Engine rear support brace, for when trans is out.

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

A mopar racer buddy of mine built a support brace for when trans is out to rebuild, and you still need to be able to push the car around, and close the hood, maybe not scratch up your inner fenders with a suspended across the top kind of brace. Anyways, this rests across the torsion bars. He also said it can be used to support a trans with the engine out as well, and just use hose clamps to clamp it down to the torsion bars when using it for a transmission. I made a duplicate of his but did mine out of tubular steel since it's what I had lying around. Will have to make the torsion bar rests and with the engine in the car tack these in so they are in the right spot.

Heres pix.
Matt

20200104_211544.jpg

20200104_211903.jpg

Was thinking last night, and may just slide small pieces of PVC pipe on it where it sits against the torsion bars this way if doesnt leave marks in them, and it can be used for A,B,C,E body small block cars

Thats awesome.... Been thinking of making one, but I'd make it so it does not involve the bellhousing.... like maybe go to the back of the oil pan area instead??

For engine or transmission I use a ratchet strap around the T bars across the rear of engine oil pan or under the bell housing for whatever will be removed.Or frame to frame.

Guess its show 'an tell time for engine in car, transmission removals.
This is the one I made.
upload_2020-1-5_18-23-4.png

upload_2020-1-5_18-21-28.png

Made to be used with steering link as an additional support method.
upload_2020-1-5_18-24-36.png

Dang, I just used to hook a coat hanger and wrap it around the hood torsion bars....Never supported a motor by itself from the bottom, I used the top across the inner fenderwells dealio on some shop rags.

Dang, I just used to hook a coat hanger and wrap it around the hood torsion bars....Never supported a motor by itself from the bottom, I used the top across the inner fenderwells dealio on some shop rags.
That's cheatin'! LOL
Actually good way if you can - the shop manuals shows cross fender supports

Last edited:
Good idea, but can you steer the car and push it around the shop with the wooden support you made? The point of the one i made is it allows you to move the vehicle around including steering it with no trans in it.
Not really. It was good for rolling the car back (and forward) but would not work for turning.

-
Back