Entire family vacation

-

Steve welder

Reaction score
I have this dream id like to make reality within the next few years.....I want to take my family on a group vacation.... I was thinking something along the lines of a Disney cruise out of Florida, but open to all suggestions.... Where talking eight adults and seven children who now range in age from ten to sixteen.....
I was thinking thirty grand easy..... Maybe id just ask everyone to pay air fare to Florida and I would pick up the price of the cruise..... One of my adult children who is very successful has taken my wife and I on spectacular vacations and doesn't need my financial help, the other adult child doesn't need help either, but thats not the point.
My third as well as my beloved cousin are ok but couldn't really afford this
I want them all there
This is something I want to do soon.....We dont know what Gods plan is for us and seeing that my wife and I are closing in on seventy very fast, to fast LOL, plus the fact that she has fought Stage four cancer now eleven years, I think its time
Sure id like to take that money and buy the classic car I always wanted or another project and this time do it right but the trip with all the kids, grandkids and cousin and her family, man id like that....Id order all those tee shirts with my last name on it, the kids are free to do what they want while they are on vacation, with only one request that we eat dinner all together.
Thoughts? and has anyone done anything like this......Thanks.

That sounds like a great plan! We have our 40th anniversary next August, and are planning a similar trip. Only be 6/8 adults, and have priced out veranda cabins on a Disney Cruise of 4 days/3 nights in October '22 (would do longer, but daughters need to save/protect PTO for Holidays). Airfare to FL, all in should be around $15 to $18K.

We did this a few years ago when middle daughter worked for Disney Cruise Lines and had a blast - everything top-notch!

if you are not set on a cruise, my advise would be...find an airBNB

may i suggest this one, with its own racetrack?

liltalmeanmain.jpg

Little Talladega - Castles for Rent in Pomona, Missouri, United States (airbnb.com)

we travel with friends from church, and our group can he similar to that (2-4 families so between 4 and 8 adults, and 6 to 15 kids)

we have had great times renting huge houses where each adult couple has their own room and there are enough rooms for the kids to figure out what to do

then we have the same schedule, do whatever you want but try to do dinner together

since we are always in a big house, a lot of times there will be 3 or 4 of us cooking together

as for the cruise...that, to me, seems to specific
not sure how to explain it, but that seems like a very black or white thing where if people dont like it, i think they will not like the entire vacation

of course, with a group that big, knowing it will be all inclusive prevents you from surprises at the end

Really depends on the type of people you are.... City folk or country folk ?
I myself like camping or some type of outdoor vacation ( skiing , boating etc)
but others prefer to be in a hotel somewhere.
You could rent a big houseboat on a beautiful lake . The kids could fish and swim , maybe get some jet skiis ,
Catering is often available.
White water rafting is a big deal out here . Check out Mackay Bar River trips . Trips down the Salmon River through wilderness that are fully catered and an experience of a life time ! People come from all over the world. And 30k is about right...lol

My family did that in Hawaii.
My cousin got married there.
That made it easier. It was a great time.
Memories are priceless.
I hope your plan comes to fruition.
I would think input from the adults would help choose what and where ?

Cruise is a great idea...as in everyone has their own space to retire to! Not like a huge house or camp trip. Its hard to get everyone onboard even for activities, ie Vegas. Hope you like water and the relatives. Spinnaker (Hornblower?) cruises has much smaller boats for a more social cruise.

Sign us up, Dad! What's another 6 people to your headcount?

In '91, Dad did the same sort of thing from MD to Vegas because he and Mom always wanted to go. They supplied the airfare, hotel and meals. Us kids had to have our own spending money. A good time was had by all.

My father's side of our family does this every other year. All my aunts, uncles and some cousins and such will go to the Caribbean. Everyone pays their own way but all stay in the same hotel. Most will lounge on the beach but some will do different adventures. Your not tied to anything, just do as you wish. Last time I couldn't go in early 2019 to Jamaica and regret it still. My family is a great bunch of partiers so that makes it so much easier.

Riddler

.............Review the movie "Vacation" and then decide...........

LOL Only kidding

my wife and I Love cruising, we are repeat Carnival cruisers. when the grandson is older we would like to do a Disney Cruise. depending on the kids interests, you may want to consider other Cruise lines, I know Carnival has several Kids options for clubs and activities.

If and thats a big if, I can pull this off, the reason I thought Disney cruise is it will out of Florida and Disney has their own island, plus they have a lot of activities for the kids.
Eating is another issue and the ship is well suited for that, so family dinners every night isn't a problem plus im almost sure there is a adult dining restaurant that the adults could. take turns going to if they wanted
My daughter took us on a Disney cruise around the Mediterranean a few years back, we sailed and returned out of Barcelona and it was really nice, so thats why I thought of Disney first, but I will discuss it with my daughter and see what she thinks
Thanks for all the replies

I've been on 3 cruises over the years, the best vacations I've had and the best bang for the buck.
The food more than paid for the cruise.
Took in the scenery and enjoyed the activities.

Just get um all together for a week's stay at the crappiest east Harlem motel you can find. Then they'll have a greater appreciation for where they are now.

Just remember that this trip will be etched into the kids minds for eternity where as the adults it will fade after a short while. And the parents will enjoy watching the kids have a great time .

Just get um all together for a week's stay at the crappiest east Harlem motel you can find. Then they'll have a greater appreciation for where they are now.
I got a great hotel in south side Chicago that I had the pleasure of spending a night in back in '90. Noisy red neon sign right outside the window, no A/C in July, fights in the alley, sirens all night. It was awesome......to leave.
I gave the older (black) cabby the address and he looked back at me over his glasses and said "You wanna go here?" Ha, should have known....

I got a great hotel in south side Chicago that I had the pleasure of spending a night in back in '90. Noisy red neon sign right outside the window, no A/C in July, fights in the alley, sirens all night. It was awesome......to leave.
I gave the older (black) cabby the address and he looked back at me over his glasses and said "You wanna go here?" Ha, should have known....
Did the train come by so often you didn't even notice it?

How would you have any knowledge of what my children and my cousin appreciate and what they don't?

Different strokes for different folks. Just one seasick could spoil for all. We went on one cruise. Three day Christmas cruise to Bahamas. No seasick but did run out of things to see and do. No more big boat rides for us.
We've been to Pigeon Forge TN a few times and still haven't seen it all. Dinner Theaters, zip lines, you name it. Bro-in-law and I spent a whole day touring all the go cart tracks.

-
Back