Estimates for 1/4 time?

-
I'm working on building a 1983 Dodge D150 for racing. Just curious what people think I will run for a 1/4 mile time this next season. 3,200 lbs. Wide Ratio A833 OD 4 speed. 8 3/4 with 4.10 gears, Custom made Caltrac Style traction bars. Double Adjustable QA1 shocks. New heavy duty truck leaf springs. 1979 360 block bored .030 over, Sealed Power Hypereutectic pistons bringing it up to 9.8:1 compression ratio, 1970 "J" heads (1.88/1.60 valves), Erson RV camshaft (Lift: .420 int/.443 exh, Duration: 270 int, 280 exh, @.050: 204 int/ 214 exh, 112 LSA) advanced 7 degrees for a lot of throttle response and low-end grunt, PBM hydraulic lifters, stock rockers, Weiand Action Plus intake and Carter 625 CFM Competition Carb jetted for 100 octane fuel. Will run 15x10 rims with appropriate fitting slicks.

Since there are a few of us here building trucks, can you share how you got yours so light? I know I would welcome any ideas.

I'm working on building a 1983 Dodge D150 for racing. Just curious what people think I will run for a 1/4 mile time this next season. 3,200 lbs. Wide Ratio A833 OD 4 speed. 8 3/4 with 4.10 gears, Custom made Caltrac Style traction bars. Double Adjustable QA1 shocks. New heavy duty truck leaf springs. 1979 360 block bored .030 over, Sealed Power Hypereutectic pistons bringing it up to 9.8:1 compression ratio, 1970 "J" heads (1.88/1.60 valves), Erson RV camshaft (Lift: .420 int/.443 exh, Duration: 270 int, 280 exh, @.050: 204 int/ 214 exh, 112 LSA) advanced 7 degrees for a lot of throttle response and low-end grunt, PBM hydraulic lifters, stock rockers, Weiand Action Plus intake and Carter 625 CFM Competition Carb jetted for 100 octane fuel. Will run 15x10 rims with appropriate fitting slicks.
If that's the truck in your avatar yeah I'm not sure that's 3,200 lbs...

@318willrun ^^^ looks like you may have a long road ahead of you.. LOL..
?? Not sure what you mean.. My road has been fun, and continues to be fun. No end or destination. But this thread isn't about my truck. Have a guess what the OP will run ??

If that's the truck in your avatar yeah I'm not sure that's 3,200 lbs...
ran it across a grain station elevator scale with dad and I in it, 3,700 pounds on the screen. I'm 185. He's around 300+. There's the math.

Since there are a few of us here building trucks, can you share how you got yours so light? I know I would welcome any ideas.
I haven't done anything to the truck other than swap it from a 225 Slant 6 to the 360 and swap the 8 1/4 out for the 8 3/4. If I knew I would tell you, but the grain elevator scale showed 3,700 pounds with my dad and I in it. Subtract our weights and it would be around 3,200. Maybe I should check for heavy rust weight loss LOL. If I had an explanation I would gladly give it to you.

I haven't done anything to the truck other than swap it from a 225 Slant 6 to the 360 and swap the 8 1/4 out for the 8 3/4. If I knew I would tell you, but the grain elevator scale showed 3,700 pounds with my dad and I in it. Subtract our weights and it would be around 3,200. Maybe I should check for heavy rust weight loss LOL. If I had an explanation I would gladly give it to you.
My guess is the scale is in question. IF yours is a long bed with p/s, I'd guess it's around 3700+ without spare, jack, and a 1/4 tank of gas. I've lighten my '80 long bed up a bit, and it's back up to about 3600 (we had it to 3500)

My guess is the scale is in question. IF yours is a long bed with p/s, I'd guess it's around 3700+ without spare, jack, and a 1/4 tank of gas. I've lighten my '80 long bed up a bit, and it's back up to about 3600 (we had it to 3500)
very well could be. I can definitely drive across again and double-check. I have no reason to hide anything and if it was a false read then so be it! I'll just have to go bigger and better to be faster lol

very well could be. I can definitely drive across again and double-check. I have no reason to hide anything. If it was a false read then so be it! I'll just have to go bigger and better to be faster lol
Nobody thinks your hiding anything. Some of us have weighed enough trucks to know approx. weights. IF you had yours down to 3200, we were going to pick your brain for tips !!! Is yours a long bed or short bed ?? I have a 360, 727, and 8.75 in mine. Things I did to lighten mine up are: I took out carpet, heater box, rear bumper, front bumperettes, spare tire holder, replaced both bigger mirrors for one small car mirror, the extra wiring under the hood that I wasn't using, radio and speakers, anything loose not in use, and went manual steering. We had it at 3500 lbs but then went to the 8.75, put the steel wheels back on it, replaced the 318 with a 360, and added traction bars. We are about at 3600 figuring in my head.

