Engine smoking advice

Small Block Mopar Engine

1. jimmyray

jimmyray Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:55 PM
    I have a 66 Barracuda with an original 273, never gone through as far as I can tell. has 119k+ miles (speedo broken for several years) It is using oil and smokes quite a bit at startup and under WOT, sometimes just at idle! Normally, I would assume a worn ring issue, but I did a compression check, and all 8 cylinders ranged from 135-155 psi! I swapped out the valve guide seals, there were very hard and brittle, and several crumbled. Only helped marginally. I did notice the valves moved in the guides slightly when I pushed on them.

I tried some 20W50 and some oil thickener (stop smoke crap) and it may actually be worse.

I really don't want to pull the engine. Perhaps just a head rebuild? How hard is it to re-ring the motor while in the car? Thoughts?

2. 805moparkid

805moparkid Slant and AFX Guy

Local Time:
    12:55 PM
    could be that ur pvc is stuck and is sucking in oil... and also are u sure that its the engine smoking and not hot oil leaking from a gasket and hitting a header...

3. jimmyray

jimmyray Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Yes, it is definitely coming out of the tailpipes, and a brand new PCV.

4. dodge freak

dodge freak Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:55 PM
    That freaking motor is 44 years old and you want to do a re-ring with the motor in the car--like its 10 years old, I say you are wasting your time.

However it can be done but not the cam bearings. Even the main bearings are going to be a hassle.

I would not do it. You could pull the heads and have them re-built but dropping the oil pan and knocking each piston out and honing the cylinders, you need to turn the crank journals down out of the way and watch you don't hit them, seems like lots of work for a short term gain. What if it still smokes cause it needs oversize pistons?

Sorry, I don't think its a good idea. Its a gamble.

5. T67POWER

T67POWER Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Advance your timing.
    It will help burn the oil off.
    Use a hotter spark plug also.
    You most likely have worn guides.
    Buy a new set of heads at aero racing for $399.a pair.
    509 springs with new guides and seals \\ all rebuilt.

6. dodge freak

dodge freak Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    The compression might look ok with all the oil on the rings right now.

No harm is just taking the heads off and replace/rebuild them and see what happens. Always a chance oil is leaking from the intake gasket and getting suck in to the intake ports.

7. 340 8BBL

340 8BBL Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:55 AM
    good point,might be a leaking intake gasket.cranking compression does not tell the whole story,a leak-down test may help detect worn rings.

8. RustyRatRod

RustyRatRod Bla de blizhibliz de blatde blizi bla bla FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    First, the compression rings have notta thing to do with oil consumption. Nuthin. Second....if you want to stretch it out a bit until the rebuild....which it DOES need, here is a tip. I normally absolutely DETEST engine oil and fuel additives, but through the years, I've found one that really works. It's called. Restore. It comes in a chrome can and is available at any auto parts store. It fills in scratches in the cylinder walls and restores compression and also helps the oil rings restore theor sealing function. I've used it and was pleased everytime. You do however, have to buy a new can with every oil change. Good luck.

9. green1

green1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    So you are saying the 2nd ring does nothing for oil control? Isn't it a scraper?

10. bonehead

bonehead Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1964 if you got 50 k on your engine it was worn out . had to turn speedo back to sell one they would live longer with good care .you have to remember that we traded car every two years. auto companys knew that and built cars that would last for that ....mopar built a car with 5 yr 50k waranty witch caused them to go belly up ........if you cant stand the smoke you are much better off pulling engine and do it right rebuild it will give you lots of enjoyable miles......bonehead

11. 340mopar

340mopar Sorgermotorsports

Local Time:
    11:55 AM
    Smoking at start up = valve guides. Smoke at = WOT rings. She is tired.

Chuck

12. bigdemo1

bigdemo1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    buy a vacuum guage,it will tell you what is worn

13. ramcharger

ramcharger Dismember

Local Time:
    12:55 PM
    Engine Smoking Advice? I've always found it quite difficult to roll an engine in a paper, have you considered a large pipe? :read2:

Just kidding. :)

340mopar is right. Smoking on startup or deacceleration is valve guides. Smoking on WOT and cruise is worn rings. Sounds like you have both and it's just tired.

14. bumnround

bumnround Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I've got that exact same tired 273 in a 67 cuda. I got a fresh 360 to go in this winter.

15. goldfish65

goldfish65 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Oil additive called tx7, I was very skeptical but it's amazing how much it has reduced the smoking and oil consumption on my '65 273.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.