Engine With Transmission Attached Installation - Pros & Cons

-

bradfields

Reaction score
Almost ready to install the engine and transmission in my 71 Demon and was wondering what everybody's thoughts were on installing the engine and transmission together as one unit? I've always installed drive trains a piece at a time, but all of the car builders on tv seem to install the whole shebang together, just wondering what everybody else does. Oh, I'm installing a 340 with a 4 speed, and I'm also a one man show with no helpers.

If you gotta put both in, I say do it all at once. My neighbor's son in law has a horrid freight screw drive load adjuster for his hoist. I'm thinkin' seriously of making a copy.

Many guys advocate coming in from the bottom with the K member, I've always gone in from the top. With the confines of an A body bay, it might help to leave the water pump off next time.

I have put them in together from both the top & bottom.....by myself. Going in form the bottom, while there is a bit more work dealing with the front end was a lot less taxing on my sanity.....

I've done several swaps on several different kinds of car, all from the top, and I will never put them in separately again. Especially on a manual transmission. And even though it's easier, I still have no love for wrestling with a 727 in the confines of a car 18" off the ground.

I really want to try the "Drop the body over the K member" method. Seems far far less infuriating. (and better for the underhood paint)

I've pulled and dropped in a couple sb's with 904's attached by myself.

Not horrible, you definitely need a load adjuster to do it as you have to put everything in at a pretty severe angle. If you're pulling them out it helps to have a plug for the rear of the transmission, especially the auto's, as they will drain out the tailshaft otherwise and make a mess.

Dropping the K member and lifting the car off seems like it would be less of a headache if you need to pull the suspension though, I may give this a try when I reinstall the engine in my butterscotch Dart.

Sounds like about everybody puts Em in together, I'll give it a shot. Just to make things clear, I jack the back of the car up as much as possible, do I just leave the front sitting on the tires, or should I jack it up too?

Iput mine in a couple days ago, motor/trans together with no helper. Went pretty smooth. A helper would have been better while dealing with the headers. I did have the rear axles up on stands with rear wheels off the ground 8", the front was on the ground to start but I also had it off the ground as much as 4-6" at times. Good luck with yours

motor2i.jpg

motorin.jpg

motor3e.jpg

motor4b.jpg

-
Back