Enough rocker arm adjustment

Slant 6 Engines

1. cuda6867

cuda6867 Active Member

Local Time:
    5:56 PM
    How much can you shave off of the slant six head without having to change push rods or rockers and still be able to get enough valve lash adjustment. This is going on a stock motor with a two barrel carb. I'm looking to just bump the compression some.

2. armyofchuckness

armyofchuckness The Flying Valiant

Local Time:
    8:56 PM
    It depends on the block, but I had .100" shaved off the head and .005 shaved off the block to make sure it's flat and I still use stock pushrods without trouble.

3. vitamindart

vitamindart Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:56 PM
    .120 off my block and just a clean up cut on mine and stockers work.

4. Charrlie_S

Charrlie_S Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:56 PM
    From personal experience, and from others you should be fine at .100 on a 225 engine. Over .100 is a maybe. The cam makes a difference. With a otherwise stock engine, don't go overboard on milling. You might get into problems of detonation. Keep the CR between 8.5 and 9.0 to 1, but milling is worth doing.
    Just a FYI, A 170 engine likes shorter pushrods, at .100, not as forgiving as a 225.

5. weaverjsnw

weaverjsnw Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:56 PM
    I shaved about .050 off my head using sandpaper glued to a thick sheet of glass. I slid it back and forth for a couple days on this setup. I heard that's how it was done back in the old days. Boy what a difference in power! Only mod I've done so far....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.