Engine Swap

-

Vinny ‘65

Still Mopar, after all these years!
Reaction score
’m looking for any help or information to swap a 273 engine to a 360 in a 1965 Barracuda with a 4 speed trans. I know the engine mounts must be replaced but they’re not available anymore from Shumacher. And I’m told that I have to replace the flywheel with an externally balanced one. Any help in where I can find one and what else I might run into. I’m buying an ATK 360 engine.
Thanks

I don’t think u will find a small flywheel for ur stock bell housing. U will need 1 for a 10.5 fw. If u buy an engine from Blue Print it will come internally balanced and dyno tested. Check with Johnny Mac on here. Kim

Oil Pan will be different as will the water pump unless you swap to a 70-up radiator.

I think only one motor mount is different, not both.

Shumacher still has the mounts. They are just out of stock. i had the same issue. Call Brewers Perfomance. He has a complete linkage set up for your conversion. Makes it way easier than trying to find all the parts that will work. Also , unless you already know, you may need to change the bellhousing and flywheel too. Brewers will be able to tell you this info. If you need to change these then you might as well change the trans too to the later slip yolk style. They hold up better than the ball and trunion driveshaft. Then you may need to upgrade to 8 3/4 . If you have the 7 1/4 it will not hold up to the power.

Shumacher still has the mounts. They are just out of stock. i had the same issue. Call Brewers Perfomance. He has a complete linkage set up for your conversion. Makes it way easier than trying to find all the parts that will work. Also , unless you already know, you may need to change the bellhousing and flywheel too. Brewers will be able to tell you this info. If you need to change these then you might as well change the trans too to the later slip yolk style. They hold up better than the ball and trunion driveshaft. Then you may need to upgrade to 8 3/4 . If you have the 7 1/4 it will not hold up to the power.
Thanks for the info. I’ll check it out. I do have an 8 3/4 posi rear, but still have the ball and grunion driveshaft.

Nice looking car. Welcome to the greatest Mopar site on the web. There are some really knowledgeable members on this site. I personally am not one of them . But I will always add my 2 cents.

I put a 340 4spd. in a 65 years ago. The only thing I remembered was it sucked back then . No web for info, no parts venders for parts. But we got her done. She wasn't pretty like yours but she was really a fun hand full to drive with bias ply tires.

I found an old picture of her sitting behind the garage back in the late 70's.

Some of us like pictures to look at, who wants to read when we can look at car ****. Show us some!

And don't forget to become a gold member or your inbox fills up real quick. Pictures and a gold membership goes a long way here. LOL

011.jpg

I don’t think u will find a small flywheel for ur stock bell housing. U will need 1 for a 10.5 fw. If u buy an engine from Blue Print it will come internally balanced and dyno tested. Check with Johnny Mac on here. Kim
Just a heads up the 408 from blue print is externally balanced.

Ah yes, the old "snowball effect"!!! LOL

That is for sure. Hopefully, I'll finish mine up tomorrow. Still buying little pieces and parts. I'm running a MP 360 - 380 hp crate engine in a 66 Dart. I have to reinstall the Doug's headers and mini-starter tomorrow.

Just a reminder, Garlits' show is next weekend in Ocala. You might be able to find a bellhousing there. If it's aluminum, check all the threaded holes. I had to helicoil a bunch in my cheap bellhousing.

There is a great book, Chrysler A-833 Transmissions - How to Rebuild and Modify by Jamie Passos that has all the transmission and bellhousing differences. Bought one from Barnes and Noble

Last edited:
That is for sure. Hopefully, I'll finish mine up tomorrow. Still buying little pieces and parts. I'm running a MP 360 - 380 hp crate engine in a 66 Dart. I have to reinstall the Doug's headers and mini-starter tomorrow.

Just a reminder, Garlits' show is next weekend in Ocala. You might be able to find a bellhousing there. If it's aluminum, check all the threaded holes. I had to helicoil a bunch in my cheap bellhousing.

There is a great book, Chrysler A-833 Transmissions - How to Rebuild and Modify by Jamie Passos that has all the transmission and bellhousing differences. Bought one from Barnes and Noble
Thanks.
What year bell housing and from what models can I use?

Thanks.

Nice looking car. Welcome to the greatest Mopar site on the web. There are some really knowledgeable members on this site. I personally am not one of them . But I will always add my 2 cents.

I put a 340 4spd. in a 65 years ago. The only thing I remembered was it sucked back then . No web for info, no parts venders for parts. But we got her done. She wasn't pretty like yours but she was really a fun hand full to drive with bias ply tires.

I found an old picture of her sitting behind the garage back in the late 70's.

Some of us like pictures to look at, who wants to read when we can look at car ****. Show us some!

And don't forget to become a gold member or your inbox fills up real quick. Pictures and a gold membership goes a long way here. LOL

View attachment 1715416959
Thanks. How do you become a gold member?

Thanks.
What year bell housing and from what models can I use?

I'm using a 3515724 in my D/Dart from a 72-73 ABE bodies

Other bell housing part numbers include:
2843887 --- 68 A body ------- cast iron
2892482 --- 69-71 ABE body - aluminum
2892513 --- 70-71 BC body -- aluminum
There might be a couple more that you can use. Hopefully someone will chime in.

You'll be spending a little over a grand for all the clutch stuff. You'll need a new z-bar (shorter) and mtg bracket (?), clutch pivot on the trans (bell housing specific), clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, clutch fork, shields on both the bottom of the bell housing and the front, flywheel and pressure plate mtg bolts, mini starter. I think I have a around $1500 in my clutch setup alone. I'll have to look for my receipts for part numbers.

I would get a bell housing and then contact Brewer's Performance to get a list of parts and pricing for that particular one. Wayne is based in Ohio and he does deliver parts to shows. I picked up my stuff at the Norwalk show. Check out his website.

I have Doug's headers on the car too.

I'm using a 3515724 in my D/Dart from a 72-73 ABE bodies

Other bell housing part numbers include:
2843887 --- 68 A body ------- cast iron
2892482 --- 69-71 ABE body - aluminum
2892513 --- 70-71 BC body -- aluminum
There might be a couple more that you can use. Hopefully someone will chime in.

You'll be spending a little over a grand for all the clutch stuff. You'll need a new z-bar (shorter) and mtg bracket (?), clutch pivot on the trans (bell housing specific), clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, clutch fork, shields on both the bottom of the bell housing and the front, flywheel and pressure plate mtg bolts, mini starter. I think I have a around $1500 in my clutch setup alone. I'll have to look for my receipts for part numbers.

I would get a bell housing and then contact Brewer's Performance to get a list of parts and pricing for that particular one. Wayne is based in Ohio and he does deliver parts to shows. I picked up my stuff at the Norwalk show. Check out his website.

I have Doug's headers on the car too.
Thanks for all the information. It’ll help a lot.

-
Back