Espo Springs 'n Things install feedback ***

-
It looks much better...I'd raise the front torsion bars just a titch now :)

These were special ordered to be stock +1" ride height, I believe xhd ride stiffness.

I helped a member install some springs on their car. It went ok, but a few issues to work out.

I'm not going to try to bash them, but just show you some of the installation issues and give my feedback for those considering them.

Overall they seem pretty good. I like the ride height, it has a nice stance.

One issue that we had is the bushings that they shipped were longer than the stock ones. When I put them into the spring end to end, there was more shaft of the bushing before the shoulder could bottom out (they were wider). The stock bushings will be bottomed out on the shoulder when installed by about 3/8" to 1/2", so we started comparing their shackle to one extra from Mancini that I had spare in my tool box.

Here's what we found:

Here's where we compared their shackle to Mancini's:

View attachment Shackle A01 B.jpg

Here's their shackle with bushings compared to their shackle without bushings:

View attachment Shackle A03 B.jpg

Here's their longer bushings on the top pin and Mancini bushing on the bottom. Look at how many threads are showing on each end. There's not much to grab onto once you put the end piece on to start the threads.

View attachment Shackle A05 B.jpg

Now here's their shackle with the Mancini bushing compared to their shackle without any bushings:

View attachment Shackle A07 B.jpg

Here's comparing the Mancini bushing on the top to the Springs 'n Things bushing on the bottom:

View attachment Shakl Bush A02 b.jpg

So I went with the Mancini bushings as the mounting brackets are hard enough to move with them and I don't feel that we need any more interference in the bushings. Springs 'n Things said that they will work and haven't had any complaints, but I didn't want to try them and find out, so I took the safe path and used what I know and has worked for me in the past with no problems...

Then when we were putting the springs up, I had to put the shackle almost flat (parallel to the ground) to get it to line up enough to start the bolts. Normally when I use the MP supeer stock springs, they are at a 30° - 45° angle.

I was concerned about that, but after placing a jack under it and compressing it a little it was sitting ok.

Then when we finished the other one and lifted it up with the floor jack, the other spring shackle started moving forward and up instead of rearward... I had to lower the jack and then use a pry bar and re-jack it up to get it to go rearward like it's supposed to do.

I am concerned that it may want to go forward again if someone jacks it up by the frame and then tries to lower it without making sure it goes the proper direction. Maybe I'm wrong, I hope so...

But other than that, they are ok. They sit up nice in the rear and have a nice ride to them. The owner was happy with the end result.

I'm not going to say don't buy from Espo Springs 'n Things, go with them if you wish. I just wanted to let you know how some of the issues that we encountered to help you work through it if you do...

They were helpful when we called (at least 4 calls) and helped with our concerns and offered suggestions. They even called back within less than 10 minutes after leaving a message. I give them an "A" for customer support after the sale...

It looks much better...I'd raise the front torsion bars just a titch now :)

Thanks C. I wasn't sure, but will pass it along so we can raise it up a little. I told her to come back and we should re-torque the u-bolts in a week or two after they settle in. We can crank it up a bit then...

Titch... Is that more or less than a smidgen???

Neither espo or mancini make their parts. They are just middlemen.
Perfect example,choose your parts wisely.

When I ordered my parts from ESPO everything fit like a glove. The whole process took a couple of hours with a floor jack and hand tools. The springs will settle after a few hundred miles and you won't have to worry about the shackle flipping. The ride height front and back looks fine, I wouldn't touch a thing on hers. Here's a pic of the +1 springs after they settled.

IMG_6702.jpg

Karl! You beat me to it. Was just going to post my own Before/After pics but yours are of a better resolution.

Karl was hero you guys. It was a very educational process too! My role was sort of observational cheerleader/apprentice.

The springs were simply Rear Leaf Springs (5) for a 1971 Dart, with +1 inch.

Brain T - stance looks fantastic. Comforted they don't flatten too much.

good read thank you

My ESPO springs and shackles just arrived and will be installed in the next week or two

Attachments

• IMG_6805.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 714
Good to see some pics. I just got a new set of ESPO springs myself. They will not be going on probably for a little bit. I went with the stock height springs.

original pic looks like stock ride height,were the originals just too soft,
..how is the ride with the new springs?

X2 on the stock ride height. The single worst thing you can do for handling for these cars is jack up the rear. Not bashing as I know many people like that look.

Every leaf spring I ever installed always settled whether it was espo ,mopar xhd,or superstock springs.So I installed espo +1' springs in my 68 Cuda.They supplied me with a 340 car spring 6 leafs per side.I bought cheap hangers on ebay and stock bushings.car rides great .I anticipate it will settle and if it doesn't I wiil lower it with correct size block.

Attachments

• cuda painted 003.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 631
Well I'll post my pics anyway. Before/after.

I would leave the front as is. The rears will settle after some poundage and probably sit about an inch lower when settled. My Duster went through the same resting process with the same ESPO springs.

Mine are +1" and have been installed for about 8 years now, though the car has been on stands for some of that. Pretty sure they have settled . I think your Dart looks much better. I like a little rake on a muscle car.

As for handling, I've never broken the rear tires loose without meaning to, even on loopy freeway ramps well above the posted limits. I'd be more concerned with the front end for handling. I had the k member stiffened, 11/16 tie rod ends, and a factory sway bar with poly bushings. I think it handles pretty good for a RWD thats 43 years old.
No offense at all to GMachineDartGT, he gives great advice on handling, but most will not push their cars to his extent.

original pic looks like stock ride height,where the originals just too soft,
..how is the ride with the new springs?

The springs were the original ones I think so just old & worn out. Also I would drive around Chicago and the rear would literally scrape the road when I hit a bump/pothole. Did not feel or sound good. Now it's sooooo much better - like ice cream in the derrière. I'm extremely pleased with the stance too.

Every leaf spring I ever installed always settled whether it was espo ,mopar xhd,or superstock springs.So I installed espo +1' springs in my 68 Cuda.They supplied me with a 340 car spring 6 leafs per side.I bought cheap hangers on ebay and stock bushings.car rides great .I anticipate it will settle and if it doesn't I wiil lower it with correct size block.

Nice looking vehicle. Good to hear.

My Duster also has the Espo +1 springs. These have been on for a few years, so they should be completely settled. Just pay NO attention to the rusty quarter panel. Ill get to that soon. lol

i had Mopar XHD springs on my Duster for 7 years and it still sat too high.I made new front perches with the hole located 1 1/4 inch higher to get it down to a stock height.It surprised me because i heard so many complaints about the Mopar XHD springs sagging after a couple of years.

-
Back