Engine pull question

-
I didn't want to have to pull my steering column and mess up my suspension alignment I just did.

Pulled the pan last night and found sludge on bottom of pan. I hope it's not babbit or lifter , cam wearing . Haven't had time yet to investigate. This is the break in oil. Car was only driven a couple of miles for an alignment but started and ran quite a bit.
340 sludge.jpeg

you never said it was right after a break-in period Im not sure what is normal but break-in oils have more zinc which is silver in color and heavier than normal oil. I got to say that some minor deburring is to be expected during break-in and the resulting sludge is sure to be metal particle filled and likely more magnetic. is zinc magnetic? Quick Answer. Zinc is generally not a magnetic metal. However, it can be made slightly magnetic when exposed to a very strong magnetic field, but this property immediately dissipates as soon as it is removed from the field.
didnt you say you had some residue on the oil drain plug?

Break-In Oil (SAE 30)
The primary goal during engine break-in is to seat the rings against the cylinder wall. Properly seated rings increase compression, resulting in maximum horsepower; they reduce oil consumption and prevent hot combustion gases from entering the crankcase. To achieve this, however, the oil must allow the correct level of “controlled wear” to occur between the cylinder wall/ring interface while maintaining wear protection on other critical engine parts. Insufficient break-in leaves behind peaks on the cylinder wall that prevent the rings from seating. The deeper valleys, meanwhile, allow excess oil to collect and burn during combustion, increasing oil consumption. Too much wear results in cylinder glazing due to peaks “rolling over” into the valleys and preventing oil from collecting and adequately lubricating the cylinder wall.

Doesn't seem magnetic. i stuck a magnet in it and it seemed to wipe off easily.I'll know more soon.

-
Back