Engine stand

-

Docmcg

Reaction score
Getting ready to assemble my /6 motor soon. I recall when I had the motor on a stand to tear down the it wasn’t really balanced correctly. Wanted to spin on its own like it wasn’t balanced correctly. Is there a certain way to mount it on the stand so that it’s balanced properly?Thanks.

Adjust the mounting arms so the center of the hub is centered on the block. If that's not possible, having it a little higher towards the head will help it be more balanced when you put the head on. Regardless, a slant on a stand is somewhat tippy, and even more so with the head installed. Be ready for it to go further than you expect every time you roll it over. And if you are using a three-wheel stand get rid of it for a four-wheel stand. The three-wheelers can tip over way too easy. Ask me how I know...

This photo is of the block centered too high. It was workable for the block only but VERY top heavy when the head went on.

DSCN0815.JPG

This photo is a better balance. Note the center of the hub is closer to the head. Regardless of how you rig it, head on vs. head off makes a ton of difference in balance and roll. Be alert at all times.

DSCN1342.JPG

-
Back