EQ heads-valve cover choice

-

WacDad Miller

Reaction score
Anybody that are using the Magnum EQ heads, what valve covers are you using. I have a set of M/T covers for an LA, the bolt pattern will work. However, the sealing surface on the EQ heads are so thick, the valve covers wont clear the edges. Any ideas? I could mill the covers, but, rather not do that.

With a typical cork type gasket the covers edges touch the heads? I had some Moroso LA style covers on the NZ made EQ heads using just one gasket. Granted they (covers) can all vary.
If you have a clearance issue I’d just double up the gaskets. Skim coat of ultra black silicone on one gasket and sandwich them together. Might need longer bolts, if using studs you should still be good. Added benefit of doubling up is added clearance from covers to rocker arms (depending on what rockers you are running)
Best benefit is you get to use those nice valve covers:thumbsup:

I was thinking the same thing as I was writing this thread. I don’t see any reason why I can’t use 2 gaskets. . And I am running roller rockers so the clearance would be good. Just needed that push over the edge on the decision, thanks!

I’m now using those Moroso covers on a set of TF heads, still doubling up gaskets. Only now it’s for rocker clearance with the covers baffles I fabricated.

Felpro makes a really thick valve cover gasket I believe the part number is 1646 not cheap but they work they are .313 thick if my memory still works. We use these on Mopar performance valve covers to keep them from hitting the intake manifold.

I’m now using those Moroso covers on a set of TF heads, still doubling up gaskets. Only now it’s for rocker clearance with the covers baffles I fabricated.
Ill check them out thanks.
Felpro makes a really thick valve cover gasket I believe the part number is 1646 not cheap but they work they are .313 thick if my memory still works. We use these on Mopar performance valve covers to keep them from hitting the intake manifold.

EQ head, LA gasket.
100_2431.JPG

I have MT valve covers on my EQ heads and yes, the gaskets didn't line up well as identified in the picture above. I went ahead and used them anyway and they have not leaked so far.

IMG_4792.JPG

Fel Pro VS50184R. They are they HD High temp versions that are thick. They are LA application. Thick enough they should hold they cover flange off the head to seal.

Anybody that are using the Magnum EQ heads, what valve covers are you using. I have a set of M/T covers for an LA, the bolt pattern will work. However, the sealing surface on the EQ heads are so thick, the valve covers wont clear the edges. Any ideas? I could mill the covers, but, rather not do that.
Using fabricated aluminum covers on NZ Magnum heads with the Magnum silicon gaskets.
This picture is from 5-6 years ago when I first built it.
No lip on these covers.

78C65B3E-7DCF-48B1-BD7B-4AEEF645060F.jpeg

-
Back