Last edited:
Nobody thinks your hiding anything. Some of us have weighed enough trucks to know approx. weights. IF you had yours down to 3200, we were going to pick your brain for tips !!! Is yours a long bed or short bed ?? I have a 360, 727, and 8.75 in mine. Things I did to lighten mine up are: I took out carpet, heater box, rear bumper, front bumperettes, spare tire holder, replaced both bigger mirrors for one small car mirror, the extra wiring under the hood that I wasn't using, anything loosen not in use, and went manual steering. We had it at 3500 lbs but then went to the 8.75, put the steel wheels back on it, replaced the 318 with a 360, and added traction bars. We are about at 3600.
In all actuality I have already done most of the things you listed as well! When I built the 360 and put it in I removed a massive amount of wiring to make it look cleaner in there, carpet was removed a long time ago due to rot and it was now green and no longer red LOL. Heater box is still there to help evacuate heat from the engine. Spare tire holder was never there when my dad got the truck 20 years ago, must've been removed by previous owner. Same as well with anything loose and not using. I tend to remove the tailgate when I do any racing for aerodynamic reasons so there's maybe 50-75 pounds? Or more? I have no clue what that would weigh. Somewhat close but not perfectly exact to what you have done. Sounds more and more like the scale gave off a false reading

In all actuality I have already done most of the things you listed as well! When I built the 360 and put it in I removed a massive amount of wiring to make it look cleaner in there, carpet was removed a long time ago due to rot and it was now green and no longer red LOL. Heater box is still there to help evacuate heat from the engine. Spare tire holder was never there when my dad got the truck 20 years ago, must've been removed by previous owner. Same as well with anything loose and not using. I tend to remove the tailgate when I do any racing for aerodynamic reasons so there's maybe 50-75 pounds? Or more? I have no clue what that would weigh. Somewhat close but not perfectly exact to what you have done. Sounds more and more like the scale gave off a false reading
Nice. I saved almost 40 lbs by going to manual steering. My tailgate is still on, and will stay on. It's my wife's favorite part of the entire truck, she loves the decal, plus it gives the clean look/farm truck (although she's plenty rusty :D) Just curious, have you had it to a drag way previously ?

Nice. I saved almost 40 lbs by going to manual steering. My tailgate is still on, and will stay on. It's my wife's favorite part of the entire truck, she loves the decal, plus it gives the clean look/farm truck (although she's plenty rusty :D) Just curious, have you had it to a drag way previously ?
To legitimate drag races? Not yet! I have taken it to unofficial airport drag races and I could not get it to hook for the life of me. That's where all of the traction and suspension upgrades came from and that's what got the cogs turning on ET's

To legitimate drag races? Not yet! I have taken it to unofficial airport drag races and I could not get it to hook for the life of me. That's where all of the traction and suspension upgrades came from and that's what got the cogs turning on ET's
Especially long beds, they are miserable to get to hook up with any power at all. Ask me how I know.... and don't even ask me to explain what I did to end wheel hop :D :D

In my humble opinion, first step in getting a vehicle to hook, is get the biggest pair of real slicks on it that fit. Not dual purpose street/strip tires. Get whatever wheels it takes to get them under the car/truck, and swap em at the track.
That is the best starting point for further tuning. If your spinning your tires, you are just spinning your wheels, metaphorically.

Be sure to keep us updated. Trucks are fun to work with.
The first lbs. off are pretty easy, then you have to really work for it! I ate a lot of metal chips grinding off frame rivets for removing some brackets and a crossmember. I removed my parking brake lever/cables for about 14lbs. I liked the look of the original radio, so I gutted the case and saved about 3#s.

I'll be watchin your thread.

What everyones thoughts on if I switch to 4.30 gears instead? Any ET gain?

-
Back