Engine Paint for late model Slant 6?

-

SpriceyStuff

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a late model slant six I want to eventually build for performance. When I get around to taking it out and working on it I want to use that opportunity to paint it up nice. Since it’s a late model (‘77), I want to use a proper blue engine enamel, and preferably a brush on as I believe they’re more resilient. Any suggestions on what paint to go with?

Not for a 77. That didn't start to the latest of the/6s.
I've noticed that the dupli color Mopar blue of late is way off. I hate to say it but Chevy blue is actually closer to right than what dupli color is passing off as Mopar blue these past couple of years.
I did a /6 and a set of 318 heads earlier this year with it and have been to a couple of swap meets already this year and seen other people's engine parts that were recently painted with it, so not all "my" doing.
Might try some of that bill Hirsch engine paint I haven't yet but have also never heard anything but good comments from those that have. Durable and dead nuts on color.

Not for a 77. That didn't start to the latest of the/6s.
I've noticed that the dupli color Mopar blue of late is way off. I hate to say it but Chevy blue is actually closer to right than what dupli color is passing off as Mopar blue these past couple of years.
I did a /6 and a set of 318 heads earlier this year with it and have been to a couple of swap meets already this year and seen other people's engine parts that were recently painted with it, so not all "my" doing.
Might try some of that bill Hirsch engine paint I haven't yet but have also never heard anything but good comments from those that have. Durable and dead nuts on color.
Yeah my engine is definitely Chrysler blue, but like you said and I’ve noticed it too, the things they call Chrysler blue you can tell in the photos are definitely NOT Chrysler blue. It’s a rip off. I was hoping someone here might know of a good one, I’ll keep looking around but I can’t figure out why it’s so hard to make a blue paint that matches another blue paint. I might just take my valve cover to Home Depot and find a swatch that matches it and take it to a paint shop to see if they can mix me an engine enamel to match it cause duplicolor can’t figure it out for some reason

FC9BF569-0F75-4A68-920C-E3495058B066.jpeg

the first last and only time I used POR 15s engine paint I was very dissatisfied. Very poor coverage, almost transparent, I could see thru it as easy as that blue plastic "paper" that you would use to wrap an Easter basket..... and I've used many POR 15 products over the years and usually am the 1st to recommend them.... but not in this case. Id be inclined to try the KBS version "once" for comparison. Ive had equal results with their "equivalent" other products to POR 15 but this is one case I would hope that KBS would be better

and before the Duplicolor mismatch issue, the last couple years of Duplicolor before that was "peel city" within a month of painting and dropping the engine in especially low on the block and on the oil pans. Another product that "ain't what it used to be"..... Id be looking at VHT these days if I had to have a rattle can.

the first last and only time I used POR 15s engine paint I was very dissatisfied. Very poor coverage, almost transparent, I could see thru it as easy as that blue plastic "paper" that you would use to wrap an Easter basket..... and I've used many POR 15 products over the years and usually am the 1st to recommend them.... but not in this case. Id be inclined to try the KBS version "once" for comparison. Ive had equal results with their "equivalent" other products to POR 15 but this is one case I would hope that KBS would be better

and before the Duplicolor mismatch issue, the last couple years of Duplicolor before that was "peel city" within a month of painting and dropping the engine in especially low on the block and on the oil pans. Another product that "ain't what it used to be"..... Id be looking at VHT these days if I had to have a rattle can.
Personally I would prefer brush on since it gets in the pores better and I think that helps it stick better

then try the KBS or the Bill Hirsch. but no, the spray gets into places a brush is too wide for, and a more even coat. no matter how hard you try, when you brush it some areas get way more paint than others do, and there are places you just cant get into with a brush. there are too many "uneven surfaces" on something like an engine. But do what you have to with what you have available.
though all of them, POR 15, Bill Hirsch and KBS all claim that brush marks fade away, their pains are all "self leveling".
I did use teh KBS manifold paint on my most recent /6 rebuild after I completely sandblasted the manifold before paint. It came out really nice, I have not run it yet to speak for its durability-- yet.

then try the KBS or the Bill Hirsch. but no, the spray gets into places a brush is too wide for, and a more even coat. no matter how hard you try, when you brush it some areas get way more paint than others do, and there are places you just cant get into with a brush. there are too many "uneven surfaces" on something like an engine. But do what you have to with what you have available.
though all of them, POR 15, Bill Hirsch and KBS all claim that brush marks fade away, their pains are all "self leveling".
I did use teh KBS manifold paint on my most recent /6 rebuild after I completely sandblasted the manifold before paint. It came out really nice, I have not run it yet to speak for its durability-- yet.
Let me know how that manifold paint works out durability wise. And thanks for the brand recommendation! I think what I want to do is do the block in blue and the head and oil pan in black. If that manifold paint works good then I’ll also use it on the headers. I’m planning on using a set of dutra duals on it

If you get over to Vancouver, there is a paint store called Bob's Paint Land that will custom make rattle cans of paint to match whatever you want. Bring in the sample you want to match and they will mix it up on the spot. It's not cheap, but they really know their stuff and the quality is good.

If you get over to Vancouver, there is a paint store called Bob's Paint Land that will custom make rattle cans of paint to match whatever you want. Bring in the sample you want to match and they will mix it up on the spot. It's not cheap, but they really know their stuff and the quality is good.
Vancouver Washington or Vancouver BC?

Washington. They are on the corner of Highway 99 and 99th Street.

Washington. They are on the corner of Highway 99 and 99th Street.
If I find myself over there I’ll check it out. But I try not to find myself over there for obvious reasons lol. I really don’t like the Vancouver/Portland area

FINALLY did the 1st fire on my /6 today. That exhaust manifold with the KBS exhaust paint still looks great. Didnt bubble and peel off even though it did overheat to point of antifreeze gurgle on that 1st fire. I figured out why and fixed that, let it cool and ran it up to temp 2 more times and so far no discoloration or anything. Time will tell.
They tell ya to ease up on the "bake in" of the manifold paint, start and run til its like "1/2 warm" let cool, repeat a couple times before "giving it He11"
Im hoping that 5 months of sitting, to "fully cure" between applying and the manifold getting hot for the 1st time, will be a "good enough" "plan B" for cure-in.

Hey guys. I have a late model slant six I want to eventually build for performance. When I get around to taking it out and working on it I want to use that opportunity to paint it up nice. Since it’s a late model (‘77), I want to use a proper blue engine enamel, and preferably a brush on as I believe they’re more resilient. Any suggestions on what paint to go with?
Give these guys a try.....
Engine Enamel Online | High Temp Engine Paint | Hirsch Auto-hirschauto.com
Look for Chrysler Blue engine enamel '73-'83.

Just get the Chrysler corporate blue paint code and go have a quart mixed up at your local paint store.

the first last and only time I used POR 15s engine paint I was very dissatisfied. Very poor coverage, almost transparent, I could see thru it as easy as that blue plastic "paper" that you would use to wrap an Easter basket..... and I've used many POR 15 products over the years and usually am the 1st to recommend them.... but not in this case. Id be inclined to try the KBS version "once" for comparison.
I recently tried the KBS MotorCoater on my 318 after being bitterly dissapointed with the duplicolor rattle cans I used on my last motor. It has a nice gloss, brush marks flow out as they advertise and it has pretty good coverage - you could almost get away with 1 coat. Still have to get around to doing the oil pan & timing cover but I reckon I will have about half the can left over once they're done.
They make a chrysler corporate blue but I don't know how correct the colour is.

20220821_191438.jpg

20220821_191412.jpg

-
Back