ET'S with ported J/or other iron heads SB

-

dare_dude

Reaction score
Just wondwering what kind of ETS you folks are running with iron heads ported or unported? Also what is your combo?

My ported Js went 11.60 @117mph in a 3600lb B body. Its a 340, 11:1 compression 260/265 @ .050" solid cam, had a victor intake and holley 750 on it. That was with a 30" tire, 5.13s and a 5500 rpm converter.

dare_dude said:
Just wondwering what kind of ETS you folks are running with iron heads ported or unported? Also what is your combo?

11.66 with P&P 202/160 - 596s on 10.4CR 388ci SB 3350lb Dart trapping at 6600rpm w/ RB cam 254*@.050 554/520 vl.

I just don't understand why you guys stick with these heads. There are so many better heads out there even besides the fact that they aren't 30 year old castings that generally need extensive work just to get them back to near original. And if you are going to port them why? Save them for the resto guys, get yourself some real race heads, you'll be happier in the long run, trust me, I've been there and done that.

I guess the run with whatcha got holds true in some cases.

Hey ! I got J- heads :axe: It revert's all back to how much $ do you have to spend on the build ! Heads are easily swapable in future upgrades.

12.33 @109.260
That is ported J's with small valves (1.88+1.60), Mopar 484 cam, MP 10.5:1 crat shortblock, Weiand Xcellerator intake, Holley 750, 1 7/8" Hookers, 3.91's and 26" Hoosiers in the Swinger (3110lbs)

GJ it is called "money" not that hard to understand. Also anybody that has the money can write checks and buy the best stuff to go fast, but it takes the real hot rodder to make the "old" stuff work to make power. It's how hot rodding was founded.

Chuck

"J" heads with Stock valves and mild port.

75 Dart Swinger. 3480Lbs with me in it.

360 .030 over
Weiand x-cellerator intake
cam is sum 20-232-4 .480/.480 lift 280/280
9 1/2" X 26" MT's
Mp performance convertor 2400-2600 stall
8 1/4 suregrip with 4.10's
cheetah manual valve body
904 tranny
ss springs
3 way adjustable shocks
MP distributor with msd2 coil
Iron "J" heads with stock valves and mild port
Dynomax headers with X pipe, 2 1/2" exhaust
Magnaflow "wideopen" mufflers

60' 1.83
1/4 12.95@103.69

A good set of iron heads will be close money wise to a set of new aluminum heads. Especially ported. It comes down to airflow, and the "whole package". You dont need much airflow to run well if the package is efficient at accelerating. So iron heads can carry you way into the 11s and probably closwe to 10s with moderate porting on a 340/360 build prety easy. But they will cost close to the same $$ as a set of RPMs, and the RPMs are lighter, have a better chamber design, and have more potential for future growth.

FWIW, bone stock magnum heads on a 360; 13.7@102

360, 10.6:1 compression, Comp XE268H, Crosswind dual plane, Holley vacuum secondary 600 cfm, Hedman headers, A833OD, 3.55 sure grip. 68 Barracuda

moper said:
A good set of iron heads will be close money wise to a set of new aluminum heads. Especially ported. It comes down to airflow, and the "whole package". You dont need much airflow to run well if the package is efficient at accelerating. So iron heads can carry you way into the 11s and probably closwe to 10s with moderate porting on a 340/360 build prety easy. But they will cost close to the same $$ as a set of RPMs, and the RPMs are lighter, have a better chamber design, and have more potential for future growth.

My case may be the exception and not the rule but I am only in my "X" heads with porting, milling, adding Ferrera 2.05 / 1.625 valves and Comp springs $600, this is about $700 less that Eddy RPM's not even close to the same cost.

Chuck

Ill add to the mix by saying I do my own porting so my cost is only around $400 total for a set of complete iron heads that flow in the 240 range.Ive seen the out of box edelbrocks compared to stock j heads on a flowbench and they were 20 cfm shy of what I expected so they need a little help just to get the initial flow numbers (to as advertised anyway).Also all the machine shops around here tell you up front they need to check them out and Ive seen first hand many sets with little issues such as seat,guide ect problems wich adds more money.To me they dont seem like such a bargain unless you have the extra money to spend or really need to step up flow wise over a good flowing stock head in wich case your paying for extra porting anyway.

If they came on an existing engine that's one thing, but I wouldn't spend money porting, and replacing valve seats on old heads. The newer aluminum offerings (not just the Edelbrock's) offer much more flow potential, lighter weight (about 40 ugly pounds off the front end), better combustion chambers meaning you can run more compression and less timing advance.

