
Higher spring pressures, sure.

Street driven. My 66 273 has pretty tight clearances and my 70 Swinger 318 only has 40,000 miles so 10/30 Valvoline Conventional it is. I always add some Rislone zinc additive to every iol change.

Let me explain a bit in more detail.
I live in AZ and used to use Castrol 20-50 in everything including my 80's Honda XR.
My Magnum motor is machined for a thinner synthetic so I run Castrol Syntec 5-30.

This is how I decide on an oil for any motor.
First obviously decide on a good brand. (Castrol and Valvoline are two of the best conventional oils I have ever used that are comparably inexpensive and readily available anywhere)

I note my maximum cold start oil pressure and the weight I decide on is the one that is just under that cold pressure when out on the road running at hiway speeds.
This means the oil pump is supplying every bit of volume it can without bypassing any.
Oil volume is just as important or more so than pressure, because flow volume cools the parts it runs over, and the more that flows over the parts the better it will cool those parts.
This is why we don't just throw 90wt in everything to get maximum oil pressure.

I might have said 10-30 in the winter and 20-50 in the summer, but opted for a good year round weight for use in conditions very like where I am. (cept for the humidity):D

Using the same method with my Magnum motor I have 60lbs cold maximum.
Out on the hiway at full temperature the oil pressure is 55 lbs.
(this tells me I am flowing as much oil over the bearings as the pump can pump, and as hi a viscosity as it can take without bypassing any.)

Thanks for all your info, what do you show at idle, fully warmed up? Thanks

I use the cheep Oriley brand 20-50 and add the ZDDP. i change my oil often so im not gonna buy expensive oil to toss out.

I use the cheep Oriley brand 20-50 and add the ZDDP. i change my oil often so im not gonna buy expensive oil to toss out.
It's probably refined by Ashland. LOL

Don't know who or what ashland is but i do know my twin carbs run a bit ritch at idle and part throttle so its just one of the compromises i decided to live with.

Don't know who or what ashland is but i do know my twin carbs run a bit ritch at idle and part throttle so its just one of the compromises i decided to live with.
A big refinery that makes Valvoline and NAPA oils. They refine for a lot of private labels.

One of the things that opened my eyes to who refines oil was my honda snowblower.

I took the hydraulic drive apart and need to refill it. The honda oil was like 16 bucks a quart. My buddy who runs a snow removal business said, "do you think Honda makes oil?, no they just have their labe put on the bottle." He runs standard hydro oil in all his machines.

Honda says not to run anything except their oil. I filled her up with some hydro out of a 55 gallon drum that my buddy had and she ran for another 5 years before i sold that machine......

Here's a long list.

Advanced Lubrication Specialties, Inc

* Advantage
* Advantage 5000
* Getty (some?)
* Lukoil (some?)
* CRL
* L&D Superior
* Sunoco

Amalie

* Acme Ultraguard
* Amalie
* American Eagle Super Duty
* American XT Premium
* Crown Super Turbo
* Elixir
* Federated
* Flash Foods
* Foodtown
* Guard Heavy Duty
* �Heavy Duty�
* Imperial
* Millennium
* Pro High Performance Choice
* Pronto Supreme
* Rallye
* RPX Turbo Blend
* Shop Rite Premium
* Sprint 500 Premium
* Super Turbo Xcel
* U.S. Lubricants Super Heavy Duty
* Value Tech
* VIP
* Xcel
* XLO

Ashland

* Kubota Tractor Oils
* Napa
* Valvoline

BP/Castrol

* Arco
* Powertech Super
* Drydene
* Assuron

Chevron/Texaco

(all products seem to carry the Chevron or Texaco logos...so there is no confusion here as to what they make)

CHS Inc
o Auto Gold
o Maxtron
o Super 12m
o Superlube
o Superol
o Viking

Citgo
o Mystic

Conoco-Phillips

• o CircleK
    o Kendall