In short I understand money issues but I'd rather go to a junkyard and get some stock magnum heads, have them ported and use them with Chevy roller rockers. You get cheap rockers, and an increase in net valve lift by using the 1.6 or 1.7 rockers available for not much more money. Save up a little longer and you'll have a much better performing package.

Or save up even a little longer and get some aluminum heads. Since I did I'll never go back to cast iron heads, they were well worth the money spent.

Oh and one more thing, the exhaust port on the early heads is not good. Later castings and the Magnum castings are much better. How well your cylinder heads flow will determine the maximum potential of your car. It's all in the heads, any Pro Stock engine builder will tell you that. Spend your money there as that's where the maximum gains are going to be had.

6.98 et@95.50mph 1/8 mile with 1.44 60' 3000 pd barracuda 513 gear j heads air gap intake.6500rpm shift.904 tranny.30x9 tire.340 030over.530/540 cam.

I have run 6.60s 1/8 101mph and 10.59 1/4 124mph 2900lb 68 dart 365ci 590cam on alcohol with a m1 intake 750carb 4.88gear terrible leakdown 15year old hughes street ported heads. Have a set of J's I'am thinking about having fully ported since I have the KB 191 piston I want/need to have a open chamber head. Momma mopar just doesnt have anything available anymore niether does aftermarket sources without changing pistons.

A good set of iron heads will be close money wise to a set of new aluminum heads.

Absolutely correct Moper.

Some guys wont believe it......but heres a 10.9 360 (NOT stroked, NO NOS, NO Turbo) with J's.....The chambers were welded up, but still iron J's.......

Cost would run to about the same as Eddies....

Click here to watch 108-Oz-Charger

A lot depends on what you start with, and what (if anything) you can do yourself. I assume the heads are trashed, and the owner cant do more than pick them up when done. I'm just the type to plan for the worst...lol it sure cuts down on the Murphy's Law occurences... Good work and good parts alone go close to $1000 if you need to have them cleaned and magged. The last set I had needed a coupe bolt holes fixed too. Then you have to port them. I do my own too, so yes, it's cheaper for me to go iron. But the average Joe isnt as well equipped to do the work. I reccommend Magnums more and more, but the basic iron Magnums even in ported form can't move the air a 500hp smallblock needs. The R/T versions can when prepped right. But then you're back into $$. The newer aftermarket iron bare Magnum heads show some promise too, and dont look to be that bad $$ wise. I think my own 422 project will get a set of them.

Moper - So other than a fully ported set of J's....or 308 close chambers...are Eddies the only other cost effective option?..Lets say at under $1500 US?

Moparmal said:
Moper - So other than a fully ported set of J's....or 308 close chambers...are Eddies the only other cost effective option?..Lets say at under $1500 US?

Sorry to butt in, but 308's are 360 open chambered heads. 302's are closed chamber 318 heads.

I agree with most everything said about the iron versus aluminum heads but I have heard of a lot of dissappointment with aluminum heads. I know when I rebuild (poss. stroker) I'll lean hard to going that way if funds are there!

Boy how times have changed!:eek: And here’s another one, interesting how things were back then:Small Block heads W2,5, Aluminum
I started a thread maybe a month or two ago talking about at these new price levels it doesn't make sense to put money into cast iron heads especially when you can get a fully loaded set sent to your door for $703... I have way more into that into my 596 heads.. K line valve guides, stainless steel 202 valves, Crower Springs, chromoly retainers, competition valve job, a couple hours Shop Port time, plus days worth the porting of my own...
The only way of getting my money and time back out of them is to reuse them again on something else..

I started a thread maybe a month or two ago talking about at these new price levels it doesn't make sense to put money into cast iron heads especially when you can get a fully loaded set sent to your door for $703... I have way more into that into my 596 heads.. K line valve guides, stainless steel 202 valves, Crower Springs, chromoly retainers, competition valve job, a couple hours Shop Port time, plus days worth the porting of my own...
The only way of getting my money and time back out of them is to reuse them again on something else..
  • What we don't know is if Speedmaster heads will ever be on sale again for 703 (40% off). So 703, as of today, is unrealistic. To buy today would be over 1100.00
  • IF somebody has iron heads already and have good guides, I've never stuck much more than 175.00 in exhaust valves, springs, and porting stones. Just say'n.
  • Look at the ET slips posted above, some without 2.02's. depends on what somebody's goal is as well.

-
Back